Al Groh Color Analyst

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
What did you think of Al Groh's commentary on the ACCN Mercer game last week? It was interesting hearing his insider take on the Jackets O and how Mercer should be responding to it.

I also like some of the keys he shared such as a A Back flat motion means toss sweep or pass 80% of the time while a deep motion means triple option.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Seems like He's still Salty about what happened. Also sounded like a complete buffoon when he said that the key to stopping the option is watching which way the AB goes.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
What did you think of Al Groh's commentary on the ACCN Mercer game last week? It was interesting hearing his insider take on the Jackets O and how Mercer should be responding to it.

I also like some of the keys he shared such as a A Back flat motion means toss sweep or pass 80% of the time while a deep motion means triple option.
Al groh is a black and white analyst, not color. Im talking sylvania, zenith.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

I'm glad somebody brought this up. I thought it was very interesting as well. He was a little dry in his personality, but he had a few good one liners ... (when Matthew Jordan came in for JR on the goal line) "It's good work if you can get it. Another guy does all the work to get the team down the field and you come in and get all the glory and lead the team in scoring." (STTE)

I liked how he "speaks football". He identified quarters coverage and said that's kind of popular in CFB now and that's why you see the short stop route on the sideline open so much. He identified that we're playing quarters to the field and halves to the boundary (Cover 6). He said that many would say that our offense is predicated on the BB dive but that we're actually a team that succeeds mostly on the perimeter and have a complex system of perimeter blocking to help us succeed in doing that. He said that Mercer should be trying to run to the perimeter but that Roof's scouting report has been correct in putting numbers in the middle. He continually harped on "force" defenders, especially for Mercer, and how important it was to have a scheme where you aren't outflanked with numbers. I found him to be very insightful.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
He said that many would say that our offense is predicated on the BB dive but that we're actually a team that succeeds mostly on the perimeter and have a complex system of perimeter blocking to help us succeed in doing that.

QFT.

I thought he was pretty good on the analytical side and did a good job of keeping his analysis fairly basic; that is, he showed that he could be deep in his understanding and talk about quarters coverage but didn't obfuscate it too much with technical jargon/detail to confuse the casual listener.

It's probably a holdover from the old wishbone days, but people still feel like the key to the offense is to "establish the dive". For most analysts and fans that means, "run the dive 15 times in a row until everyone bites on it, then run the triple option and fool them." The reality is that we have always succeeded on the perimeter (or the "peh-rim-eh-tuh" as he pronounced it, enunciating every syllable); all our big plays come on pitches to the outside, whether to an A-Back or B-Back. It's nice to see Groh recognize that and mention it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I thought he was fantastic, tbh. More x's and o's than you normally get from a color guy, which is right up my alley.

If I'm being honest and unbiased, he actually wasn't terrible. I think I just couldn't get past the thinly veiled shots I perceived he was taking.

Admittedly though, that could be me being 'that guy' on this. I guess if you, being a UVA fan (for now), can get over it; I should as well.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
There was a funny moment when the Mercer kicker put a KO out of bounds at the one. The play by play guy mentioned that it was a 10 yard mistake (start at 35 instead of 25 if it made it to end zone) and specifically called out that it isn't as big a mistake since they moved up touchbacks. Al Groh, apparently deaf to his partner's comments, kept going on about how that was a 15 yard mistake and you can't do that.
Al Groh: so old school he still takes his touchbacks at the 20, where God intended them to be.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I though he looked a lot older than I had expected. I do think he did a pretty good job on the broadcast. He could have done a lot more detailed analysis of the offense than he did and I am glad he didn't. He should have a really good idea of how PJ thinks for play calling. I often wonder if other coaches contact ex-coaches and pay them for consulting on how to defense certain teams that they are familiar with.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Nice job. His technical knowledge of football showed and it was refreshing to hear someone who actually knew what he was talking about.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
I guess I'll be the first to come out and say this outright: I absolutely loved it. I thought it was phenomenal, better than anybody else in the past, and I want him to be color for every game GT plays from now on. That's how well I thought he did

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

He was better than expected. Actually, I preferred this duo to the BC announcers. (Not saying much)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I actually thought it was a nice change of pace from the usual color guys we get like the one from the BC game.
Back in the old days of the robbery I think they sold replacment tv bulbs that drove the main tube. I just sold the candy and swept the place. I believe al grogh was on the morning shift in the bulb testing department. He was quite the thinker.
Please lock and delete the thread
I am hearing
MTSU SCORES AGAIN!

The dc has to be that bad to get fired.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I enjoyed Groh's commentary. Definitely a content over style guy. I thought he gave good insights into strategy and what was happening on the field - much more interesting than two I heard on major networks whose total contributions consisted of babbling endlessly over what a great game one team's freshman QB was having. And did you notice that he showed up wearing a gold jacket?