Adam Smith Transferring to GT

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW, I think Quinlan is wrong.
I don't think Smith will be a PG - he doesn't play like a PG. His role is a shooter. I will be very surprised if he logs any significant minutes at the PG position. Jorgy and Heath are both better PG's than Smith is.

I think he will play about 25 mpg off the bench and his role is going to be to stretch the defense and make shots.

Even if Smith came in as a PG (or combo) he should be used only at SG. We have two developing PG's and need complementary shooting and scoring at the SG position. Look forward to watching him shoot and score. Agree with this assessment.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The pickup is exciting, but I'm not sure lack of ability to hit threes was our problem. We don't do a very good job of running sets to get good looks from 3. Even good three point shooters have bad percentages when they don't get good looks.

I hope this works out, but I would not be surprised if his percentage dips to around 30% next year.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The pickup is exciting, but I'm not sure lack of ability to hit threes was our problem. We don't do a very good job of running sets to get good looks from 3. Even good three point shooters have bad percentages when they don't get good looks.

I hope this works out, but I would not be surprised if his percentage dips to around 30% next year.
Not sure I agree with this. For as many 3pt shots as Tadric missed last season, they were typically good shots from the beginning of the season through end of the season. Bolden often had good looks as well. His slow release just allowed defenders time to recover.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
We now have the 8th and 10th returning scorers in the ACC for next season. This can't hurt. Our biggest problem last year was not 3 pt shooting, but lack of scoring. When we talk about Smith what we need is his scoring on a consistent basis, with 3 pt shooting being a big part of that. Not to mention what having at least one guy who's a 3pt threat will do for our inside game.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think some of you underestimate what CBG can do to his shooting. I predict his shooting % is way down.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@AE 87 On the flip side, what about the improvement in Chuck Mitchell's FTs?

Also, valid point about the board.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Again, pessimistic trolls please move to another board. This is a good pickup and we should be excited about the addition.

I agree with AE. The kid is talented and it's a great pick up, but we need to improve in our offensive scheme before we're going to see any real improvement in shooting percentage.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with AE. The kid is talented and it's a great pick up, but we need to improve in our offensive scheme before we're going to see any real improvement in shooting percentage.

I think you will be surprised at how much different the offense will look with Jacobs instead of Cox. Demarco often got the ball in great position but he was not a great finisher. Jacobs is much more talented offensively, and he will not miss as many gimmes. He will also capitalize at the line whereas Demarco wasn't a very good ft shooter.

Having a guy like Smith should give Chuck and Jacobs more room to operate making them more effective. My point is that with more offensively talented players in the system, in addition to other year of development from our young guards, our scheme should be much improved next season.