After re-watching Miami/Duke game-

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Duke held the Canes to 22 points. That's a major accomplishment for the talent Duke puts on the field defensively. The play of the Duke safeties Cash and Edwards as well as the LB Helton stood out to me. If Isaiah and Golden can match the play of Cash and Edwards of Duke, we'll be in business. On the first drive of the game, Miami was strolling down the field, and Cash of Duke made two big plays in the red zone, blowing up a WR screen on one play, to force a FG. Edwards came up in run support and stuffed things a couple of times. As far as Helton, he is not very fast, but he is a sure tackler. Duke was able to blitz and get pressure on Kaaya, and on 3rd and long, they kept Duke Johnson in front of them with Helton making some sure tackles, albeit 6 or 7 yards down the field. But on 3rd and 12, that's all you need. Bottom line, if we match Duke's effort defensively, I think we win. It's easy to look at Miami's speed at receiver and cower back into coverage, bringing no pressure. I hope Roof doesn't do that. Kaaya has a nice accurate arm when he has time. You have to put pressure on him, but be sure tacklers on the dump off stuff.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I'm trying to picture him playing as physical as Cash for Duke, and it's hard to see. Also, can't sleep on the freshman backup RB Yearby for Miami. He was very impressive in that game.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Duke held the Canes to 22 points. That's a major accomplishment for the talent Duke puts on the field defensively. The play of the Duke safeties Cash and Edwards as well as the LB Helton stood out to me. If Isaiah and Golden can match the play of Cash and Edwards of Duke, we'll be in business. On the first drive of the game, Miami was strolling down the field, and Cash of Duke made two big plays in the red zone, blowing up a WR screen on one play, to force a FG. Edwards came up in run support and stuffed things a couple of times. As far as Helton, he is not very fast, but he is a sure tackler. Duke was able to blitz and get pressure on Kaaya, and on 3rd and long, they kept Duke Johnson in front of them with Helton making some sure tackles, albeit 6 or 7 yards down the field. But on 3rd and 12, that's all you need. Bottom line, if we match Duke's effort defensively, I think we win. It's easy to look at Miami's speed at receiver and cower back into coverage, bringing no pressure. I hope Roof doesn't do that. Kaaya has a nice accurate arm when he has time. You have to put pressure on him, but be sure tacklers on the dump off stuff.
I tend to agree. I have been going over this game in my head a bunch too. I think we need to bring a lot of pressure and mix the blitzes and coverages up a bunch too. Kaaya is likely to make a couple costly mistakes if we can make him uncomfortable. He is good enough to tear us part with time and he has the weapons down field to help him get it done. They are going to score on us some anyway, so we might as well try to create a few TOs that we wouldn't otherwise. I think we know enough about our front four now to abandon any hope of QB pressure without bringing numbers. We don't need to wait until later in the game to make it happen. You are right. Our safeties need to step it up and there is no better time than tomorrow night to get that done.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Another note from watching that game, the guy may light is up this year, but I've never been impressed with Anthony Boone. His accuracy as a passer makes Vad Lee look like Tom Brady.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another note from watching that game, the guy may light is up this year, but I've never been impressed with Anthony Boone. His accuracy as a passer makes Vad Lee look like Tom Brady.

I agree from the Duke/Miami game. But I don't know how much was all the body blows that Boone took. Almost all QBs get less accurate after being beat up. We need more pressure even if it means a quicker score for the other team. We need more stops overall, that's the goal whether by downs or turnovers.