Ahmarean brown has entered the transfer portal

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
This is the way college football is going to be moving forward. It's just as important to recruit current players on other teams as it is high school players. Year to year free agency

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
We're going to find out that recruiting will involve players already on the team. Not just GT, but all schools. New transfer rule is gonna make player movement the wild wild west.
Hopefully unintended consequences don’t result in us getting South Carolina’s backups and teams like FSU getting our best players.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I'm not really surprised. He was visibly frustrated a few times during games this season and his production is half of what it was last year even though our QB play is better. Outside of football, could be other things going on as well...but from a football standpoint it's not a shocker to me.
As much as us fans get frustrated, sometimes it's good to remember that the players do too. Honestly, I expected us to take a larger step forward this year. Yes, I get the more difficult schedule , youth , etc. According to CGC, the team has been working EXTREMELY hard for 2 years for most of the players. But the results on the field do not show it,
IMO. I have seen very little " coaching up". We have some talent - Gibbs, Sims, Mason, Camp, Williams, Johnson on O ; Dominick, T Oliver, Carpenter, Jackson, Curry,Walton on D. STs, we have Harvin. This isn't brain surgery, it's football. Pursuit angles, eye disciplne , wrapping up on tackles, staying low on blocking, AVOIDING PENALTIES, blocking on FGs, etc. should not be NEW concepts to most of the players. These are basic football skills. These are not soccer players learning a new sport.
In some ways it seems that CGC and staff have "allowed" themselves to take such a long range view of the rebuild ( 7 year contract ) that there is NO sense of urgency.
When a VERY talented 2nd year player such as Brown enters the transfer portal, it may just be a coincidence. But it may not be........
IMHO, the next 9 months are CRITICAL for the CGC experiment. If we don't have a winning record next year, the wheels may start to come off.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
As much as us fans get frustrated, sometimes it's good to remember that the players do too. Honestly, I expected us to take a larger step forward this year. Yes, I get the more difficult schedule , youth , etc. According to CGC, the team has been working EXTREMELY hard for 2 years for most of the players. But the results on the field do not show it,
IMO. I have seen very little " coaching up". We have some talent - Gibbs, Sims, Mason, Camp, Williams, Johnson on O ; Dominick, T Oliver, Carpenter, Jackson, Curry,Walton on D. STs, we have Harvin. This isn't brain surgery, it's football. Pursuit angles, eye disciplne , wrapping up on tackles, staying low on blocking, AVOIDING PENALTIES, blocking on FGs, etc. should not be NEW concepts to most of the players. These are basic football skills. These are not soccer players learning a new sport.
In some ways it seems that CGC and staff have "allowed" themselves to take such a long range view of the rebuild ( 7 year contract ) that there is NO sense of urgency.
When a VERY talented 2nd year player such as Brown enters the transfer portal, it may just be a coincidence. But it may not be........
IMHO, the next 9 months are CRITICAL for the CGC experiment. If we don't have a winning record next year, the wheels may start to come off.
If we don’t have a winning season next year, Collins has to be on the hot seat going into year 4. If we have losing seasons in ‘21 and ‘22, he needs to be gone.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a surprise to me. I wouldn’t be surprised if the reason is something unrelated to football. It could be homesickness, it could be that he doesn’t like the campus culture at Tech, or it could be something else entirely. I was really excited to see him ball out on the flats, but I wish him well wherever he goes (except for when/if he plays against us).

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
To be fair he just wasn’t getting targets like he was in his freshman year so this is very understandable. Now what needs to happen is we get something like grad transfer that has experience. Peje Harris and sanders have shown at times this year they can step up and be the main receivers but they need to show that over a span of games just not every game or 2 here and there.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
If we don’t have a winning season next year, Collins has to be on the hot seat going into year 4. If we have losing seasons in ‘21 and ‘22, he needs to be gone.
It took Beamer 8 years to build something at VT. It took Dabo about 3 years to mold an already talented roster into what they've become. Bobby Bowden did not build FSU overnight. I'm not advocating that CGC is a great coach yet, but putting him on the hot seat next year is silly. He inherited a middling G5 roster and fans expect instant results.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
This sucks. This is the only outgoing transfer that I really don’t like. He was/is explosive.

Wonder is this is something we saw coming with the somewhat recent WW offer to the mid from liberty and Haynes announcing he’s enrolling early.

Either way, this sucks.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Houston we could have a problem. Need to find out what the problem is and fast. one of your better receivers last year is going. Looking at the play of all the WR's this could it be CKD ?

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Houston we could have a problem. Need to find out what the problem is and fast. one of your better receivers last year is going. Looking at the play of all the WR's this could it be CKD ?
I also wonder often if CKD is the problem. I know from last years class we basically had 4 star receiver javon baker flipped from bama but CKD turned him down.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Hate to see Brown go and we will miss him but the difference makers that are going to turn this program around are going to be OL and DL. When they are big enough, fast enough, good enough and deep enough we will be a force in the ACC. Just look at last night, for example.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I also wonder often if CKD is the problem. I know from last years class we basically had 4 star receiver javon baker flipped from bama but CKD turned him down.

This is an interesting thought, regarding CKD. But I still really think there's a raw talent deficiency in our receivers. In addition to that though, the comments from the NC St broadcast where they pointed out that all the receivers basically quit on their routes was troublesome.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder, he was still getting targets while healthy. Remember that Tyreek Hill like route he ran that Jeff just overthrew him on? I think he was getting the proper attention from secondaries which lowered his targets, but was still getting open and getting looks.

That makes me think there may be other factors outside of football. Closer to home during a pandemic, wouldn’t blame him