Adidas Contract Expiring

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Adidas is no slouch, formed in 1924 as a sports shoe company and headquartered in Bavaria, Germany. It is second only to Nike in sports apparel sales. Nike was formed in 1964 and headquartered in Oregon.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what’s going on with adidas as a whole. They just lost the jersey contract with Germany which is a huge hit since they are basically synonymous and have had the contract forever
Having a jersey number designed that resembles the SS moniker from Nazi Germany in WW2 is not a good look and should never have even see the light of day. In all fairness they caught it but the damage was already done with the leak (simple google search will show it). Adidas is still the supplier for the German National team, but it's an awful look for the company.

TheStolenT

Georgia Tech Fan
Having a jersey number designed that resembles the SS moniker from Nazi Germany in WW2 is not a good look and should never have even see the light of day. In all fairness they caught it but the damage was already done with the leak (simple google search will show it). Adidas is still the supplier for the German National team, but it's an awful look for the company.
I’m pretty sure they had decided to part ways before this happened, but yeah, super bad look for them

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I looked it up. It appears that Adidas themselves did not do this, but rather ... fans could create their own customized jerseys and some did using the "4" runes. Adidas submitted them to the soccer governing body and no one objected until ... it hit social media. They have since blocked the use of "44" as a jersey number on the customization site.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
I just want to see GT merch like everyone else has. Compare:

Ha Ha, 23 items on the GT page and 13 are covid era mask.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I just want to see GT merch like everyone else has. Compare:

I'm right there with you. One item that I'm patiently waiting on but know I'll probably never get is a gold Columbia PFG shirt. Not the button up one, just the regular long sleeve shirt with the SPF in it. All we ever get is white while other schools get 5 different colors. I don't feel like I'm asking for much here.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
I looked it up. It appears that Adidas themselves did not do this, but rather ... fans could create their own customized jerseys and some did using the "4" runes. Adidas submitted them to the soccer governing body and no one objected until ... it hit social media. They have since blocked the use of "44" as a jersey number on the customization site.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Intentional or not, the 44 SS number likeness is not that surprising to me, considering the history of the Dassler family. Adidas was named after Adolph "Adi" Dassler. Adi and his brother Rudolph joined the Nazi party and Hitler Youth and served in the German Army in WW II. Before the war, Adi opened the Adidas factory and brother Rudolph opened the Puma shoe factory in Herzogrenarch Germany just north of Nuremberg where I was stationed in 1985 with the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment with the mission of border security. Undercover Nazism was still existed in that area and was publicly celebrated in the small town streets when we turned over the former US border camps to the Germans in 1991 after the wall fell in 1989. The Adidas factory produced anti-Bazooka gun tubes to fight the Allies during WW II. Adi and Rudolph were de-nazified after the war and the rest is history with Adidas and Puma sportswear. I personally like Nike and miss Russell, which was much less expensive.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
This is their Ron Mexico moment.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Intentional or not, the 44 SS number likeness is not that surprising to me, considering the history of the Dassler family. Adidas was named after Adolph "Adi" Dassler. Adi and his brother Rudolph joined the Nazi party and Hitler Youth and served in the German Army in WW II. Before the war, Adi opened the Adidas factory and brother Rudolph opened the Puma shoe factory in Herzogrenarch Germany just north of Nuremberg where I was stationed in 1985 with the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment with the mission of border security. Undercover Nazism was still existed in that area and was publicly celebrated in the small town streets when we turned over the former US border camps to the Germans in 1991 after the wall fell in 1989. The Adidas factory produced anti-Bazooka gun tubes to fight the Allies during WW II. Adi and Rudolph were de-nazified after the war and the rest is history with Adidas and Puma sportswear. I personally like Nike and miss Russell, which was much less expensive.
Tommy,

Can understand adidas not wanting to get at odds with German law regarding old SS symbols. As an old Textiles major, why can't they just use a different font?

As for 44s in southern Germany, don't forget Sandy Patch's 7th Army had a 44th Infantry Division that was part of the push in Jan-May 1945 from Mannheim, down through Baden-Wurttenberg & Ulm, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and down to Fern Pass in Austria for V-E Day.
1712321530235.png

My Dad was a T5 in the 71st INF Regiment of the 44th. BTW, this is the reason I went Navy ROTC and not Army.

But GT has had a lot of #44s, most notably Brent Cunningham, to name one, from our era.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
Tommy,

Can understand adidas not wanting to get at odds with German law regarding old SS symbols. As an old Textiles major, why can't they just use a different font?

As for 44s in southern Germany, don't forget Sandy Patch's 7th Army had a 44th Infantry Division that was part of the push in Jan-May 1945 from Mannheim, down through Baden-Wurttenberg & Ulm, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and down to Fern Pass in Austria for V-E Day.
View attachment 15963

My Dad was a T5 in the 71st INF Regiment of the 44th. BTW, this is the reason I went Navy ROTC and not Army.

But GT has had a lot of #44s, most notably Brent Cunningham, to name one, from our era.
Thanks Charlie. You would have mad a great Army officer. We had good memories of Brent. I hope he is doing well over the years. We played his Putnam County team in the state class C basketball tournament. A good ball player.

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan
Unless they do it every year and I've just never seen it, seems a bit odd to be having the yard sale to offload extra athletics apparel if we were sticking with Adidas. Seems like a purge, when otherwise they could still give it to athletes just to wear during their free time, to class, etc.