Alabama St. game 12/17/22

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree that most of the top tier players couldn’t care less about getting a college degree, and therefore, the GT high academic degree, valuable life advantage, sales pitch isn’t going to sway them, and might even be a turn off for them. However, I think there is a demographic of very capable basketball players, especially within a well coached team ethos, that can be attracted to the the high academic rigor, blue collar argument when it’s presented well. It’s basically the unofficial sales pitch for GT recruiting. We hear the concept given lip service by fans, alumni, and school officials all the time. I just pointed it out in Pastner’s press conference because I think that is about as good of a job as I have ever heard of articulating the idea by one of our coaches in any sport, or by an AD or other school official for that matter.
If we are indeed executing the "get old stay old" strategy then our sweet spot should be around the top 100 or so - not the top 25 who are totally focused on the NBA. Top 100 kid can well develop into an NBA player but also has to have a secondary plan for post college without BB. GT should be able to recruit this level with a good development program and a great degree IF you want to do the work. That to me is the issue - do you really want to do the academic work?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is where I am at.
If we are indeed executing the "get old stay old" strategy then our sweet spot should be around the top 100 or so - not the top 25 who are totally focused on the NBA. Top 100 kid can well develop into an NBA player but also has to have a secondary plan for post college without BB. GT should be able to recruit this level with a good development program and a great degree IF you want to do the work. That to me is the issue - do you really want to do the academic work?

It is kind of the Duke v UNC Approach.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Agree but would expand it out to top 150 recruits. The issue is you need at least one every year with 2 being the preferred number as some will transfer out or simply not develop as well as hoped for. CJP's issue is way to many zero years that leave a roster with major holes like the center position this year as well as the PG position to a lesser degree.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I didn't run through the comments and was unable to watch the game due to the Nor'easter and power being out, why did Deebo only see 15 minutes? Hopefully didn't get nicked up.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't run through the comments and was unable to watch the game due to the Nor'easter and power being out, why did Deebo only see 15 minutes? Hopefully didn't get nicked up.
I think Pastner said he has a groin issue or something. He was "in protocol" all week and questionable for the game. Seems like he was testing it out and on a minutes limitation. He looked fine when he was in, though.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Pastner said he has a groin issue or something. He was "in protocol" all week and questionable for the game. Seems like he was testing it out and on a minutes limitation. He looked fine when he was in, though.
Correction--Coleman has an Achilles injury and Franklin is the one with a groin issue. I sure hope they are both full strength for Clemson!