ACC vs. SEC

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Nothing is going to get under their skin. The SEC sends the most players to the NFL, they’ve won eleven of the last 20 natties, has the largest fan bases and the top merchandising in the country. Other than Clemson, they don’t care about the ACC.
The bubble way to many gt grads live in gives us a bad look . GT is a great school and prepares you to be ready to take on many challenges. It is working hard to get its grads be able to follow an entrepreneurs (OWNER) path rather than corporate path. Owners donate.

Back to SEC verses ACC
THE knight commission for ncaa athletic finances is now updated w 2018 data.
GT donor giving is flat at 11.5million for 2016,17,18
Texas AM donor $ increased over 20 million to 94 million.

At the $$$ motor home tailgate area near ME building , I meet

V is right that SEC is gigantic verses ACC
TOTAL 2018 revenue
SEC $1.9billion
ACC $0.9billion.

We sure need to get out of bottom 1/4 of ACC, to be credible when realignment takes place.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
In case you needed something more concrete about GT turning the Big 10 down:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ll-playoff-national-championship-home-atlanta

Not only does Atlanta sit at the geographic heart of the SEC and the ACC, two of the conferences that make up the Power 5, but five years ago, when the Big Ten expanded to 14 teams, the league didn't take Rutgers until it had been turned down by Georgia Tech. Atlanta has brought in so many transplants that nearly half of the Power 5 schools have alumni watch parties on autumn Saturdays.

(BTW, that article also gives more ammo to CGC's claim that GT is in the heart of college football)
I knew there were rumors but had no idea they were true. Thanks for sharing

Let me make something clear and concise: the acc has never been good to us. It has screwed us over multiple times for sh**ty Tobacco Road programs that are of less interest to the big 10

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
In case you needed something more concrete about GT turning the Big 10 down:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ll-playoff-national-championship-home-atlanta

Not only does Atlanta sit at the geographic heart of the SEC and the ACC, two of the conferences that make up the Power 5, but five years ago, when the Big Ten expanded to 14 teams, the league didn't take Rutgers until it had been turned down by Georgia Tech. Atlanta has brought in so many transplants that nearly half of the Power 5 schools have alumni watch parties on autumn Saturdays.

(BTW, that article also gives more ammo to CGC's claim that GT is in the heart of college football)

Let me make something clear and concise: the acc has never been good to us. It has screwed us over multiple times for sh**ty Tobacco Road programs that are of less interest to the big 10

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I said this years ago: GT has to be very diligent going forward because outside of the SEC (and ACC because we are part of them), every conference wants in on Atlanta. If GT continues to say "NO", GA State will be in play. Yes, THAT GA State that we continue to look down on. GA State looks entirely different with P5 money, and then they will be a direct threat to GT as another P5 team in Atlanta where we are trying to stake claim to.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I said this years ago: GT has to be very diligent going forward because outside of the SEC (and ACC because we are part of them), every conference wants in on Atlanta. If GT continues to say "NO", GA State will be in play. Yes, THAT GA State that we continue to look down on. GA State looks entirely different with P5 money, and then they will be a direct threat to GT as another P5 team in Atlanta where we are trying to stake claim to.
I’m not sure this is entirely true. I think a lot of conferences would like to have the Atlanta market, but if we’re honest, GT doesn’t even have the Atlanta market. UGA owns the Atlanta market, and GT probably has around the same percentage that schools like Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, and Clemson do. The B1G wanted to get the NY/NJ market with Rutgers, and Rutgers has been a cellar dweller for a decade. Tech would be an outsider in the B1G just like Nebraska is right now. Losing old rivalries to play “big name” schools that don’t move the needle in their market.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not sure this is entirely true. I think a lot of conferences would like to have the Atlanta market, but if we’re honest, GT doesn’t even have the Atlanta market. UGA owns the Atlanta market, and GT probably has around the same percentage that schools like Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, and Clemson do. The B1G wanted to get the NY/NJ market with Rutgers, and Rutgers has been a cellar dweller for a decade. Tech would be an outsider in the B1G just like Nebraska is right now. Losing old rivalries to play “big name” schools that don’t move the needle in their market.

I like money. And the big 10 payouts mean more to me than playing Virginia. I also like the idea of recruiting the southeast and playing a Midwest schedule. Get more speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I like money. And the big 10 payouts mean more to me than playing Virginia. I also like the idea of recruiting the southeast and playing a Midwest schedule. Get more speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All that extra money sure has helped Maryland, Rutgers, and Nebraska become relevant nationally huh?
Nebraska has been in the BIG for 9 years. They’ve won 10 games once, and won their division once. The last 9 years they were in their traditional Big 12/8, they won 10 games 3 games, and won their division or a share of it 4 times.
Maryland left the ACC 6 seasons ago. They’ve had 1 winning season in the BIG. Their last 6 years in the ACC they had 3 winning seasons, including one of 9 wins.
Rutgers left the Big East/American in 2014. They’ve had 1 winning season in the B1G, and over their 6 seasons they are 21-52. Their last 6 years in the Big East/American they had 2 losing records (one of them was 6-7 after losing a bowl game), went to 5 bowls, and won 9 games 3 times.
Missouri has stayed largely average to mediocre since joining the SEC, with a couple of great years mixed in, just like when they were in the Big 12/8.
Texas A&M has gotten slightly better since they made the jump to the SEC, but nothing eye popping.

So yeah, all the extra money those programs are getting is negligible in providing extra wins. Losing regional rivalries, adding insane travel schedules, worse weather during road games, all for monetary gain which has shown to do little to nothing for numerous programs. Jumping to the B1G means dropping at least 1 of the annual UGA or Clemson games with their 9 game conference schedule. Lose additional rivalry games with Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech, and Notre Dame. I’m sorry, but I don’t see the benefit of leaving the ACC in favor of the B1G. Tech would become more irrelevant regionally than it already is, to go be irrelevant in a geographic region it has no business playing the majority of its games in.
Would playing Indiana and Rutgers add anymore excitement than playing Duke or Virginia? I doubt it. It would probably be even less exciting.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
All that extra money sure has helped Maryland, Rutgers, and Nebraska become relevant nationally huh?
Nebraska has been in the BIG for 9 years. They’ve won 10 games once, and won their division once. The last 9 years they were in their traditional Big 12/8, they won 10 games 3 games, and won their division or a share of it 4 times.
Maryland left the ACC 6 seasons ago. They’ve had 1 winning season in the BIG. Their last 6 years in the ACC they had 3 winning seasons, including one of 9 wins.
Rutgers left the Big East/American in 2014. They’ve had 1 winning season in the B1G, and over their 6 seasons they are 21-52. Their last 6 years in the Big East/American they had 2 losing records (one of them was 6-7 after losing a bowl game), went to 5 bowls, and won 9 games 3 times.
Missouri has stayed largely average to mediocre since joining the SEC, with a couple of great years mixed in, just like when they were in the Big 12/8.
Texas A&M has gotten slightly better since they made the jump to the SEC, but nothing eye popping.

So yeah, all the extra money those programs are getting is negligible in providing extra wins. Losing regional rivalries, adding insane travel schedules, worse weather during road games, all for monetary gain which has shown to do little to nothing for numerous programs. Jumping to the B1G means dropping at least 1 of the annual UGA or Clemson games with their 9 game conference schedule. Lose additional rivalry games with Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech, and Notre Dame. I’m sorry, but I don’t see the benefit of leaving the ACC in favor of the B1G. Tech would become more irrelevant regionally than it already is, to go be irrelevant in a geographic region it has no business playing the majority of its games in.
Would playing Indiana and Rutgers add anymore excitement than playing Duke or Virginia? I doubt it. It would probably be even less exciting.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck

I’m not going to go through one of these useless GT football history lessons b/c I don’t need to explain how little we’ve had to to lose in the last 5 years. You are basically saying “Hi, I don’t want more money because there is some risk of it being mismanaged or losing games to Michigan State or Iowa is preferable to losing to Duke or Virginia.”

If you think you’re program isn’t capable of improving with more money and resources, then you should stop supporting. That’s a loser mentality.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I’m not going to go through one of these useless GT football history lessons b/c I don’t need to explain how little we’ve had to to lose in the last 5 years. You are basically saying “Hi, I don’t want more money because there is some risk of it being mismanaged or losing games to Michigan State or Iowa is preferable to losing to Duke or Virginia.”

If you think you’re program isn’t capable of improving with more money and resources, then you should stop supporting. That’s a loser mentality.
It's not that playing teams in the Big 10 does not move the needle. Maybe a few would like it but I really don't think most would.
But in the end it really doesn't matter what any of us think , we have signed our rights away till 2024 ( I think not sure it may be 2028)

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
It's not that playing teams in the Big 10 does not move the needle. Maybe a few would like it but I really don't think most would.
But in the end it really doesn't matter what any of us think , we have signed our rights away till 2024 ( I think not sure it may be 2028)
The question isn’t whether we would like it or not. Nobody here donates enough to justify the difference between the acc and the big 10. The question is whether the program is better off with more money and could appropriately spend it. I think that’s a no brainer decision

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Of course more money is preferable. But having more money doesn’t automatically create a better program. Isn’t the whole point of this thread comparing the ACC to the SEC? Georgia Tech is in the middle of both of those conferences, and has remained basically irrelevant in the eyes of both for a few decades. So you want to leave the only area in the country where GT has any notoriety and go play teams where most fans probably couldn’t tell you that GT is the Yellow Jackets, or what city GT is in.

Football would get a boost in conference perception, but if we aren’t winning the division it really doesn’t matter. Because of the B1G’s 9 game conference schedule, at lease one if not both of the Georgia and Clemson games would be dropped. Those are automatic sellouts, and provide just as much national recognition as OSU and Michigan while improving local perception. Also, road games in October and November become much tougher because of weather factors. Basketball is basically a lateral move, but lose home games against teams like Duke, UNC, Louisville who fill McCamish. The travel schedule would almost definitely affect baseball and basketball, because the closest B1G school is 10 hours away in Maryland. Those long trips take a toll on bodies, especially with GT’s class schedule. Speaking of baseball, they would be taking a huge backwards step. Baseball is the only sport of the big 3 that has competed on a national level since the 2014 Orange Bowl. They’re also the only team who consistently recruits in the top 25. Who knows how recruiting would change with this big of a geographical shift.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The question isn’t whether we would like it or not. Nobody here donates enough to justify the difference between the acc and the big 10. The question is whether the program is better off with more money and could appropriately spend it. I think that’s a no brainer decision
Ok if all you want is money join the Big 12 - 2 . To answer your question how would it be spent you have an AD that Tech had to help paying off what what he owed, Oregon State, now if I understood right he was to pay it off with the increase he got in pay to come here ( but in his defense I'm not sure anyone really knows what happen). So I really have no idea if we would spend the money to help the sports programs, Past history is not shown me they could.