AD Hire: J Batt

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The majors have to be approved by the state which is dominated by UGA alums or fans. How do you think UGA got engineering to counter GT. That being said, I don't know if GT has petitioned for different majors
I'm a sidewalk fan and know nothing about the inner workings of the BOR or "The Hill", but I can't imagine either altering the curriculum just to suit the football program. Is that even a possibility?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
One thing’s for certain, Cabrera is selecting the hill on which he chooses. It’s Batt, then xxxxx Football Coach, xxxxx Basketball Coach & xxxx Baseball Coach. He literally is going to cement the athletic portion of his legacy in the next 12-24 months.

Will be interesting to see how GT unfolds here, but everybody is saying the right things which is better than we’ve had since Homer Rice prowled the Flats. Remember at one point we had Homer Rice, Bobby Ross, Bobby Cremins, Jim Morris, the four legs of GT athletics.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
One thing’s for certain, Cabrera is selecting the hill on which he chooses. It’s Batt, then xxxxx Football Coach, xxxxx Basketball Coach & xxxx Baseball Coach. He literally is going to cement the athletic portion of his legacy in the next 12-24 months.

Will be interesting to see how GT unfolds here, but everybody is saying the right things which is better than we’ve had since Homer Rice prowled the Flats. Remember at one point we had Homer Rice, Bobby Ross, Bobby Cremins, Jim Morris, the four legs of GT athletics.
So glad he is going to give it a go.

If we cgc was competent, we would be limping along w no direct involvement for 2 more years.

Cgc thank you for continuing to do silly stuff right up till the end.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Amazing that it took Collins and Stansburys demise for the school to finally take athletics seriously again. Not that we didn't before but it felt sort of half baked, and now that the president is pulling out the red carpet I'm excited to see what the future holds .
Remember CPJ once said that the problems are bigger than staffing withing the program but it was how the school and gtaa invests in athletics

slugboy

Staff member
Yes. Understood but doesn’t the Hill add their own hurdles besides those posed by the BoR and the lack of athletic friendly majors?
The Hill = GT Administration = the school , who report to Cabrera. There’s no Hill separate from Cabrera.
The NCAA requires academic progress, and particular methods to measure it. The accrediting boards for our degrees have requirements for those degrees. We’re also top 5/10 in just about every “major” major, and pretty good in business, and athletes have to be in a major open for everyone. None of the deans wants to water down their degrees out of the top 10. The school doesn’t add hurdles to the athletes, it’s more a question of how much of a burden can they take off the athletes.
Flunkgate, years ago under Gailey, was a combination of Gailey delegating academic progress to the administration and the administration having a “sink or swim” attitude. That’s gone.
Now, the big hurdle is who we admit. We have latitude there, but it doesn’t help anyone to admit someone who’ll get crushed by the curriculum

JacketFan137

Banned
Yet Army beat Missouri in its bowl game and App Stste lost to da U by (I think) 2 points. App has a rep for knocking off ranked P5 teams as well. Then there's Cinncy. But … we'll never agree on htis, I think.
winning one group of 5 game is not p5 football and cincy is a significant outlier. the season long grind of a g5 schedule is nowhere near as tough as a p5 schedule even though the acc is very likely near the bottom of the p5. when you play the cellar dwellers of a p5 conference you are playing some BAD teams and that’s why you don’t see g5 teams at the top of the strength of schedule ranks. there’s a reason the two are classified so differently

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
a sizable portion of the fanbase i think wants to be closer to oregon state, app, army than bama. any idea of replicating anything done at a “big school” is scary and uncharted territory so they would prefer to just wallow in mediocrity “the tech way” than try to aim higher
Hi, yes, I am that fan. Although you misunderstand- doing things the bama way is well understood, dishonorable, and disgusting. I also think it doesn't profit a man aught to gain the whole world but lose his soul.

And if you think calling Bear Bryant the very devil hisself and all who follow servants of the Enemy is hyperbolic and not useful, well, then I just dont understand what exactly being a Tech fan means to you.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
There are some rumors about us fielding a women's soccer team in the near future with the goal of balancing Title IX scholarship numbers. I'd love that and would get season tickets but I would not anticipate any teams being added in the near future without this motive -- we are at the minimum teams for D1 status for a reason.

I think an ACC women's soccer team would be extremely successful and have even more sidewalk fans than the WBB team. It'd get some very good draws.

Last edited:

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I'm a sidewalk fan and know nothing about the inner workings of the BOR or "The Hill", but I can't imagine either altering the curriculum just to suit the football program. Is that even a possibility?
The “Hill” is GT’s equivalent of America’s “government”. They’re both here to help and in many cases a necessary evil, just more is rarely better and you often wonder how good life could be without the “benefit” of having so much help from so many so so few can gain so little from so much effort in so few areas at such great expense.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So we went from not caring about the non-revenue sports, some going as far as saying they would rather have them cut that to siphon more money to keep them afloat. Others saying they literally do not care about any other sport than football, some care about basketball too, a few others follow baseball. Now we’re talking about adding sports.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
So we went from not caring about the non-revenue sports, some going as far as saying they would rather have them cut that to siphon more money to keep them afloat. Others saying they literally do not care about any other sport than football, some care about basketball too, a few others follow baseball. Now we’re talking about adding sports.
Different strokes for different folks

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The Hill = GT Administration = the school , who report to Cabrera. There’s no Hill separate from Cabrera.
The NCAA requires academic progress, and particular methods to measure it. The accrediting boards for our degrees have requirements for those degrees. We’re also top 5/10 in just about every “major” major, and pretty good in business, and athletes have to be in a major open for everyone. None of the deans wants to water down their degrees out of the top 10. The school doesn’t add hurdles to the athletes, it’s more a question of how much of a burden can they take off the athletes.
Flunkgate, years ago under Gailey, was a combination of Gailey delegating academic progress to the administration and the administration having a “sink or swim” attitude. That’s gone.
Now, the big hurdle is who we admit. We have latitude there, but it doesn’t help anyone to admit someone who’ll get crushed by the curriculum
I think Tech might be able to get the BoR to go along with expansion of several of the minor programs - history, philosophy, the languages, sociology, political science - into full majors. Rice, VT, and Purdue - the only schools like Tech with, you know, athletic programs have full majors in these areas. (So does Cornell, but they aren't an FBS school.) So do the academies. So, for that matter, do MIT, Carnegie-Mellon, and Cal Tech. True, with GSU in town, this would be a hard and probably multi-year sell and would meet resistance. It would be worth a try, however, for both the athletic program and the school.

Last edited:

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I think Tech might be able to get the BoR to go along with expansion of several of the minor programs - history, philosophy, the languages, sociology, political science - into full majors. Rice, VT, and Purdue - the only schools like Tech with, you know, athletic programs have full majors in these areas. (So does Cornell, but they aren't an FBS school.) So do the academies. So, for that matter, do MIT, Carnegie-Mellon, and Cal Tech. True, with GSU in town, this would be a hard and probably multi-year sell and would meet resistance. It would be worth a try, however, for both the athletic program and the school.
Political Science is a full major, it's just called Public Policy. https://spp.gatech.edu/