ACC!!!!!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Gus ,like many,had the proper stuff to win this year.First bunch of luck no doubt ,second a good dual strength qb and a host of good wrs and backs.Now I know little of what he has coming back but unless he gets folks to run this offense he will be like PJ ...seven and five.Last night he had all he needed and they lost but did move the football well.Yep Chizik was a bad hire but he and Cam got the ring.

The beautiful thing about Malzahn's offense is it doesn't need a dual threat or pro style QB...he can make do with either. Look at his time at Tulsa. They led the nation in total offense with a QB that was a pro style passer and not a dual threat QB. He goes to Auburn, and turns Cam Newton into a Heisman winner in one season. Comes back to Auburn, and rides a QB who didn't get there until fall camp. For all the talk of Jameis Winston, Nick Marshall was the better QB last night.

Their defense is actually young. Their D-line is LOADED with young talent in Dee Ford, Carl Lawson, and Montravious Adams. They've got more studs on the way. They have a QB coming in that was the MVP of the Elite 11 QB camp.

It's like anything. Can Malzahn adjust and tweak enough during his time at Auburn to stay ahead of defenses that are trying to catch up to it? It's going to take a combination of stockpiling talent AND coaching. We'll see. I will say I do enjoy watching that offense go, just like I enjoy watching Oregon's offense and Baylor's offense.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If seems to me Jimbo Fisher is a pretty good person. In the past, the smoke indicated there were under-the-table awards for the recruits signing with FSU. I think at this particular time that Fisher is doing it right. If so, I hope Jimbo has continued success. This FSU team was very successful this year from the beginning to the end. It does appear that FSU needs to tighten up on the defense; they looked lost several times last night on defense.
Read this then tell me if you still feel that way.

http://deadspin.com/jameis-winston-isnt-the-only-problem-here-an-fsu-teac-1467707410

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I can say it as many times I want, because he is. Thanks

I never said you aren't allowed to say it anymore. I just didn't want you to go on thinking that it wasn't possible for you to say it enough. It's entirely possible for you to say it enough. And I think you're there.

Although I will say it would be okay for you to stop saying it now. Point taken. It is your opinion that Paul Johnson is stubborn and inflexible when it comes to his offense. And that you prefer Malzahn and his adaptability. I don't think you're alone in that opinion. Other people have said as much. They just don't harp on it by bringing it up in every thread.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I never said you aren't allowed to say it anymore. I just didn't want you to go on thinking that it wasn't possible for you to say it enough. It's entirely possible for you to say it enough. And I think you're there.

Although I will say it would be okay for you to stop saying it now. Point taken. It is your opinion that Paul Johnson is stubborn and inflexible when it comes to his offense. And that you prefer Malzahn and his adaptability. I don't think you're alone in that opinion. Other people have said as much. They just don't harp on it by bringing it up in every thread.

By the way I think CPJ is flexible, he isn't Malzahn flexible with his approach but I think he is adaptable. Like next year I predict Auburn's offense will look different from what we saw this year. He's spread can be modified a number of way. Chip Kelly has proven to be flexible with his offense as well.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
If seems to me Jimbo Fisher is a pretty good person. In the past, the smoke indicated there were under-the-table awards for the recruits signing with FSU. I think at this particular time that Fisher is doing it right. If so, I hope Jimbo has continued success. This FSU team was very successful this year from the beginning to the end. It does appear that FSU needs to tighten up on the defense; they looked lost several times last night on defense.
Yep like the old coach said it aint the x and os but jimmy and joes................and at FSU he has both a good system and ton of good players to run it.They have great natural defensive players but at times they went into a funk with Aubie throwing over the middle,but man would I love to see a bunch of them in Dodd white and gold.

jeagt

Georgia Tech Fan
By the way I think CPJ is flexible, he isn't Malzahn flexible with his approach but I think he is adaptable. Like next year I predict Auburn's offense will look different from what we saw this year. He's spread can be modified a number of way. Chip Kelly has proven to be flexible with his offense as well.

I think the flexiblity is built into both Kelly's and Malzahn's offenses, just as it is in our's. As has been discussed our passing is mostly run n'shoot concepts. Whether CPJ fully utilizes the built in flexibility like the other two is another story. I'd imagine having a line that could pass block and a QB that could throw probably has some bearing on being flexible as well. Also when's the last time CPJ used any non-flexbone formations? Seems he's pretty open to expanding things in that regard based on what we've seen over the past 2 seasons compared to the rest of his coaching history.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think the flexiblity is built into both Kelly's and Malzahn's offenses, just as it is in our's. As has been discussed our passing is mostly run n'shoot concepts. Whether CPJ fully utilizes the built in flexibility like the other two is another story. I'd imagine having a line that could pass block and a QB that could throw probably has some bearing on being flexible as well. Also when's the last time CPJ used any non-flexbone formations? Seems he's pretty open to expanding things in that regard based on what we've seen over the past 2 seasons compared to the rest of his coaching history.

So you think a non mobile pocket QB would work in this offense? Has CPJ ever used one? I hear so much of the run & shoot but the evidence points to him not being very successful running it, specifically at GT. I know he coached a Run&Shoot offense before I find it perplexing that we've been so unsuccessful with it's implementation.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
The beautiful thing about Malzahn's offense is it doesn't need a dual threat or pro style QB...he can make do with either. Look at his time at Tulsa. They led the nation in total offense with a QB that was a pro style passer and not a dual threat QB. He goes to Auburn, and turns Cam Newton into a Heisman winner in one season. Comes back to Auburn, and rides a QB who didn't get there until fall camp. For all the talk of Jameis Winston, Nick Marshall was the better QB last night.

Their defense is actually young. Their D-line is LOADED with young talent in Dee Ford, Carl Lawson, and Montravious Adams. They've got more studs on the way. They have a QB coming in that was the MVP of the Elite 11 QB camp.

It's like anything. Can Malzahn adjust and tweak enough during his time at Auburn to stay ahead of defenses that are trying to catch up to it? It's going to take a combination of stockpiling talent AND coaching. We'll see. I will say I do enjoy watching that offense go, just like I enjoy watching Oregon's offense and Baylor's offense.
U are spot on about Aubie I am afraid................they will get some athletes others may have wanted after this game and season but to me our offense hurts recruiting and theirs enhanced theirs.What they need is a GUY who can run and throw decent passes .Will they find another Marshall ? I dont know but with all the spread qbs in high school out there bet the are interested in playing with Gus and his offense.Of course Aubie always seems to get good defense recruits and next year will be no exception..Now can they keep up that luck ...well who knows but this was their year.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
dressedcheesesid: Interesting article! If this is presently happening and Fisher is aware of this, then no, he does not deserve praise. I have heard many bad things about FSU in the past, but had not heard or seen anything like this lately. All of this type of action is repulsive to me, and should be to those who are interested in honesty and fair play. I will keep my eyes and ears open for other articles and topics regarding Jimbo Fisher and his handling of the athletic problems. Up until now, that is the only negative thing I have seen about FSU football under his direction. I have judged him mostly on interviews I have seen on TV.

Animal02

Banned
That "article" has the feel of the work of fiction imo. It wouldnt surprise me in the least to discover FSU is cheating but that particular writeup just doesn't pass my smell test.

Having a wife that is a tenured professor at a Big Ten univesity.......it doesn't feel like fiction at all.......at she has little contact with anything athletic.......I am dumfounded what goes on these days.....I would not last two weeks in an academic environment.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Having a wife that is a tenured professor at a Big Ten univesity.......it doesn't feel like fiction at all.......at she has little contact with anything athletic.......I am dumfounded what goes on these days.....I would not last two weeks in an academic environment.
If programs are letting the inmates run the asylum in this manner they see doomed to have major issues in the future. Amazingly deplorable if true.