AJC: Interview with Will Jackson & David Sims

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I also like JT running from the pistol more. He attacks better. I hope we continue to run that look, though I prefer the spread to the diamond

That being said, Vad attacked great from the pistol as a RS Frosh too.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I also like JT running from the pistol more. He attacks better. I hope we continue to run that look, though I prefer the spread to the diamond

That being said, Vad attacked great from the pistol as a RS Frosh too.

I hope he does cause that's what he will be running most of the time at James Madison.

GTie79

Georgia Tech Fan
Welcome aboard.

I just can't buy into the thought that CPJ, et al would not be playing the players that they thought gave GT the best opportunity to win the game each week. I doubt they's play VL just becasue they thought he might transfer. At the end of the day, they are trying to make sure they are able to keep their jobs.

I agree with this statement - Even though I said it, I just can't believe they would not play the best player - it just doesn't seem rational. I think that is what is so perplexing about what happened this year. Many times it just didn't seem to make sense - I guess that implies there is a lot more than we really know about what was going on. Everyone says JT didn't play because of "ball control" issues, but then we had no problem putting him in the bowl game when we were backed up on our on 5 yd line. Or then we would play JT - when we all thought we needed a good dose of successful TO, and he was in the diamond formation.

In the end though, I really think that Vad didn't think he would be starting next year. Don't remember this happening in football, but it seems pretty common in basketball where some player leaves a program because they just recruited a stud as his replacement for the next year.

Thanks for the welcome.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Hey guys, my first post ever, so take it easy on me. But in retrospect it looks as if the coaching staff was playing Vad more because they thought he was thinking about transferring - like they were trying to say they believed in him. But that approach just seems to conflict with any thoughts I would have about our coaches decision making. I really thought we would see more of JT after the Clemson game or especially after the Syracuse game. But it seemed that we saw less of him.

my thoughts exactly. none of his teammates seem surprised so it was not a spur of the moment issue. i think the staff knew he was waffling about leaving but cpj saw that a fully committed vad would be a huge plus. instead vad "wanted to do different things". the further along things went the more he was out the door.

'

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with this statement - Even though I said it, I just can't believe they would not play the best player - it just doesn't seem rational. I think that is what is so perplexing about what happened this year. Many times it just didn't seem to make sense - I guess that implies there is a lot more than we really know about what was going on. Everyone says JT didn't play because of "ball control" issues, but then we had no problem putting him in the bowl game when we were backed up on our on 5 yd line. Or then we would play JT - when we all thought we needed a good dose of successful TO, and he was in the diamond formation.

In the end though, I really think that Vad didn't think he would be starting next year. Don't remember this happening in football, but it seems pretty common in basketball where some player leaves a program because they just recruited a stud as his replacement for the next year.

Thanks for the welcome.
Welcome 79! Why didn't we see more of JT and less of VL given the circumstances? I guess I fall into the category of responders who feel like CPJ was just trying to win. I have felt for a while that ultimately JT was going to win out over Vad. In fact, on a different board in the preseason, I went to so far as to say it had about a 40% chance of happening during the 2013 season. However, watching him play in 2013 made me nervous (as well as excited I guess). I agree he looks better at reads and footwork and combines a pretty potent punch with the speed and elusiveness, but, it is pretty hard to overcome turnovers. He played the game at the very edge of the envelope in terms of ball security. Ultimately, if I were coach, Vad would have gotten most of the snaps too. I am looking forward to next year. I'll bet JT settles down and he will have a productive season.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Welcome 79! Why didn't we see more of JT and less of VL given the circumstances? I guess I fall into the category of responders who feel like CPJ was just trying to win. I have felt for a while that ultimately JT was going to win out over Vad. In fact, on a different board in the preseason, I went to so far as to say it had about a 40% chance of happening during the 2013 season. However, watching him play in 2013 made me nervous (as well as excited I guess). I agree he looks better at reads and footwork and combines a pretty potent punch with the speed and elusiveness, but, it is pretty hard to overcome turnovers. He played the game at the very edge of the envelope in terms of ball security. Ultimately, if I were coach, Vad would have gotten most of the snaps too. I am looking forward to next year. I'll bet JT settles down and he will have a productive season.
I remember when you made that prediction Boomer. If I remember correctly AllGT made close to the same prediction saying that JT could very well be the starter at some point during the season. There is a lot to be excited about with JT I do believe. He really gives us a demension at QB that we havent seen yet with his quickness. With that being said, do you see him as the type of player that DC's would have to scheme for because of his explosiveness?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I found it interesting what was said about Tevin helping JT. Nothing was said about Tevin helping Vad. Kinda makes me wonder if Tevin tried and Vad didnt want to hear it or if Tevin didnt offer because he was afraid Vad would pass him. To me it was pretty evident that Vad could run the O because he looked really good at times in 2012. I just really hope that were not having this same discussion this time next season.
I don't think we will and here is why: JT is made for this offense and he knows that this system is really his only shot to play QB at the BCS level. We may be crying in our soup next December, but it won't be because JT wants to play a different style offense and transfers. I think he will excel, but if he doesn't, the story line will be a little different.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I remember when you made that prediction Boomer. If I remember correctly AllGT made close to the same prediction saying that JT could very well be the starter at some point during the season. There is a lot to be excited about with JT I do believe. He really gives us a demension at QB that we havent seen yet with his quickness. With that being said, do you see him as the type of player that DC's would have to scheme for because of his explosiveness?
Absolutely yes. If he had played full time in 2013, I think we would have tripled the explosion plays from the QB position. However, the explosion plays going the other direction would probably have increased too. There in lies the dilemma.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
like the man says, you not happy with your playing time? Do something about it. Be better in practice.
When I was growing up I was always told "perfect practice makes perfect". The coaches that I played for always noticed the "little" things in practice whether it was good or bad.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Absolutely yes. If he had played full time in 2013, I think we would have tripled the explosion plays from the QB position. However, the explosion plays going the other direction would probably have increased too. There in lies the dilemma.
Very true about the explosion plays on both sides of the ball. In the little bit of time JT was in the game his quickness and change of direction totally wowed me. I dont know that I have ever seen a QB that was just that pure fast and could change direction without seeming to slow down any.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we will and here is why: JT is made for this offense and he knows that this system is really his only shot to play QB at the BCS level. We may be crying in our soup next December, but it won't be because JT wants to play a different style offense and transfers. I think he will excel, but if he doesn't, the story line will be a little different.

Agreed, Boomer, but I just can't see Justin breaking tackles, and if he gets hit hard, and in this offense, the QB and BB get hit hard, I cannot see him lasting through the season, but again, I want to be wrong. I want GT to have great success with JT running the 3-O.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
JT did one thing when he was in the game.
Make me nervous.
A. That he was gonna get killed
B. He was a turnover waiting to happen.

I hate making assumptions but yeah it does appear that Vad wasnt fully committed. If he was maybe we'd seen different results on the field.

Onward to JT but I'm very curious about Mathew Jordan and see if he can make a push.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
JT did one thing when he was in the game.
Make me nervous.
A. That he was gonna get killed
B. He was a turnover waiting to happen.

I hate making assumptions but yeah it does appear that Vad wasnt fully committed. If he was maybe we'd seen different results on the field.

Onward to JT but I'm very curious about Mathew Jordan and see if he can make a push.

JT is all kinds of exciting, now. Some of it is bad exciting, but he is exciting. If he learns to value the football, I think he can have a terrific year next season.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I kinda feel like CPJ felt honor bound to give Vad the reins this year no matter what based on his recruiting promises

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
From a defensive position most people try to force the QB to keep the ball for a couple reasons.

1. The A-Backs are usually burners, and not someone you want your defense trying to chase down in space.

2. QBs take a few hits and start giving or pitching into the teeth of defense when they should keep, because they do not want to get hit.

3. If you miss a tackle a QB is less likely to get to the second level and lowering his shoulder.

Now, the person that usually has the QB is typically a DE or a LBer, and it is usually 1 on 1. JT is a legit 4.2 guy, if I am a DC, the first thing I am going to take away is the QB keep. Why? How many defenders can catch a shifty 4.2 guy 1 on 1? Not many. That being said I expect for the B backs to have a big year in 2014. I think the defense will try to contain the speed guys first, which will be different than we have been played thus far.

GTie79

Georgia Tech Fan
There may be something in that practice statement. Probably Vad looked a lot better in practice. Hopefully JT gets the ball control thing down. Seems like a good option quarterback has the guts of a burglar. There are always those "oooh" and "ahhh" moments when you say I can't believe he pitched it or how was he able to pitch that. But I seem to remember JT making many unwise pitches - like after he was hit or in the clutches of a tackler. I guess its a fine line and hopefully he gets there.