ACC's top QB: Thomas or Winston?

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Just two weeks left in the regular season, and the conference's top performers are finishing strong. Here's a look at some of the key numbers from Week 12.

ACC's top QB: Thomas or Winston?

Georgia Tech QB Justin Thomas may be the biggest reason the Yellow Jackets appear so rejuvenated in 2014. His 15 touchdown passes are the most by a Tech QB since 2006. His 827 rushing yards lead Tech and is the third-most by an QB there in the past decade. His 18.6 yards-per-completions leads the nation and his TD/attempt rate of 10.3 percent trail only J.T. Barrett and Marcus Mariota. Thomas' Adjusted QBR of 83.9 is sixth nationally and tops in the ACC.

So, perhaps it's worth asking the question: Who is the first-team All-ACC QB this year?

Comparing the ACC's Top QBs

Winston Thomas
Total yards 2,907 2,223
Yards/touch 7.6 7.5
Total TDs 21 20
Turnovers 13 7
Adj. QBR 81.5 83.9

Winston has created a bit more yards because he throws more often, but Thomas has coughed up six fewer turnovers. Thomas plays in a bit safer offense, too, and Winston has had to work with a lot of youngsters around him.

And here are a few more numbers worth noting: Thomas leads the ACC in QBR on third/fourth down (96.2) and is second nationally. Winston is second in the ACC at 83.8. Thomas also leads the ACC in QBR when tied or trailing (71.7) while Winston is fifth (65.0). But change that to tied or trailing in the second half, and Winston leads the way (86.7) while Thomas is fourth (57.3).

Of course, the best answer to the debate could well come in Charlotte on Dec. 6.

espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id...s-week-12-recap

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Justin Thomas Passing Stats
75 145 51.7 1396 9.6 15 79 4 161.2
Rushing
153 827 5.4 65 5

Justin has been very efficient and self less with his play. He isn't careless with the ball and isn't overly eager to pass he'll check it into a run or pull the rock down and take off. His numbers wont win him any awards but he is the catalyst for the wins.
I think CPJ could help him with that, I'd like to see his passing yards increase to 2500+ but I realize that would be unattainable.

With that said Winston is a baller. When he locks in Game Over. He is a special talent and #1 draft pick.

Last edited:

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I was telling my dad...IF...and it's a big if. First IF: If Duke loses again. AND

IF JT shows up and plays well against UGA (I'm talking 200/200 type of day to get him to 1500/1000 on the year).

AND IF he outplays Jameis Winston in the ACC Championship Game. He could get talked about as being invited to the Hesiman Ceremony.

The main problem is our offense doesn't lend itself to accruing gargantuan stat totals.

Matt E

GT Athlete
Will JT be all ACC 2nd team? Book it that Winston will be voted 1st team. I don't see anyone out there that could take 2nd over JT but am I missing someone?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It is a bit foolhardy to focus overly on stats. I know stats play a large factor in these awards, but you have to look at his PLAY more than his stats. And that involves the reads and gives he makes in the run / option game. Some of those option plays don't reward him with stats (the gives and pitches), but his play there has been a huge reason we are rolling on O and winning. The awards committees may not bother actually watching the games to understand this. If so the awards aint worth spit.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Mina....I like that premise but there is no way JT gets an invite to the Heisman Ceremony. He won't crack the top 5 in voting even if he torches UGA and FSU. Next year though....yeah he should get some consideration next year if that happens.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Seems a bit foolish to try and compare these 2 QB’s. The systems are so far opposite it’s ridiculous. JT couldn’t play in FSU’s offense and Winston couldn’t play in ours. Bottom line is there’s not a better QB in the ACC for what we do and there’s not a better QB in the ACC for what FSU does.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Seems a bit foolish to try and compare these 2 QB’s. The systems are so far opposite it’s ridiculous. JT couldn’t play in FSU’s offense and Winston couldn’t play in ours. Bottom line is there’s not a better QB in the ACC for what we do and there’s not a better QB in the ACC for what FSU does.

To be fair, the staff was the first school to offer Jameis. I do agree that it isn't a fair comparison given the offenses...JT is doing a bang up job in ours, and Jameis is doing well in FSU's offense.

We know that a QB in our offense CAN get 1st team All ACC because Josh Nesbitt did it in 2009...JT probably is having a better season statistically than Josh did in 2009.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Joshua Nesbitt
Passing
75 162 46.3 1701 10.5 10 87 5 148.7
Rushing
279 1037 3.7 39 18

It's unlikely a QB in this system will win any of the National awards. 3000 yards passing seems to be a requirement now.