Al Groh Color Analyst

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
I watched the game last night on ESPN3 (was at the game on Saturday), and have to agree with the posters who thought Groh did a great job. He knows way more about coaching than 99% of the color guys on TV.

I also appreciated his memory of Grant Field under Dodd as a "cathedral of college football" that he was awed by when he played here, and the way he didn't pull any punches about the defensive coaching mistakes both teams were making. Pretty rare for an analyst to specifically criticize a coach by identifying their failures on air in such strong language. (I would have been curious to hear the Mercer DC's responses to what Groh was saying, if such a thing were possible.)

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
He did a nice job... Didn't hear any personal "snippy" type comments... He was professional and competent, and was quite complimentary of our traditions and historical place of CFB history... Referred to his first time playing at Grant Field, one of the "cathedrals" of CFB... If there is residual bitterness, he hid it well.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I would much rather hear a former coach as a color commentator than a former player. I was surprised at how well he did though. I hope We hear more of him.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
QFT.

I thought he was pretty good on the analytical side and did a good job of keeping his analysis fairly basic; that is, he showed that he could be deep in his understanding and talk about quarters coverage but didn't obfuscate it too much with technical jargon/detail to confuse the casual listener.

It's probably a holdover from the old wishbone days, but people still feel like the key to the offense is to "establish the dive". For most analysts and fans that means, "run the dive 15 times in a row until everyone bites on it, then run the triple option and fool them." The reality is that we have always succeeded on the perimeter (or the "peh-rim-eh-tuh" as he pronounced it, enunciating every syllable); all our big plays come on pitches to the outside, whether to an A-Back or B-Back. It's nice to see Groh recognize that and mention it.
But to be successful on the perimeter, you have to keep the mlb honest, making him stay home and not get a head start to the edge. The only way you do that is with success up the gut.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
But to be successful on the perimeter, you have to keep the mlb honest, making him stay home and not get a head start to the edge. The only way you do that is with success up the gut.

You are absolutely right. If the MLB is flying out toward the perimeter the C has no chance to get to him and the playside T cannot get him either if the MLB is deep and fast or if the T gets an effective rub at the line. Our BB position needs about 1200 yards + this season to keep the MLB honest and I believe CPJ is counting heavily on Mills in that role. We could pick off the MLB with our playside AB or WR but that probably disrupts our entire blocking scheme and it is more productive to have BB success to control the MLB. I like our chances with Burden blocking the MLB.

slugboy

Staff member
I think he did a fine and professional job.

I don't think saying something like "watch the A-back motion" gives away any of our plays--at least, not to another team. It just tells first time viewers how to watch an unfamiliar offense and not get lost. (probably good advice for the cameramen too).

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
Seriously, he was more interesting and informative than most.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I enjoyed his commentary also. Perhaps it was a matter of him exceeding my expectations. On the flat route signaling a pass play, I think he was over simplifying for the audience since he had pretty well figured out Tech's game plan. All one has to do is look at the BC tapes to realize that the flat route did NOT always signal a pass play.

Loved his defensive analysis and it demonstrated to me that with any defense, unless you have exceptional talent, you kind of pick your poison as to what you are willing to let the offense get away with.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think he did a fine and professional job.

I don't think saying something like "watch the A-back motion" gives away any of our plays--at least, not to another team. It just tells first time viewers how to watch an unfamiliar offense and not get lost. (probably good advice for the cameramen too).

Nothing Al Groh pointed out would be revelatory to any competent DC, so he didn't give away any secrets or anything. It was a much more interesting perspective than the usual "we have to explain the offense as if no viewers have ever watched anything close to it" commentary we get in a solid 75% of our games. That might actually be my least favorite aspect of watching our games on TV...they always repeat the same exact basic points that we have heard over and over and over again.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck

I think stylee once remarked that it's not "establish the dive" per se but "establish the threat of the dive".

My point was that when commentators say, "establish the dive" they really mean ram the B-Back up the middle repeatedly. We don't need to do that. You're absolutely right - we need success up the gut, but success doesn't always mean 18 dives for 143 yards.

I think we have a lot of potential for establishing "the threat of the dive" with both pounding and homerun ability.