Advantages or Disadvantages of our current scheme vs a spread passing scheme (think Leach, Gundy etc

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
I was doing some research for a different thread and put together these figures on passing efficiency from the NCAA stats page. Not surprisingly, our passing efficiency isn't that great this year.

Last year was a tough year just because we had the lead in the fourth quarter against #16 VT, Miami, and #15 Clemson then squandered the opportunities away.

GT Passing Efficiency National Rank in Last 10 Years
2013: #84 (so far)
2012: #35
2011: #14
2010: #113
2009: #12
2008: #92
2007: #108
2006: #82
2005: #109
2004: #101
2003: #96

Wow, that's very interesting. It looks like passing efficiency is one of the best predictors of our offensive success, both in the Johnson and Gailey years.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have faced 3 Ds from the top 15 in ESPNs Extra Points Added, Defense: VPI, BYU, and CU. Our struggle against them has led you to conclude that we should consider changing our scheme. Is that correct?

Clemson has faced one such D. They scored only 7 until garbage time. Should they consider changing offensive scheme, too?
Good point. We have to keep this in perspective. Against those three teams you mentioned in the top 15, we averaged 370 yards and over 20 points. Folks, that is not getting "shut down". Do I want to do better? Absolutely. But I think you should take some time and compare how other offenses did against teams of similar caliber. did anybody watch Oregon play Stanford the other day? Like most fan bases, we hold ourselves under a great deal more scrutiny than we do other programs. We can do better and we need to do better, but I like our scheme going forward. Don't forget, this scheme lends itself to some darned good passing. Our base set has 4 wides at any time. It just so happens that we haven't been that great at it yet. The potential is there in our current system and the talent / potential in the program right now at QB.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Good point. We have to keep this in perspective. Against those three teams you mentioned in the top 15, we averaged 370 yards and over 20 points. Folks, that is not getting "shut down". Do I want to do better? Absolutely. But I think you should take some time and compare how other offenses did against teams of similar caliber. did anybody watch Oregon play Stanford the other day? Like most fan bases, we hold ourselves under a great deal more scrutiny than we do other programs. We can do better and we need to do better, but I like our scheme going forward. Don't forget, this scheme lends itself to some darned good passing. Our base set has 4 wides at any time. It just so happens that we haven't been that great at it yet. The potential is there in our current system and the talent / potential in the program right now at QB.

I actually think CPJ really did plan on passing more this season but that Vad hadn't become reliable enough in the passing game for it. If he improves comparably to Josh from 08-09 and Tevin from 10-11, I think we'll have something really special.