Ahmarean brown has entered the transfer portal

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
If you believe McGowan is only 10 pounds heavier than AB, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Kid was 170 pounds soaking wet.
I was making the point that there is more to being a good slot receiver than running fly routes.
And McGowin had more receiving yards than anyone on our team last year besides Camp....and he did it in 5 games

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer

McGowan is listed at 5’11, 205 pounds.
Brown was listed at 5’10, 170 pounds,

Brown- 11 rec, 183 yds, 1 TD
2 rushes, -1 yards, 0 TD
7 games played

McGowan-34 rec, 366 yds 0 TD
24 rushes, 141 yards, 1 TD
8 games played(I was wrong on games played)

So giving up 1 inch and 35 pounds. Stats aren’t even close. Rushing yardage, touches, and average screams physicality.
And yes, he transferred from Northwestern. They won 7 games last year and played for their conference title. I’ll take a guy from a program like that vs. what we had in Brown.

that’s before getting to the other guys that could play slot. Don’t want to diss Brown too much, but we will not miss him.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No doubt this is true. However, Collins has a rep of trying to fit round pegs into squat holes until he can pound them into place or recruit square ones. Up at Temple he promised to form his offense to the personal available. He didn't.

In short, I think this staff has a vision of what they want the team to look like and they won't do things on O that don't fit that vision. They aren't interested in running plays that suit certain players skills unless they fit. This is ok for the long run, but it leads to embarrassing results for the time being. And, I would guess, to transfers like Brown's.
Yeah...I don't agree. Not with your definition of his rep nor with your characterization of what he did at Temple. He was there for 2 years. Not really time to do much. Also, I'm not sure what a squat hole is, so I'm going to assume autocorrect strikes again.

Deleted member 2897

I bring it up because it is fact. Our offense under CDP is horrendous. Davis was drafted because of what he did at UConn. He was barely used at Tech. Camp has 4 years of all kind of production and is a physical specimen. Nothing to do with current staff and play calling.

AB leaving was not a good thing, no matter how many seem to not care. He was a proven weapon, unlike what we have now.

Lacks context. Our offensive yardage was fine. Our kicking game was one of the worst in college football, which out tons of pressure on our offense. We also had a problem with turnovers early on. I wouldn’t say turnovers and kicking were CDPs problem. Our offensive scoring was average of you factor in our horrid kicking game. We were in every game but a few in the 4th quarter. We improved 50% in every major offensive category last season. If we just improve 10% more this year we’re a 0.500 team. Hell, even our new kicker alone could add 1-2 wins.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Not with your definition of his rep nor with your characterization of what he did at Temple. He was there for 2 years. Not really time to do much. Also, I'm not sure what a squat hole is, so I'm going to assume autocorrect strikes again.
We were warned - right here, btw - about this business of promising to pattern offenses to use inherited personnel then not doing so by many Temple alums when we hired him. Needless to say, not everybody up there was glad to see hie back; but a substantial number were.

And, yes, that's autocorrect again. It screws us as often as it saves us, imho.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
We were warned - right here, btw - about this business of promising to pattern offenses to use inherited personnel then not doing so by many Temple alums when we hired him. Needless to say, not everybody up there was glad to see hie back; but a substantial number were.

haha this bolded part really spoke to me. I am like 2-10 on autocorrect helping me during chat on the iphone. I swear it is out to get me :)

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I’m probably going to ruffle a lot of feathers saying this, but I think for the first few games, Collins and Patenaude tried to tailor the offense to the inherited personnel. It’s just that our offense was having problems even when CPJ was still coaching. His last season at Tech, the only games where I felt like the offense was executing properly were Louisville and VPISU. The rest of the time, it felt like called handoffs, QB keepers where the QB tried to use his athleticism to make something out of nothing, and the occasional pass where the QB would stare down one receiver. Those first few games of Collins’ tenure that had a lot of Tobias and James trying to make plays with their legs were probably Collins’ attempt at continuity. And it wasn’t going so well. If I were in his place, I too probably would have decided that if we’re going to lose games, I’d rather do it while preparing for the future. Not having an offseason after his first season threw a wrench in the transition and development (and kicking game apparently).

MidtownJacket

Staff member

McGowan is listed at 5’11, 205 pounds.
Brown was listed at 5’10, 170 pounds,

Brown- 11 rec, 183 yds, 1 TD
2 rushes, -1 yards, 0 TD
7 games played

McGowan-34 rec, 366 yds 0 TD
24 rushes, 141 yards, 1 TD
8 games played(I was wrong on games played)

So giving up 1 inch and 35 pounds. Stats aren’t even close. Rushing yardage, touches, and average screams physicality.
And yes, he transferred from Northwestern. They won 7 games last year and played for their conference title. I’ll take a guy from a program like that vs. what we had in Brown.

that’s before getting to the other guys that could play slot. Don’t want to diss Brown too much, but we will not miss him.

Couple things stood out to me from the video:

1) Love that he came back to get the ball a few times there, he either broke off the route to help a scrambling QB or adjusted (sometimes in air) for off target balls. That is something I want to see from all the wideouts. Help your QB connect.

2) Seems he has a nose for contact, there were more than a few times he snagged a catch then turned INTO the defender to force the contact as opposed to trying to avoid the collision. That mindset is what lets you break tackles (sometimes even the half step difference is enough that the defender isn't loaded and set to deliver the blow causing him to glance off) and at least avoids the big circus hits that headhunters look for.

3) Kid had some serious taunting celebration game, can't wait to see him do the Zombie on the sideline Camera

4) Liked seeing him come out of the backfield. Speed kills there and saving a couple carries a game for those quick hitting wide runs could be nice to see and HELL on a defense to scheme around given what we expect from CTC and his RBI Room.

5) I am sorry to say Jaz-Z lied to me.. how you gonna do that to me Hova? Still one of the best video/song combos in the Hova's deep repertoire

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’m probably going to ruffle a lot of feathers saying this, but I think for the first few games, Collins and Patenaude tried to tailor the offense to the inherited personnel. It’s just that our offense was having problems even when CPJ was still coaching. His last season at Tech, the only games where I felt like the offense was executing properly were Louisville and VPISU. The rest of the time, it felt like called handoffs, QB keepers where the QB tried to use his athleticism to make something out of nothing, and the occasional pass where the QB would stare down one receiver. Those first few games of Collins’ tenure that had a lot of Tobias and James trying to make plays with their legs were probably Collins’ attempt at continuity. And it wasn’t going so well. If I were in his place, I too probably would have decided that if we’re going to lose games, I’d rather do it while preparing for the future. Not having an offseason after his first season threw a wrench in the transition and development (and kicking game apparently).

We were a top 20 offense (OFEI) in 2018 under CPJ. We weren't at the same level as previous years, but our offense was very capable of moving the ball and scoring. Our defense, however, was very capable of allowing opposing offenses to move the ball and score as well. We didn't have the same type of QB threat with Marshall that we had with JeT, but he was still capable of beating teams with the run game. IMO, had CPJ stayed, we would have seen a slightly better O under Oliver, and with Yates, who committed under CPJ, we would have probab;y seen JeT type performance.

That's neither here nor there now, as CPJ retired, and all that is now just musing about what might have been. CGC was brought in to transition us away from the 3O. He was not handed the right players to implement his vision. Could he have done something different? Sure. He didn't. We are where we are. At this point, we are starting to reach critical mass on depth WRT offensive talent. Once we reach that point, and get meaningful reps with these guys, we should see a drastic change in our fortunes. It COULD happen as soon as this year, but I am betting on 2022

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

But he never said that was what he was going to do that I can recall. They made it clear we were making a drastic change to prove to recruits we weren’t going to run the same things they had seen from Tech.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
You guys really need to learn how to let a kid leave without immediately turning into bitter ex girlfriends.
For real!!! Ahmarean is a good football player who had a terrific year in 2019. Unfortunately 2020 wasn't what he, or anyone else, expected and he felt he needed to be somewhere else to move forward. That happens in all relationships. Sometimes you find out that you're not in the right place when you take a job you thought was going to be great or that was great and then things changed and you're not happy there anymore. That doesn't mean anything is wrong with the job or you, necessarily. Sometimes it's just best to depart. He did. I wish him well (especially when they play UGA). No need to get triggered over what he said.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think if James hadn't gotten hurt he would have taken the job and succeeded in it, but we'll never know. And I think the decision to implement new offensive schemes whether it led to wins or not was made before the season started.

And our offense was pretty fair country football in 2018. The D … well, that's another story.

I think if James hadn't gotten hurt he would have taken the job and succeeded in it, but we'll never know. And I think the decision to implement new offensive schemes whether it led to wins or not was made before the season started.

And our offense was pretty fair country football in 2018. The D … well, that's another story.
So to go with the theme on the Swarm...the D had a new coordinator, he never had time to get his system in place......Although looking back, we had some decent games on D. More turnovers.