Alabama St. game 12/17/22

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Jackets vs Hornets!

GT comes into the game at 6-4, having just had finals week and a little banged up, with at least three guys in “protocol” over the last week (Coleman, Smith, and Franklin).

Alabama St comes in at an RPI of 305 (!) and a record of 1-8. They have played a pretty tough schedule, but have only won the one game. Their two best players are both guards, Range (13.6 ppl) and Madlock (12.2).

Should be a win but you never know in college basketball. We typically play poor around finals week.

Go Jackets!

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Jackets vs Hornets!

GT comes into the game at 6-4, having just had finals week and a little banged up, with at least three guys in “protocol” over the last week (Coleman, Smith, and Franklin).

Alabama St comes in at an RPI of 305 (!) and a record of 1-8. They have played a pretty tough schedule, but have only won the one game. Their two best players are both guards, Range (13.6 ppl) and Madlock (12.2).

Should be a win but you never know in college basketball. We typically play poor around finals week.

Go Jackets!
We are favored by 17.5. Only common opponent is N Alabama (who we beat by 19, and who beat Alabama State by 8 last week). But as you said, playing after Finals Week is always tricky.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
It's going to be tempting to just out-athlete them to the rim all game but I hope we run some offensive sets. We won't be able to score at-will against Clemson this week. It'd be really nice to see Rodney take some more shots from the elbow today also.

Sucks that this game start time clashes with UVA/Houston.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I would’ve been going to the game but I’m studying for high school exams. Will be watching on tv. Wish I could go, I was at fan day but haven’t been to a game yet. Thankfully we have lots of home games during winter break.

Regardless, if we lose here today… we have SERIOUS problems. We just need to care of business, win, and have a solid record going into the ACC gauntlet.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah didn’t love seeing Smith get his foot stepped on and rolled again.

Hope he is ok - team looks like it should against lower competition.

Liked seeing us run some sets. Clearing out the baseline for a flashing Howard dunk was sweet.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The "this crew couldn't hit the broad side of a barn" crowd has to be quiet after this one. These guys can shoot, they just need to generate clean looks and shoot in rhythm. Doing that against Clemson is obviously significantly harder than Alabama State.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The "this crew couldn't hit the broad side of a barn" crowd has to be quiet after this one. These guys can shoot, they just need to generate clean looks and shoot in rhythm. Doing that against Clemson is obviously significantly harder than Alabama State.
Ergo the team can't shoot very well. The schedule only has 1 Alabama State and 1 Clayton State. Besides them our shooting stinks.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Good win today against an over matched team. Hope it got some of the guys out of their shooting slump. Maxwell looked good today. J Moore is a player.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Only caught a bit of the game on the radio, turned it on right before the under 8 timeout and I hear Andy say Tech leads by 40. Sounded like a solid get right game before we go into conference play.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
The team played the right way, as Pastner would say. Rodney is playing well and I hope he keeps playing well and gets plenty of minutes even when Franklin gets back from injury. Rodney has made something like 13 out of his last 14 shots over 4 games. That number includes several makes from distance from the elbow (distance is relative).

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I just watched Pastner’s post game press conference. At the 5 minute mark of the video he gives what I think is a great pitch for GT and getting a degree from GT. In the context of practicing during finals week, he talks about how rigorous the academics are at GT, but how it is worth it because getting a degree from GT opens doors for the rest of your life. We as fans on these message boards spend a lot of text talking about recruiting challenges at GT. Pastner’s remarks in this press conference are how you sell one of the great positives about coming to GT. Great job coach!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I just watched Pastner’s post game press conference. At the 5 minute mark of the video he gives what I think is a great pitch for GT and getting a degree from GT. In the context of practicing during finals week, he talks about how rigorous the academics are at GT, but how it is worth it because getting a degree from GT opens doors for the rest of your life. We as fans on these message boards spend a lot of text talking about recruiting challenges at GT. Pastner’s remarks in this press conference are how you sell one of the great positives about coming to GT. Great job coach!
I hear you and don't mean to minimize your point.....but...

The best players are looking at the NBA and if you get there, you are essentially set for life financially and doors are open to you anyway. Pastner's pitch is great for the second tire guys who may aspire to the league (I mean, they all aspire to the league) but realize they may not make it and need a backup plans.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of professional basketball, there was a James Banks sighting at the game yesterday. He was such a good player for us. I would imagine he played a huge role in turning Moses Wright into the ACC POTY Moses Wright we had the pleasure of watching, too.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I hear you and don't mean to minimize your point.....but...

The best players are looking at the NBA and if you get there, you are essentially set for life financially and doors are open to you anyway. Pastner's pitch is great for the second tire guys who may aspire to the league (I mean, they all aspire to the league) but realize they may not make it and need a backup plans.
I agree that most of the top tier players couldn’t care less about getting a college degree, and therefore, the GT high academic degree, valuable life advantage, sales pitch isn’t going to sway them, and might even be a turn off for them. However, I think there is a demographic of very capable basketball players, especially within a well coached team ethos, that can be attracted to the the high academic rigor, blue collar argument when it’s presented well. It’s basically the unofficial sales pitch for GT recruiting. We hear the concept given lip service by fans, alumni, and school officials all the time. I just pointed it out in Pastner’s press conference because I think that is about as good of a job as I have ever heard of articulating the idea by one of our coaches in any sport, or by an AD or other school official for that matter.