Ahmarean brown has entered the transfer portal

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
curious to say that AB was not a good fit....as he was recruited by Collins, not a CPJ recruit. Does this imply that recruiting should now also be questioned....

No. Not a bit. That happens under every coach. Sometimes some really great players just don't turn out to be good fits for the system. Vad Lee is a perfect example from the CPJ era. Sometimes some really talented players just end up not fitting in the system. Blaming coaches for that is nonsense.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Every coaching staff misses.

NO ONE can tell if a kid has a hidden agenda, or what someone is really thinking. Plenty of people make their families, friends, co-workers believe one thing when they are a completely different person internally.
I think someone got in Browns head and told him he has NFL speed and the only true way was via SEC. Now of course the SEC does get more clout and probably rightfully so. But I would be careful how I phrase my words to not burn bridges with other teams/teammates.
I firmly believe Collins is the best coach in the country to get those tweener kids to the NFL.

Would Cottrell be on the Jags if CPJ was still the coach. Would he be on any NFL with any other program? I think Collins is a great salesmen for our players to the NFL. He has a proven track record with producing quality NFL players. Not taking anything away from Nate, but without Collins visibility and constant pressure to scouts to come see his kids it may be a different story.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
No. Not a bit. That happens under every coach. Sometimes some really great players just don't turn out to be good fits for the system. Vad Lee is a perfect example from the CPJ era. Sometimes some really talented players just end up not fitting in the system. Blaming coaches for that is nonsense.
In the current system Brown was the leading receiver on the team and set a record for TDs by a freshman. Its worth questioning why he seemed to be a good fit in year one yet was square peg in year two. Personally I think it was more QB related than coach related.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Um, we lose AB and get one WR that is one inch taller and weighs 10 more pounds, and was rated lower.....Kyric McGowan...from Northwestern

Kyric is a grad transfer so his HS rating really means nothing at this point. He has an all around skillset as a WR that Brown has yet to develop. I wasn't happy to see AB go, but it sounds like he wants to be the #1 guy and that probably wasn't in the cards for him here.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Good points, but he must have picked something up from his time there.

And it wasn't like he was just a symbolic coach, he did have play calling duties. For an offense to be as explosive as their's had been, he must know what plays to run and when. He was also known for coming up with plays on the fly to the advantage of what he saw from defenses during the game.
Beamer did not call plays

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
So you are saying that AB wasn't talented? The 5.7 rivals ranking wasn't accurate? The fact that THIS coaching staff recruited him away from Maryland doesn't matter? While I agree that he probably was losing PT this year, your assertions that he wasn't talented would be a poor reflection on the current staff. I don't think that's the case. I think AB was very talented, but just wasn't a good fit for where we are now and what we are trying to do.
I think he’s talented but haven’t seen him willing to make all the plays a slot needs to make. For example will he go across the middle and make the tough catch. I would rather he had stayed but not worrying too much about a guy who caught 11 passes a year ago.

Kyric is a grad transfer so his HS rating really means nothing at this point. He has an all around skillset as a WR that Brown has yet to develop. I wasn't happy to see AB go, but it sounds like he wants to be the #1 guy and that probably wasn't in the cards for him here.
LOL...so in our current offense with 4 and 5 WRs that all want to be the number one guy...and get to the NFL....doesn't bode well in the age of the transfer portal. So much for player development....lol.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The operative phrase in this is "not a lot". We should be doing everything mentioned in the post " a lot". We would be much more unpredictable and much harder to stop.

But we probably won't since having Brown out there would make them work better. And he's gone.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that our coaching staff knows "a lot" more than essentially EVERYONE on this fourm, and that if they could, they'd be doing "a lot" more of the successful things and "a lot" less of the unsuccessful things.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that our coaching staff knows "a lot" more than essentially EVERYONE on this fourm, and that if they could, they'd be doing "a lot" more of the successful things and "a lot" less of the unsuccessful things.
I admire your blinders

Don’t even know what point you’re trying to make.
Since every kid thinks that they are NFL bound and want to be the go to guy, if they are not...transfer. It will be hard to develop team success in that world because successful teams have a lot of Juniors and Seniors. See Georgia Tech 2014.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
What is going on here? AB was very talented and wish he stayed. i hope he tears it up for my Gamecocks this yr, but I thought AB also got exposed. Reminds me of Snoddy in that he was faster than quick which showed up CDP attempted to get him the ball in the open field. This also explains why you didn’t see AB on as returned. Even though his comments were kind of baseless, i wish him nothing but the best.

@Coloradojacket im really confused at what argument you are trying make and what conclusions you are trying to draw.

slugboy

Staff member
Have we hit this stage yet?
Angry Feed Me GIF by Four Rest Films

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What is going on here? AB was very talented and wish he stayed. i hope he tears it up for my Gamecocks this yr, but I thought AB also got exposed. Reminds me of Snoddy in that he was faster than quick which showed up CDP attempted to get him the ball in the open field. This also explains why you didn’t see AB on as returned. Even though his comments were kind of baseless, i wish him nothing but the best.

@Coloradojacket im really confused at what argument you are trying make and what conclusions you are trying to draw.
I like that comparison to Snoddy. I would say that Cottrell is in that same mold. A DB wouldn't have a chance of catching either of those guys when they passed the LBs, but they didn't have the quickness to consistently get to that level. Not meant to be a knock on any of the players. There have been other players who had the quickness to get to that level, but not the speed to break away.

I am not a great defensive mind, and have not studied film of AB. But, it seems to me that once DBs realize that a WR telegraphs a backshoulder or a slant, it becomes much easier to cover him. If they know they will have time to react to such moves, they won't allow such a player to get behind them on the fly.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
No doubt this is true. However, Collins has a rep of trying to fit round pegs into squat holes until he can pound them into place or recruit square ones. Up at Temple he promised to form his offense to the personal available. He didn't.

In short, I think this staff has a vision of what they want the team to look like and they won't do things on O that don't fit that vision. They aren't interested in running plays that suit certain players skills unless they fit. This is ok for the long run, but it leads to embarrassing results for the time being. And, I would guess, to transfers like Brown's.