After CPJ...

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Willie Fritz has also done an outstanding job so far at GSU. You'd be surprised how similar his offense can look to some of what we do now, even though it's out of the shotgun or pistol. Monken's guys, recruited for the flexbone, adapted really well to it. He'll be moving on shortly though, now that GSU has become a stepping stone job. Would love to have TR around for a long time. Possibly Fritz as OC. Just speculating for fun. Lots of good options on the current staff for promotions, too.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I doubt coach Ken leaves Navy. His family apparently LOVES the town of Annapolis, and wants to retire there. (FWIW, Annapolis is, in fact, a wonderful little town. Just a fabulous place to raise a family and settle down)

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I really believe that Tech hit on something with CPJ and his "system". There's a reason the service academies have upheld his philosophy. Tech and the academies can't get the same 1.8 GPA 350 pound kids the SEC schools can. It takes a certain outlook to view the "limitations" as a feature, not a bug. In an option-based system, the players can play smarter and beat a bigger, stronger, team. Regardless of all else, Tech's athletes will always be smarter. (Though certainly, guys who are bigger and smarter JHD, Gotsis, Devine, are a bonus.)

That said, I don't feel like we have to keep the flexbone. As CPJ has pointed out; after motion, Tech is essentially in a pro set for triple option plays. I'd think a pro set base could work well. Troy Calhoun at Air Force runs a great spread option style out of multiple sets, pistol, shotgun, flex. Willie Fritz's offense is similar. Bob Stitt, now at Montana, runs a spread option that is like the mirror universe pass-first version of CPJs offense. Of course, Ken Niumatalolo and Jeff Monkin both belong to the Church of CPJ.

I'd like the next coach to be like CPJ circa 2008. A history of success at a school with challenging recruiting. Like the academies or a small high academic school (see Bob Stitt, Colorado School of Mines). I want a unique system. I don't believe Tech can run the same offense as UGA, recruit the same players, and win consistently. Not because they are better, but because we are different. Gailey tried to work around Tech's "limitations" and failed. CPJ embraces the challenges that make Tech, Tech. I want our next coach to do the same. (But, hopefully, not for many years. When CPJ retires victoriously after numerous championships and a long win streak in COFH.)

Last edited:

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting thread; where's the George Godsey love? His career path appears to be NFL, but you never know. Maybe a few years down the road, he'll be ready for the relative security of being HC at his alma mater.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting thread; where's the George Godsey love? His career path appears to be NFL, but you never know. Maybe a few years down the road, he'll be ready for the relative security of being HC at his alma mater.
I've heard he has no interest in returning to Tech. Think he's a NFL guy all the way.

thwgjacket

Monken is a great coach IMO, but I heard terrible things about him from people at Southern. Apparently he was a real jerk, and none of the players liked him.

Niumatalolo has my vote! But why are we talking about this? We all know CPJ isn't going to quit.
Wow, not even close. I would suggest your "people at Southern" not speak for an entire team. Reminds me of a story I heard about CPJ once. A guy tells me that he heard from his buddy on one of CPJ's team that CPJ was an A-hole and that none of the players liked him. I asked the guy if his buddy played a lot. He said no, his buddy never started but he felt that he should have...shocker. I can tell you this, I've met both and both are really nice, humble guys. Both have taken time to help me out with stuff when they didn't have to, and they gained absolutely nothing from it personally, mainly because I'm not an important person lol. They're both just plain out great guys. Anyone who says otherwise should be viewed with suspicion.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I've heard he has no interest in returning to Tech. Think he's a NFL guy all the way.

Bigb, I agree there's no doubt Godsey's pointed the NFL way now. If he and Bill O'Brien revitalize the Houston Texans offense, the Goose will be an NFL HC candidate for sure. But NFL HC jobs don't often come open on good teams. It's always the Browns or the Raiders or the Bucs, and those organizations chew up coaches like a shark chews up a seal. And you never know what'll happen with our program. Maybe a few years down the line, both GT and Goose will be looking for a new direction. Our flexbone is rolling now, but as all those prospectuses say, 'past performance is no guarantee of future results,' the future being post-Justin Thomas.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Has to be tough being Paul Johnson. Goes 14-3, wins OB, starts new season 69-0, and now has to read his coaching obituary already.
Technically the thread started before the game:) I really don't know if that makes it better or worse though.:(:)o_O To many mixed up emotions.

RussianOffense

Georgia Tech Fan
I think Johnson is great coach because he is wise and great coach not because of system. I want another great coach but no triple option coach necessary.