AJC Super 11 ... Georgia, Clemson, Auburn, Tennessee.....Ga. Tech?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We don't have a commit from anyone on the Super 11 this year, but look how many of the Super 11 had us in their final schools. It's a marked difference than the past when we were pretty much shut out of even being in running for them.

Change isn't happening overnight...besides, a couple of those guys could still end up here before it's all said and done in December.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
We don't have a commit from anyone on the Super 11 this year, but look how many of the Super 11 had us in their final schools. It's a marked difference than the past when we were pretty much shut out of even being in running for them.

Change isn't happening overnight...besides, a couple of those guys could still end up here before it's all said and done in December.

Wouldn’t mind seeing a breakdown of this. Don’t remember having a realistic show with any of this year’s S11. Certainly didn’t notice a large difference from previous years. Not that this necessarily matters. We can still field a good recruiting class without getting one.

I’m also curious which ones you’re seeing as potential flips.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck

Clemson, Alabama, even Auburn... I get it, but Tennessee? That surprised me that they are that successful..

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
Wouldn’t mind seeing a breakdown of this. Don’t remember having a realistic show with any of this year’s S11. Certainly didn’t notice a large difference from previous years. Not that this necessarily matters. We can still field a good recruiting class without getting one.

I’m also curious which ones you’re seeing as potential flips.

I think there were longer threads and more discussion about a few of the 11, particularly Capers, but not sure if we really had a better shot at them than in the past, or if this was just a result of more transparency and hype. Regardless, our two highest ranked commits are super 11 type guys, they’re just from another state. I don’t see not having gained a commitment from a 2020 Super 11 guy as an indictment of the staff, or as any conspiracy against Tech. 11 isn’t very many.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Not too much mutual interest in the last few cycles.

2015: Robertson we were seriously in play for. Most think we finished 2nd.

2013: Adam Choice was flirting for a bit IIRC.

2012: We signed Devine. Lawson was thought to be a real option as well. Wanted to do engineering IIRC but settled for Auburn.

2011: Finished 2nd for Tomlinson. Believe we were the leader for Drake at one point. Were in on Geno Smith early but not sure we finished as high. I’m not sure how Tuitt didn’t make the S11 as a 5* DT but everybody knows how close we were to landing him. Damn. What a Tomlinson/Tuitt duo could have done for this program. That 2014 squad would have been title contenders.

I guess Capers was talked about from the 2019 S11 like was said above. I just don’t see how that warrants any designation of change from previous years. Nor any mention of possible flips based on information at hand to this point.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think there were longer threads and more discussion about a few of the 11, particularly Capers, but not sure if we really had a better shot at them than in the past, or if this was just a result of more transparency and hype. Regardless, our two highest ranked commits are super 11 type guys, they’re just from another state. I don’t see not having gained a commitment from a 2020 Super 11 guy as an indictment of the staff, or as any conspiracy against Tech. 11 isn’t very many.

Historically Tech hasn’t had much success with this group. Just landing one is a coup. I think Collins can but I won’t expect him to every year. Great talent can be brought in without having a single Super 11 in the mix.

Deleted member 2897

With how absurdly easy Tennessee's out of conference schedule is this year they could and should win 8-9 games.

We've won more games than Tennessee has over the last decade. Which is embarrassingly awful considering their recruiting and how much they spend.

And then, despite all their spending and chest pounding about how good they are, they schedule BYU, Georgia State, Chattanooga, and UAB. That's a Duke schedule. Even so, I'm not sure they can actually go 4-4 in their regular football schedule. Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt & Missouri. I think they can beat Vandy, Missouri and 1 other. With all that Tennessee spends, if they can only beat 3 actual teams in a season of football, that's hilariously terrible.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Having an 18-year-old put you in his list of "final schools" is like being conference runner-up. So what? Besides, it is always good to have Georgia Tech there to prove your interest in education. It is hard to get excited over it.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
We've won more games than Tennessee has over the last decade. Which is embarrassingly awful considering their recruiting and how much they spend.

And then, despite all their spending and chest pounding about how good they are, they schedule BYU, Georgia State, Chattanooga, and UAB. That's a Duke schedule. Even so, I'm not sure they can actually go 4-4 in their regular football schedule. Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt & Missouri. I think they can beat Vandy, Missouri and 1 other. With all that Tennessee spends, if they can only beat 3 actual teams in a season of football, that's hilariously terrible.
The word going around up here is their 2020 recruiting class will be in the Top 5.

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan
Clemson, Alabama, even Auburn... I get it, but Tennessee? That surprised me that they are that successful..

Despite their long stretch of mediocrity, Tennessee's recruiting has never dropped that much. Looking at Rivals recruiting rankings, their lowest ranked class since 2009 was #21, with several top 10 classes. You could make the case that no team in the country has under-performed their talent level to the extent they have since Fulmer was ousted.