ACC vs. SEC

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Low concentration of any pro teams + zero academic standards + fertile recruiting territory = gobs of money = good coaches.

“zero academic standards”. Zero.

That is encouraging to me because with us accepting transfers from (in the last few years I can remember in football and basketball) ugag, UF, Auburn, bama (I think), ole miss, vandy and ut then we must be doing things to catch up with them.

From a sports recruiting standpoint I really like that.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
“zero academic standards”. Zero.

That is encouraging to me because with us accepting transfers from (in the last few years I can remember in football and basketball) ugag, UF, Auburn, bama (I think), ole miss, vandy and ut then we must be doing things to catch up with them.

From a sports recruiting standpoint I really like that.

To be fair, Vandy’s academic standards are high but they did lower them to accept more athletes with marginal grades.

To my knowledge, the SEC refuses to release the SAT scores of the freshman incoming class. I hear it’s dreadful.

Clemson is about the same. Top two degree programs are Parks and Recreation and Pre-Business (which is freshman program).

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
Can they watch the show on their own or do they have to go to class and sign in??
source.gif

source.gif

ugacdawg

Georgia Tech Fan
To my knowledge, the SEC refuses to release the SAT scores of the freshman incoming class. I hear it’s dreadful.

Most every school in the SEC does release their incoming freshman class GPA and test score averages from high school. I do not know of any school anywhere that offers those numbers just for scholarship athletes. At least I haven’t seen any school do it.

UGA reported that the class of 2023 incoming freshman scores ranged from 29 to 33 on the ACT and 1260 to 1430 on the SAT for the middle 50%, which forms the majority of the incoming class.

Pretty hard to equate that to athletes though. The minimums for acceptance for UGA are far, far below that mark. The average student could never get accepted anywhere near the minimums but of course athletes just have to meet the registrar minimums to get acceptance.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Most every school in the SEC does release their incoming freshman class GPA and test score averages from high school. I do not know of any school anywhere that offers those numbers just for scholarship athletes. At least I haven’t seen any school do it.

UGA reported that the class of 2023 incoming freshman scores ranged from 29 to 33 on the ACT and 1260 to 1430 on the SAT for the middle 50%, which forms the majority of the incoming class.

Pretty hard to equate that to athletes though. The minimums for acceptance for UGA are far, far below that mark. The average student could never get accepted anywhere near the minimums but of course athletes just have to meet the registrar minimums to get acceptance.

UGA does release athletes’ scores. It’s a GA law. Other schools have declined to do so.

Jmonty71

Banned
To be fair, Vandy’s academic standards are high but they did lower them to accept more athletes with marginal grades.

Clemson is about the same. Top two degree programs are Parks and Recreation and Pre-Business (which is freshman program).
Parks and Rec must be a rally hard program.. Added bowling, basket weaving, basic hand writing, calligraphy, some random study of a certain people (African American, Egyptian, or other)... I seen lots of weird programs out there... No skin off my nose... I'm the guy that passed up going to GT, to join the Marines.. So, my education was lots worse.....LOL

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Most of the posts are on target plus many local tv and radio stations in sec cities have sports programs citing their local school. Hells bells, wsb radio has either a 1 or 2 hour program every Monday night going over the latest news and games of women and mens sports at uga. Tech can't buy that kind of advertisment , but just think what that could do for their athletic standing!I just shake my head.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Hells bells, wsb radio has either a 1 or 2 hour program every Monday night going over the latest news and games of women and mens sports at uga. Tech can't buy that kind of advertisment , but just think what that could do for their athletic standing!I just shake my head.
Almost nothing? Recruits don't watch/listen to that stuff, just old people that are die hard fans.

WrexRacer

Georgia Tech Fan
yuck. The author butchered it. Since they reported the average, I’m assuming the author refers to scores within 1 standard deviation, which would be 68%. But who knows. Terrible phrasing.

I couldn’t decide if it was the middle 50% of the ACT and the middle 50% of the SAT, which may include different students, and that is why it was the majority.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I tried to do some research of ACC vs SEC from a different angle: The amount of revenue GT lost since just the 1990's till now by leaving the SEC all those years ago. I gave up eventually because I spent about an hour and could find clean data. I didn't want to spend much more time on it TBH.

However, something interesting happened recently. Colorado lost their coach Mel Tucker (ex UGA assistant) to Michigan State. Tucker was only at Colorado for a year when he left (and he also questioned the "loyalty" of kids to transfer or decommit....oops), but he was able to double his salary by going to MSU. Much has been made about how Big 10 schools are getting a massive amount of money from their media contracts, and how they are able to poach from other schools. The same can be said about the SEC, as Mississippi State just recently lured Mike Leach from Washington State. This article gives you a good look at the media contracts of different conferences:

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...ributions-lag-behind-other-power-conferences/

Each school in the ACC received $29+ million, versus $43+ million for SEC schools. Going forward, if things do not change (it looks to increase), the difference of $14+/- million over the next 5 years is $70+/- MILLION! If you went backwards and did a conservative estimate of the last 20-25 years, that's easily $150-200+ million in media revenue GT has lost out on. How different does the complexion of GT athletics look with $150-200+ million sitting in our budget?

Remember, that does not include revenue from hosting schools like Auburn/Alabama/Florida/Tennessee/LSU/etc. that have giant fanbases located in Atlanta and travel well.

So if you ask about what GT needs to do to compete at the level of Clemson and SEC schools, the best answer will always be this: Make better decisions. That goes for Dodd's decision many decades ago, it goes for the decision of ADs to award dumb contracts we've had to pay off, and it goes to decisions going forward.

When I say going forward, here's something to chew on: GT could be playing in the Big 10 right now. It was revealed years ago that the Big 10 extended an offer to GT to join them in the last round of expansion. Given our geography and culture, it was deemed GT staying in the ACC was the better choice. You can debate the merits of that choice, however, here are some cold hard facts: The only conference that distributes more money than the SEC to their schools is the Big 10. They distributed $54 million per school last year. That's $25+/- million more PER YEAR than what the ACC distributes. Extrapolate the difference over time on that one.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I tried to do some research of ACC vs SEC from a different angle: The amount of revenue GT lost since just the 1990's till now by leaving the SEC all those years ago. I gave up eventually because I spent about an hour and could find clean data. I didn't want to spend much more time on it TBH.

However, something interesting happened recently. Colorado lost their coach Mel Tucker (ex UGA assistant) to Michigan State. Tucker was only at Colorado for a year when he left (and he also questioned the "loyalty" of kids to transfer or decommit....oops), but he was able to double his salary by going to MSU. Much has been made about how Big 10 schools are getting a massive amount of money from their media contracts, and how they are able to poach from other schools. The same can be said about the SEC, as Mississippi State just recently lured Mike Leach from Washington State. This article gives you a good look at the media contracts of different conferences:

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...ributions-lag-behind-other-power-conferences/

Each school in the ACC received $29+ million, versus $43+ million for SEC schools. Going forward, if things do not change (it looks to increase), the difference of $14+/- million over the next 5 years is $70+/- MILLION! If you went backwards and did a conservative estimate of the last 20-25 years, that's easily $150-200+ million in media revenue GT has lost out on. How different does the complexion of GT athletics look with $150-200+ million sitting in our budget?

Remember, that does not include revenue from hosting schools like Auburn/Alabama/Florida/Tennessee/LSU/etc. that have giant fanbases located in Atlanta and travel well.

So if you ask about what GT needs to do to compete at the level of Clemson and SEC schools, the best answer will always be this: Make better decisions. That goes for Dodd's decision many decades ago, it goes for the decision of ADs to award dumb contracts we've had to pay off, and it goes to decisions going forward.

When I say going forward, here's something to chew on: GT could be playing in the Big 10 right now. It was revealed years ago that the Big 10 extended an offer to GT to join them in the last round of expansion. Given our geography and culture, it was deemed GT staying in the ACC was the better choice. You can debate the merits of that choice, however, here are some cold hard facts: The only conference that distributes more money than the SEC to their schools is the Big 10. They distributed $54 million per school last year. That's $25+/- million more PER YEAR than what the ACC distributes. Extrapolate the difference over time on that one.

In case you needed something more concrete about GT turning the Big 10 down:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ll-playoff-national-championship-home-atlanta

Not only does Atlanta sit at the geographic heart of the SEC and the ACC, two of the conferences that make up the Power 5, but five years ago, when the Big Ten expanded to 14 teams, the league didn't take Rutgers until it had been turned down by Georgia Tech. Atlanta has brought in so many transplants that nearly half of the Power 5 schools have alumni watch parties on autumn Saturdays.

(BTW, that article also gives more ammo to CGC's claim that GT is in the heart of college football)

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
In case you needed something more concrete about GT turning the Big 10 down:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ll-playoff-national-championship-home-atlanta

Not only does Atlanta sit at the geographic heart of the SEC and the ACC, two of the conferences that make up the Power 5, but five years ago, when the Big Ten expanded to 14 teams, the league didn't take Rutgers until it had been turned down by Georgia Tech. Atlanta has brought in so many transplants that nearly half of the Power 5 schools have alumni watch parties on autumn Saturdays.

(BTW, that article also gives more ammo to CGC's claim that GT is in the heart of college football)

We also fit better academically with the BIG10 than $EC, but did the recent additions to the ACC add value to the academic aspect of the conference?