AJC: Dennis Andrews no longer onthe Team

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's not just the loss of DA that has me worried, it's the loss of 6 senior Abacks, 2 sr Bbacks and 2 sr wr's. That's a ton of experience lost and the loss of DA just compounds it. If you're still thinking we can just plug in a bunch of noobs and "coach 'em up" in time to replace 11 lost veterans, just look at the complexity and perfection of execution in the following series. Oh, and we lost Shaq Mason, too, but I guess we'll just plug in somebody there, too.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's not just the loss of DA that has me worried, it's the loss of 6 senior Abacks and 2 sr wr's. That's a ton of experience lost and the loss of DA just compounds it. If you're still thinking we can just plug in a bunch of noobs and "coach 'em up" in time to replace 9 lost veterans, just look at the complexity and perfection of execution in the following series. Oh, and we lost Shaq Mason, too, but I guess we'll just plug in somebody there, too.

Don't forget we lost Corey Dennis too. He wasn't a receiving guy, but he was a smart receiver, who was a very good blocker, with 4 yrs in the program. This is my biggest concern too.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Have you not learned by now?????? You have uttered the name of a coach who shall for forever and day remain nameless!!!!!!! I hope you're not walking under ladders or by black cats or shattering mirrors in your spare time! :D
My god. Is there anything I can do to make this right, before Georgia fans move on either side of me?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
What I posted on the TOS:

Sorry, even though the logic is on point, I feel you are overselling the Aback transition. A piece of the puzzle you are missing is the reason why run the offense/formation we do. Our offense forces defense to play in only a few sets or the defense will admire the back of our unis all game long. With the minimal looks from alignment/assignment on a weekly basis the Aback will see, all the young guys will need is the will to actually get a body on someone.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Have you not learned by now?????? You have uttered the name of a coach who shall for forever and day remain nameless!!!!!!! I hope you're not walking under ladders or by black cats or shattering mirrors in your spare time! :D
Somehow I cannot get that scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail out of my head now.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Sorry, even though the logic is on point, I feel you are overselling the Aback transition. A piece of the puzzle you are missing is the reason why run the offense/formation we do. Our offense forces defense to play in only a few sets or the defense will admire the back of our unis all game long. With the minimal looks from alignment/assignment on a weekly basis the Aback will see, all the young guys will need is the will to actually get a body on someone.
It's not just A back transition, its new B backs and wide receivers too.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

With the minimal looks from alignment/assignment on a weekly basis the Aback will see, all the young guys will need is the will to actually get a body on someone.
Well, there is the trick. Cut blocking, at speed, on the edge -- out where the other team's best defensive athletes lurk -- is maybe the hardest of all blocks. We saw plenty of our guys blown up over the season because such a block was missed (by guys who were good at it after four years) and of course that wonderful Jamal Golden WWF body slam on the MSU back in the OB after he beat a block on the corner. These guys, I think, have to get good and quick or we have to hope for a lot more Houdini from Justin Thomas to turn upfield. Being absolutely selfish, Thomas is the last guy I want to see lit up. If opponents don't respect the edge, forget the middle, and that 340 ypg average. That being said, it ain't gonna happen. He said, hopefully.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
My god. Is there anything I can do to make this right, before Georgia fans move on either side of me?

Hmmmm maybe sacrifice a chicken?????

Hint................Major League...............;)

I was going to say a virgin BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I might get accused of being a misogynist and my wife and daughter might get a tad cross with me :D

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
It's not just the loss of DA that has me worried, it's the loss of 6 senior Abacks, 2 sr Bbacks and 2 sr wr's. That's a ton of experience lost and the loss of DA just compounds it. If you're still thinking we can just plug in a bunch of noobs and "coach 'em up" in time to replace 11 lost veterans, just look at the complexity and perfection of execution in the following series. Oh, and we lost Shaq Mason, too, but I guess we'll just plug in somebody there, too.

Its going to be hard to look that good this season. Hoping the D can pick up the slack.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It seems like every year when one person gets punished for this, there's usually a couple more that start appearing over the next few weeks. Just trying to give y'all some nightmares during the offseason... :bag:

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
"The further away from the ball your position is, the quicker you can play!" I think the first time I heard this was from O'Leary 20 years ago. A Backs and Wide Receivers are the farthest away in our offense. Closest to the ball is where we have the most experience. In CPJ's first year in 08 with a team that had never run the TO and had probably never played against it, we tied for the Division. We would have won it except for a ridiculous personal foul call on us on third and long at VT for hitting Tyrod Taylor as he was dancing down the sideline. That was in the 4th qtr and the game tied. VT went on to kick a FG and win by 3. Johnson seems to be very very good at getting people into the right positions and maximizing their abilities in his offense (Vad Lee would be the exception, and I think CPJ tried everything he could there). We'll probably have less blocking ability from the AB, but more explosiveness and speed.

It's all relative. Every team is going to lose players in this off season to grades, dismissals, arrests, injuries, transfers. Sorry to see Andrews go, but I can hardly wait to see some of the freshmen with the ball in their hands.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

To continue in a devil's advocate kind of role I see it both ways.

Your point above makes sense and we do have some examples of AB's who played early in their careers...particularly Roddy, Embry, and the converted kicker who had wheels and want-to in PJ's first year (#33, can't remember his name). Anthony Allen sat out a year so I don't count him as playing early.

Here are the devil's advocate points:

(1) Johnson has multiple ways to block every running play and being able to change things up confuses the hell out defenses. CPJ can simplify things but the offense is less effective when defenses know where the blocking is coming for each kind of run. We don't run a lot of different plays but we do block them lots of different ways.
(2) We have heard over the years from Johnson frequently regarding various AB's "He needs to learn better where to go so he can play faster". We have also heard AB's say of being more experienced that they can play faster because they know where to go. This implies "knowing where to go" is a critical factor and takes time to learn.
(3) While some ABs have played as tr-fr, the offense was brand new at that time. Since the offense has been here it seems to take guys awhile to get on the field at A back.
(4) On option plays defenses will often change dive/QB/pitch assignments to try and screw with our QB reads and blocking assignments. My understanding is ABs need to read these changes on the fly and adjust who they block.

In the final analysis I think we'll be ok. G-C-G is strong for us and we have a QB who can read the option well. If BB is good enough we'll be solid up the middle and defenses won't be able to fly to the perimeter. With defensive help slower from the interior it makes the AB's job blocking easier as perimeter defenders have to try and set an edge instead of doding blocks.

Plus we've got a lot of guys coming in to compete at AB. I'm sure having green AB's is not a new phenomenon for Johnson and he'll have his ways of dealing with that.

One other point not to be overlooked: Lamar Owens is more seasoned coaching the position than when Coach Monken left. CLO's earlier years we seemed to struggle with AB blocking but the last few we've had great AB play.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh HUSH your mouth!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Go sacrifice a goat, NOW!!!!!!!
Sacrificed to Toby Keith.

500px-Toby_Keith.png

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I reluctantly agree with every point here. The only thing I can offer as a counter is that we didn't look all that sharp running the O last year until the VT game and we didn't really hit stride until UNC (we lost, but we ran the O like clockwork). This is pretty standard for Coach's teams; like they used to say at Navy, "When the leaves turn, the O works." (This is why I wish we were playing ND a week or so later, btw.) But without the vets we had last year, especially Shaq, we can be pretty sure that things will look a bit sloppy early on.

That's why we really need to finally field a decent D next year. They don't have to be lights out, just decent. We'll really need that until the game experience kicks in, given all the O backfield injuries.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not sure that we are misfiring, but just to be sure: I make a distinction between motivate, and discipline. Discipline has to be consistent across the board, from a 3-deep to the starter. Motivation can be, well, weird. Based only on what is replayed occasionally, Johnson does not seem to me to be a really good motivational speaker and uses other means. The exception might be halftime at the Georgia game in '08 -- again, just what I read -- when trailing 28-12 and Georgia smirking, he lit into his team, screaming something to the effect of "You lied to me. You lied. You told me you wanted to beat Georgia. You don't want to beat Georgia because if you did you would." I would like to a tape of that one. So yes, motivation varies wildly from player to player. I don't believe discipline can. A coach can't give a scrub the death penalty and look the other way for a star with the same infraction. At least I don't think he can.
The word discipline means to teach. Some people simply equate it with punishment but that is rather dull minded. If I am disciplining someone I am using a method that best helps them to learn a lesson. The word disciple, the root word for discipline, means someone who learns.

I have seen evidence that CPJ uses different methods to reach different players and does so out of understanding who they are and what they need from him to learn the lessons they need to learn.