Alexander-Tharpe Fund: Harrison Butker

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Dodd and Johnson and football aside -- seriously -- Bill Curry just gave the most heartfelt, eloquent and ringing defense of diversity and the country's very soul that I can imagine, and at the most opportune time in the history of the country. I wish he would go nationwide with it.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I liked everything above except Curry going political at the end. I am a conservative and I don't think he is. The rest of the speech was great. I knew Bill and we worked at the same company in the Summer while at GT. I wrote recruiting letters for him and knew him on a personal basis when he was Coach at GT. I really resented his leaving GT for Alabama and let him know it, although in hindsight I'm glad he left.

I liked everything above except Curry going political at the end. I am a conservative and I don't think he is. The rest of the speech was great. I knew Bill and we worked at the same company in the Summer while at GT. I wrote recruiting letters for him and knew him on a personal basis when he was Coach at GT. I really resented his leaving GT for Alabama and let him know it, although in hindsight I'm glad he left.
I had similar feelings, but as outspoken as he is about his Christian faith, I have doubts that he is a liberal politically. There is nothing wrong with the diversity he speaks about, as long as it is not simply for the sake of diversity.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Some of the posts regarding Bill Curry are instructive. I have been a fan for many years though the closest I've ever been to campus is to football games and a lifelong friend who attended the joint. In truth he does not seem to have been injured by the experience. They run in direct opposition to the views presented when a "Tech man" does or says something of note, but with which hardly anyone could disagree. Butker's, for instance. That is the epitome of Technitude apparently, a fellow who represents the highest traditions of the institute. Ah, but a countervailing view? Rub him out, never liked him much nohow. I know little about Curry but to my knowledge he has always represented what Technophobes always said they wanted and apparently believe they represent. He is bright, articulate, married -- once -- for 50 years above his station to a woman whom I believe has her ph.d., has been successful in his own life save for an unfortunate excursion into Alabama but even there I hand him credit for going into the lion's den. And however modestly he may have dissembled in his football recollections, and however short, pudgy, fat, lead-footed or dull he may have been, make no mistake: that man could play some football, years in the NFL, all-pro status, and center for the toughest football coach in America and several championship teams. That becomes of no moment to some, where there is no windage for disagreement. He is agin' you on this issue and therefore a nonTechperson. A lot of us thought a university education was broadening, and encouraged dissent. If not I wasted a lot of late night dorm beer. (And am I wrong in my recollection that said Curry was, if not instrumental, active in getting a fellow named Johnson hired on at the Institute? Whatever happened to him?)

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of folks, like Bill Curry, feel a necessity to speak out on the divisive nature of politics in our country. I would prefer to hear people address it in a way that points to unity in the things that already exist and the possibilities of growing on those things. I think so many dwell on the negative and fail to acknowledge the greatness that already exist and how to expand on that. Football is a terrific example, especially in growing the love for the game, the school and the resources to further enhance that love.

Go Jackets!

I think a lot of folks, like Bill Curry, feel a necessity to speak out on the divisive nature of politics in our country. I would prefer to hear people address it in a way that points to unity in the things that already exist and the possibilities of growing on those things. I think so many dwell on the negative and fail to acknowledge the greatness that already exist and how to expand on that. Football is a terrific example, especially in growing the love for the game, the school and the resources to further enhance that love.

Go Jackets!
I think Curry pretty much did what you say in his speech.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Are you more troubled by Curry "going political" in his speech or that by doing so, he said something with which you disagreed?

It would be refreshing for a partisan on either side of the aisle to say, "I 100% support him in what he said, but I really don't approve of him saying it (here, in public, during a concert, in an acceptance speech, etc).

Although, for the record, while I say the even handed treatment would be refreshing, I am not a fan of the "Just shut up and sing" mindset.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep for the most part no one cares what your political views are and they do not come out to an event to hear your political views; they can get that 24/7 from TV, the internet, etc.. To me you are going to lose half your audience either way. So from a marketing stand point it is a dumb move. I think shutup and sing was probably derived from people growing weary of singers using their platform to express their politics. Almost all of them are preaching doom and gloom. I personally do not agree with them and I can vote with my money which I do. But what I think is no more or less important than what they think, so I don't waste my time and others time talking about it. It just leads to a negative outcome. I think a lot of potential donors in the audience listening to Bill enjoyed 90% of his speech but the other 10% might of just been enough to make them keep their money in their pocket rather than donating it. It just the way things are. Enough said and probably too much said.

Go Jackets!