AD Hire: J Batt

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought Neville coming in as interim was huge, had the ear of Cabrera as an insider on The Hill, lead to some good things happening.
I hope Batt can update the AA’s practices, doing what has been referred to as professionalizing operations at Bama. Hate how college football is professionalized but iiwii.

JacketFan137

Banned
I think you must be a bit on the younger side. Bama used to chase us, so I'm not sure where you are getting this idea that Tech fans don't want to be the top of the pile.
i am wayyy younger than the average user here based on the comments i see referencing football from the 50s, 60s and 70s. at the same time many of those same users often say stuff like “we can’t do it the way the big guys do it!” for no reason aside from fear of the unknown i guess? not sure where they get this mentality from.

do i think it’s realistic to expect us to become bama/clemson/uga. no. but i think if we emulate some of the things they do to be successful maybe we at least land next to baylor, wakeforest, kentucky, and other schools that are now looking like consistent top25 teams. something we haven’t been in 30+ years

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
i am wayyy younger than the average user here based on the comments i see referencing football from the 50s, 60s and 70s. at the same time many of those same users often say stuff like “we can’t do it the way the big guys do it!” for no reason aside from fear of the unknown i guess? not sure where they get this mentality from.

do i think it’s realistic to expect us to become bama/clemson/uga. no. but i think if we emulate some of the things they do to be successful maybe we at least land next to baylor, wakeforest, kentucky, and other schools that are now looking like consistent top25 teams. something we haven’t been in 30+ years
See I agree with the first paragraph but why couldn’t we rise those higher levels? There’s nothing holding us back but ourselves. If we actually invested in the GTAA like the institute is capable of, why couldn’t we?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah, Collins was considered a great recruiter b/c of what he did at Bama. Key a great OL coach as well. Hell Trent Richardson almost won a Heisman while being one of the worst NFL RBs in the league during his short career. Gotta be weary of people being elite when surrounded by elite.

Wait, I thought Collins was generally praised for being the mastermind of the 2007 GT recruiting class. Are we back to saying Gif Smith was responsible for that now?

JacketFan137

Banned
See I agree with the first paragraph but why couldn’t we rise those higher levels? There’s nothing holding us back but ourselves. If we actually invested in the GTAA like the institute is capable of, why couldn’t we?
i do think it will always be an uphill battle of sorts with the current curriculum and culture of the school. it’s gonna be pretty hard to get international engineering students to be as passionate as t shirt fans in farm land alabama and athens.

i think we can certainly be better than we have the last 30 years and with the right people in charge we could be perennially top 15. this would mean we need to commit to the football program seriously and not handicap ourselves with certain football related things

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing I really liked in the GT press release is that it made it clear Batt was chosen by Cabrera and will report directly to him. There is no shifting accountability to the GTAA Board - they endorsed the choice, but Cabrera made it.

I don’t know if this is a change from past practice, but it also stated Batt wii be a member of Cabrera’s cabinet. This is a at least symbolic statement about the importance of the athletic program to GT.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
All classes, to some degree, recruit each other. That being said, up until Collins was hired, it was generally reported that Gif Smith was the mastermind of that recruiting class.
Seemed like the new assistant coaches were recruited by some one not named cgc who was already on staff.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
i am wayyy younger than the average user here ....

What the?

Well I have half a mind ta write you a sternly-worded correspondence you whipper-snapper!

Just lemme get my...

Grandpa Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What the?

Well I have half a mind ta write you a sternly-worded correspondence you whipper-snapper!

Just lemme get my...

Grandpa Boomer GIF by MOODMAN
Is the “get-bak” coach showing his age? Do I need start showing my biceps and my ability to pull people back against this old man?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
All classes, to some degree, recruit each other. That being said, up until Collins was hired, it was generally reported that Gif Smith was the mastermind of that recruiting class.
To be honest, I had never heard of G***C**** in connection to Tech until he told us in his first elite press conference.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Same here. That could be a way to get all of our international students excited about GT sports. But I suppose that’s a topic for another thread.
Might trigger the need for a women's team due to title 1X. Might be able to meet the numbers with a smaller number of women athletes e.g. women's golf but with our current finances it might take a while for non revenue sports. The golf team may be flush enough to fund a women's team, but a coach would take at least 6 figures.

slugboy

Staff member
Might trigger the need for a women's team due to title 1X. Might be able to meet the numbers with a smaller number of women athletes e.g. women's golf but with our current finances it might take a while for non revenue sports. The golf team may be flush enough to fund a women's team, but a coach would take at least 6 figures.
I think we’re more likely to get a women’s soccer team before a men’s team. If we get a men’s then we’ll definitely get another women’s sport of some kind

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
My goodness! Even in a thread about the new AD, we have take pot shots at Collins. Nick Saban is no dummy. He hired Collins for a good reason. He was not the sole reason for that 2007 class, but he was instrumental towards its success. Just because he failed as a head coach does not mean we need to denigrate on everything else he has done. He is gone and let's just be happy about that without constantly pissing on him.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The Hill is Cabrera’s Hill. His office sits on top of the Hill.
The Board of Regents is another story, but he put a senior member of the Hill in charge of this search. Cabrera has already shown the Hill wants this fixed
Yes. Understood but doesn’t the Hill add their own hurdles besides those posed by the BoR and the lack of athletic friendly majors?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes. Understood but doesn’t the Hill add their own hurdles besides those posed by the BoR and the lack of athletic friendly majors?
The majors have to be approved by the state which is dominated by UGA alums or fans. How do you think UGA got engineering to counter GT. That being said, I don't know if GT has petitioned for different majors