AD J Batt Introductory Press Conference

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Good sign, but what does it really mean? More academic exceptions?
It means that the GT President has taken personal ownership for our athletic performance and is willing to tie his name to success there. That ain't nothing. And it's a far cry from what we've seen the past, oh, 30+ years if my memory serves.

As to academic exceptions...who knows? And why does that have to be the answer? Give me an administration committed to getting us back on top in the major sports and I'll call it a good day. Until they prove themselves incapable, I don't think presuming the answer is necessary.

slugboy

Staff member
Good sign, but what does it really mean? More academic exceptions?
There are discussions on this board that lean in the direction of "if we had sports science and more academic exceptions we'd get Dexter Manley and Lawrence Taylor and we'd be competing for championships".

It's not that simple, and Northwestern/Stanford/etc are not a few academic exceptions and new degree programs away from the playoffs. We aren't either.

What it does really mean is more important. Cabrera has shown this is something he cares about. We won't repeal state legislation or economics, and Cabrera has things to focus on, but somewhere along the line Batt will need help with something, and he's got someone with more power who will listen to him and support him. If Batt has reasonable needs that can be met and don't blow something else up, he'll probably get those things. He won't get everything, but he can get some important things.
Now, and over the next couple of years, Batt has to figure out what those important things are.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Kg feel comfortable with this guy going to ... batt for us going forward......

friends telling GIF

... ok, now it's been done. Lets all move on from here.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It means that the GT President has taken personal ownership for our athletic performance and is willing to tie his name to success there. That ain't nothing. And it's a far cry from what we've seen the past, oh, 30+ years if my memory serves.

As to academic exceptions...who knows? And why does that have to be the answer? Give me an administration committed to getting us back on top in the major sports and I'll call it a good day. Until they prove themselves incapable, I don't think presuming the answer is necessary.
There are discussions on this board that lean in the direction of "if we had sports science and more academic exceptions we'd get Dexter Manley and Lawrence Taylor and we'd be competing for championships".

It's not that simple, and Northwestern/Stanford/etc are not a few academic exceptions and new degree programs away from the playoffs. We aren't either.

What it does really mean is more important. Cabrera has shown this is something he cares about. We won't repeal state legislation or economics, and Cabrera has things to focus on, but somewhere along the line Batt will need help with something, and he's got someone with more power who will listen to him and support him. If Batt has reasonable needs that can be met and don't blow something else up, he'll probably get those things. He won't get everything, but he can get some important things.
Now, and over the next couple of years, Batt has to figure out what those important things are.
All fine and well and good, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see what specifically we will see going forward. I wasn't stating that we need more exceptions or anything, just throwing that out there because the answer to, "What can the GT president do" elicits only generalities. He recommended a good hire for AD, check. There aren't going to be any new majors or degree programs tied even remotely to football, nor should there be. The finances are separate. The only concrete thing I can think of is academic exceptions.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I also like cabrera's reaction about soccer I really think that would be a HUGE addition to our sports offerign for generating support within the student body for the school in general. Get them caring about the school they will attend everything.

PLus we'd never have to worry about kickers again.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
The last really constructive regime imo was Rice/Crecine, lots of good things happened, new facilities, new/broader academic programs, successful teams. Maybe this can be similar or even better. Amazing to see Cabrera interested.

Our presidents otherwise have been luke warm, mostly ignoring athletics, or in some cases practically hostile (Pettit). Research dollars will always get top priority, but nice to see athletics in the mix.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The last really constructive regime imo was Rice/Crecine, lots of good things happened, new facilities, new/broader academic programs, successful teams. Maybe this can be similar or even better. Amazing to see Cabrera interested.

Our presidents otherwise have been luke warm, mostly ignoring athletics, or in some cases practically hostile (Pettit). Research dollars will always get top priority, but nice to see athletics in the mix.
The last prez was a pass thru leader - next meeting.
AC just said "I" am going to make this work and the board just accepted "my" recommendation. "I" will be working with Batt to make this happen.
If u are in resesrch, hill admin, prof and u hear the main guy say gtaa needs support to get to level of research and academics, i think u might consider supporting your boss. Perhaps you may want to make the "I" into "We".

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not a ton from Batt himself (as expected when he hasn't officially started yet -as an aside how is he meeting with coaches and teams without having officially started?) Yet Cabrera's energy and support has me infectiously excited about what this team of Cabrera and Batt can do. I'm excited to hear Batt's "state of the association" address in the next few weeks. I think that we have an opportunity to start changing the way we perceive ourselves.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Also I really like Batt's mention of being a college athletics idealist and that Tech is the epitome of what a university should be.