AJC: Dennis Andrews no longer onthe Team

SkyBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Declinometer, post: "Racist??? Where the hell did that come from?"

I guess you have never seen bias on a sports team, I have! I was a football referee for twenty years and saw it a few times. Do you remember the Tom Luginbill QB situation under Bill Lewis. It split the team along racial lines.

I didn't imply that we had that problem or any of the problems mentioned. Heck, the list is a lot longer than those few. I just stated that there are many things that can affect team chemistry and they all have to be dealt with. I am proud we have a coach that addresses issues quickly and appropriately. No Offense meant to anyone.
SkyBuzz

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I suspect that you may be being a bit more negative than necessary. We've got guys who can play and an experienced wr to run behind.

In 2008, Roddy carried the ball 81 times averaging 8.5 yds/carry. Lucas Cox, Greg Smith, Embry Peeples, and Marcus Wright combined for 57 carries, and some of Cox's came from BBack.

During 2009, Anthony Allen came in and got 64 carries in his first year in the system, while Roddy got 53 and Marcus and Embry got 33 & 31.

In other words, CPJ will get production from that position based on what he has. He's got a lot of talent available.
Boomer hit it, I think. It is blocking on the edge and knowing the blocking assignments on all those plays in the playbook. End? LB? Safety? The yards they get is the topping.

Declinometer

Banned
I am lost. I thought we were talking about things that could impact team morale. I could definitely see racism being more detrimental to the team than a couple of pot smoking infractions. Did I miss something? Did I misunderstand?
Why stop at racism...homophobia, islamaphobia, anti Semites, bi polar disorder, gangs, bullying.......just found it strange that racism was thrown in when I have never heard of that as a reason for poor team morale (unless you're Pete Marovich). Cooper was videoed saying something in a moment of anger. He was never accused of being a Racist.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That situation was a little different. With the DL, we had guys to fill in the blanks who at least knew "where to go" as CPJ likes to say. Also, you could say it was a small miracle we avoided injuries at that position.

It's not just knowing your job, it's knowing it so well you don't have to think about it. We've got a bunch of guys coming in with zero experience and only a few with barely any. Like I said earlier, they all better be a quick study.

It doesn't take much to unravel our well oiled machine. All it takes is one missed block, one guy going the wrong way, one guy taking the wrong guy, one guy out of sync, on guy just a hair late or a hair out of position, etc.... to blow up any given play.

In the scheme of the entire team in 2014, we lost basically an entire DL (JHD, Whitehead, Justin Akins, Darius Commissiong, Kevin Robbins) two of whom were slated to be the starters, and Commissiong would have been 2nd string DT. On top of that, we lost our co-starter at BB in Custis, a key two-deep WR in Anthony Autry, a starting QB in Vad Lee (though it can be argued that it was for the best for both parties). And if you look at Synjyn Days moving to BB full time, that's an AB we lost. Losing Dennis isn't even remotely close to all of that.

For all the angst about losing Andrews, people forget he really didn't even play that much last season. He was suspended to start the season, and was in CPJ's doghouse for a good portion of 2014. The guy ended up 11th in rushing for the team (13carries/113 yards). The whole "he knows where to go thing" is factor, but that's just reps and being in the system. The good news on that front is Clinton Lynch, Snoddy, and Ike Willis have been in the system, and Searcy will have had Spring camp, summer workouts, and Fall camp to get up to speed, and the incoming freshmen will have summer workouts and fall camp to learn...I'm pretty confident at least 2 of them will be up to the task. CPJ has had freshmen start at AB (Marcus Wright, Embry Peebles), and they did a fairly good job as t-FR. It will be the same this year.

To leave on a promising note, check out AD's run in the Spring game (0.41 mark):

Who was it that made a key block to spring AD? Our boy Ike Willis. I won't lie...Andrew looked explosive this spring. We'll miss some of those runs, but I think the freshmen ABs coming in our the most athletic and dynamic ABs that CPJ has recruited. What they lack in experience, they'll make up for in other ways. Experience will come the more they play, and a few of them will play A LOT.

Declinometer

Banned
Declinometer, post: "Racist??? Where the hell did that come from?"

I guess you have never seen bias on a sports team, I have! I was a football referee for twenty years and saw it a few times. Do you remember the Tom Luginbill QB situation under Bill Lewis. It split the team along racial lines.

I didn't imply that we had that problem or any of the problems mentioned. Heck, the list is a lot longer than those few. I just stated that there are many things that can affect team chemistry and they all have to be dealt with. I am proud we have a coach that addresses issues quickly and appropriately. No Offense meant to anyone.
SkyBuzz
In today's world EVERYONE is offended by something, many times in an attempt to be viewed as a victim.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Focusing back on the AB depth impact of this issue: This hurts. I think we have a lot of guys who can run with the rock just fine, but experience at AB is just so important. Knowing who to block is absolutely critical to the execution of our offense, so is knowing how to block effectively from that position. Typically those things take time. There are a lot of youngsters I like on our roster. I just hope they can meet this more aggressive time table.

Not that it takes away from your overall point, but I've always found it interesting that the type of block the A-back throws is up to the discretion of the A back a majority of the time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In the scheme of the entire team in 2014, we lost basically an entire DL (JHD, Whitehead, Justin Akins, Darius Commissiong, Kevin Robbins) two of whom were slated to be the starters, and Commissiong would have been 2nd string DT. On top of that, we lost our co-starter at BB in Custis, a key two-deep WR in Anthony Autry, a starting QB in Vad Lee (though it can be argued that it was for the best for both parties). And if you look at Synjyn Days moving to BB full time, that's an AB we lost. Losing Dennis isn't even remotely close to all of that.

For all the angst about losing Andrews, people forget he really didn't even play that much last season. He was suspended to start the season, and was in CPJ's doghouse for a good portion of 2014. The guy ended up 11th in rushing for the team (13carries/113 yards). The whole "he knows where to go thing" is factor, but that's just reps and being in the system. The good news on that front is Clinton Lynch, Snoddy, and Ike Willis have been in the system, and Searcy will have had Spring camp, summer workouts, and Fall camp to get up to speed, and the incoming freshmen will have summer workouts and fall camp to learn...I'm pretty confident at least 2 of them will be up to the task. CPJ has had freshmen start at AB (Marcus Wright, Embry Peebles), and they did a fairly good job as t-FR. It will be the same this year.

To leave on a promising note, check out AD's run in the Spring game (0.41 mark):

Who was it that made a key block to spring AD? Our boy Ike Willis. I won't lie...Andrew looked explosive this spring. We'll miss some of those runs, but I think the freshmen ABs coming in our the most athletic and dynamic ABs that CPJ has recruited. What they lack in experience, they'll make up for in other ways. Experience will come the more they play, and a few of them will play A LOT.

Very well said (except Dennis Andrews DA not Andrew Dennis AD)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Why stop at racism...homophobia, islamaphobia, anti Semites, bi polar disorder, gangs, bullying.......just found it strange that racism was thrown in when I have never heard of that as a reason for poor team morale (unless you're Pete Marovich).
Didn't think it was an all-inclusive list he was offering.

The 1994 season (and the last vestiges of momentum gained by the 1990 championship) was lost because of a division on the team along black/white lines. I'm not saying this was racism, because that word has a definite meaning, and is often misused today. But the chemistry of the team was dessimated by BL bringing in Tommy Luginbill and then replacing encumbant starter, Donnie Davis, for the 1994 season. O'Leary took over after Lewis was fired and Luginbill transferred to ECU. He and Donnie worked to rebuild the team chemistry in '95.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So many things I wanted to respond to in your post but I will choose two.

I don't know I could be that tough, either, a reason I shouldn't be a coach. The same rules and consequences have to apply to everybody all the time. (One fact that I find heartening is that CPJ has indicated directly and indirectly that different players need different kinds of motivation. I honestly believe, as Dr. Jacket stated earlier, that he tries to understand the individual athlete and work with them to over come any problems. He is firm but I see him as also long suffering and fair.)
Not sure that we are misfiring, but just to be sure: I make a distinction between motivate, and discipline. Discipline has to be consistent across the board, from a 3-deep to the starter. Motivation can be, well, weird. Based only on what is replayed occasionally, Johnson does not seem to me to be a really good motivational speaker and uses other means. The exception might be halftime at the Georgia game in '08 -- again, just what I read -- when trailing 28-12 and Georgia smirking, he lit into his team, screaming something to the effect of "You lied to me. You lied. You told me you wanted to beat Georgia. You don't want to beat Georgia because if you did you would." I would like to a tape of that one. So yes, motivation varies wildly from player to player. I don't believe discipline can. A coach can't give a scrub the death penalty and look the other way for a star with the same infraction. At least I don't think he can.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

The 1994 season (and the last vestiges of momentum gained by the 1990 championship) was lost because of a division on the team along black/white lines. I'm not saying this was racism, because that word has a definite meaning, and is often misused today. But the chemistry of the team was dessimated by BL bringing in Tommy Luginbill and then replacing encumbant starter, Donnie Davis, for the 1994 season. O'Leary took over after Lewis was fired and Luginbill transferred to ECU. He and Donnie worked to rebuild the team chemistry in '95.
Maybe sometime when someone has a week to kill he could explain the hiring of Bill Lewis.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Because Dennis was obviously our best A back playing this spring and then wasnot listed on the post spring 2-deep I pretty much figured--in light of his suspension last fall--that strike three had happened.

I hate it for Dennis, his family, and our team. It's not really my place to evaluate team rules and I have no control over it anyway. So I'll just wish Dennis the best and I hope he gets his GT degree before playing elsewhere. Would be insane not to at this point.

So now let's look at how it affects our football team:

WHY THE LOSS COULD BE HUGE:
1. Lose experienced senior at position that is thin and lacks experience.
2. Lose best blocking and best all-around AB who figured to have a big year.
3. Loss of blocking is underscored by loss of Smelter & Waller at WR who were good blockers, suggesting our perimeter game may be less effective.
4. Yes attrition last year didn't affect us like we thought--and we were also miraculously injury-free at the affected positions. What if we have a rash of AB injuries?

WHY THE LOSS MAY NOT BE SO BAD:
1. Good news at BB (Marcus Allen emergence, Skov transfer, Quaide healing) means MLD and Marshall--two physically ready guys--can compete at AB
2. Good quality and numbers of Johnson's best RB class makes it more likely will we find an at least serviceable tr-fr at the position. We have seen how a stout short guy like Marshall (Godhigh, Roddy) can block their arses off at AB. We've seen a big back like MLD succeed w/ power blocking (Allen, Cox). And we've seen ultra quick guys who can get into a defenders body quick (many). Also Cottrell has lead blocked the veer for years and that experience may help.
3. WR Summers is a good blocker which helps loss of starters. Jeune and Messick are some big bodies who have played some in blocking roles. Plus some big tr-Fr come in at receiver. Perimeter blocking from WR could be better than expected after losing both starters.
4. RS-fr Lynch and Searcy have shown promise and may develop more rapidly with more reps.
5. Thank God for Ike. The ability for walk-ons to affect our offense positively at AB
6. Intangibles: Next man up mentality, Team closeness, JT leadership & knowledge of the offense.
7. Snoddy's emergence as a game breaker last year.

So it hurts but at the same time we have developments that suggest we can still have a strong perimeter game. I see the issues being more early in the season before the new guys get enough reps or if there are injury problems at the position.

Declinometer

Banned

Of course it wasn't an all inclusive list. I made that point. Since racism I am told is a one way street, I find its inclusion in the list to be quite divisive.
I find it quite odd that it was on the list in this day in time when it seems to be used ad nauseam and in this case is sort of a stretch.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
good analysis - good points in both directions.
Because Dennis was obviously our best A back playing this spring and then wasnot listed on the post spring 2-deep I pretty much figured--in light of his suspension last fall--that strike three had happened.

I hate it for Dennis, his family, and our team. It's not really my place to evaluate team rules and I have no control over it anyway. So I'll just wish Dennis the best and I hope he gets his GT degree before playing elsewhere. Would be insane not to at this point.

So now let's look at how it affects our football team:

WHY THE LOSS COULD BE HUGE:
1. Lose experienced senior at position that is thin and lacks experience.
2. Lose best blocking and best all-around AB who figured to have a big year.
3. Loss of blocking is underscored by loss of Smelter & Waller at WR who were good blockers, suggesting our perimeter game may be less effective.
4. Yes attrition last year didn't affect us like we thought--and we were also miraculously injury-free at the affected positions. What if we have a rash of AB injuries?

WHY THE LOSS MAY NOT BE SO BAD:
1. Good news at BB (Marcus Allen emergence, Skov transfer, Quaide healing) means MLD and Marshall--two physically ready guys--can compete at AB
2. Good quality and numbers of Johnson's best RB class makes it more likely will we find an at least serviceable tr-fr at the position. We have seen how a stout short guy like Marshall (Godhigh, Roddy) can block their arses off at AB. We've seen a big back like MLD succeed w/ power blocking (Allen, Cox). And we've seen ultra quick guys who can get into a defenders body quick (many). Also Cottrell has lead blocked the veer for years and that experience may help.
3. WR Summers is a good blocker which helps loss of starters. Jeune and Messick are some big bodies who have played some in blocking roles. Plus some big tr-Fr come in at receiver. Perimeter blocking from WR could be better than expected after losing both starters.
4. RS-fr Lynch and Searcy have shown promise and may develop more rapidly with more reps.
5. Thank God for Ike. The ability for walk-ons to affect our offense positively at AB
6. Intangibles: Next man up mentality, Team closeness, JT leadership & knowledge of the offense.
7. Snoddy's emergence as a game breaker last year.

So it hurts but at the same time we have developments that suggest we can still have a strong perimeter game. I see the issues being more early in the season before the new guys get enough reps or if there are injury problems at the position.