After CPJ...

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Of course, I am entirely focused on what a joyful day it is - the blossoming of the new golden (tornado) age of GT football...

So take this question in the spirit intended (that is, something I might casually chat about as we hang out next to the grill while tailgating - which I desperately wish I was doing):
  • Once CPJ decides to hang up his spurs, would you want to see GT continue in the CPJ, flexbone/TO tradition, hiring a CPJ disciple? Or would you rather see us run a more "modern" spread offense, prostyle, whatever isn't what we do now?
I have to say - I love what we do now, and I hope we do it until the day I die...

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Of course, I am entirely focused on what a joyful day it is - the blossoming of the new golden (tornado) age of GT football...

So take this question in the spirit intended (that is, something I might casually chat about as we hang out next to the grill while tailgating - which I desperately wish I was doing):
  • Once CPJ decides to hang up his spurs, would you want to see GT continue in the CPJ, flexbone/TO tradition, hiring a CPJ disciple? Or would you rather see us run a more "modern" spread offense, prostyle, whatever isn't what we do now?
I have to say - I love what we do now, and I hope we do it until the day I die...
Yes keep the offense, with CPJ as AD.

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
Coach Joshua Nesbitt has a nice ring to it

JN.jpg

Atlanta, Georgia January 12, 2017

Paul Johnson stepped down yesterday after Georgia Tech's third straight top 20 finish , two consecutive ACC championships and back-to-back Orange Bowl wins. Brian van Gorder was immediately named as Johnson's successor. It was not known at press time whether any of the staff, including defensive coordinator Ted Roof would be retained.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Atlanta, Georgia January 12, 2017

Paul Johnson stepped down yesterday after Georgia Tech's third straight top 20 finish , two consecutive ACC championships and back-to-back Orange Bowl wins. Brian van Gorder was immediately named as Johnson's successor. It was not known at press time whether any of the staff, including defensive coordinator Ted Roof would be retained.

Or possibly "Coach Ken Niumatalolo follows CPJ's path from Annapolis to Atlanta."

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd prefer Jeff Monken

Monken is a great coach IMO, but I heard terrible things about him from people at Southern. Apparently he was a real jerk, and none of the players liked him.

Niumatalolo has my vote! But why are we talking about this? We all know CPJ isn't going to quit.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I doubt it would be Ken N. because I expect Johnson to continue to coach for a while longer, and Ken would be fairly old to be making a move, if it is 8+ years down the road. I would guess either Johnson grooms somebody for the job, either OC or HC with play calling duties, and either he takes over as HC, or we hire somebody who is ST/D oriented and willing to keep the offensive staff intact with the OC taking over play calling. I doubt we hire anybody who is any sort of well known at this point.