ACC Tournament Play

How many ACC tournament games will we win?

Votes: 6 31.6%

Votes: 3 15.8%

Votes: 7 36.8%

Votes: 3 15.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They don't deserve to go to any regionals. This is obvious, if Purifoy didn't commit the error someone else would have done something stupid. This isn't a new problem with this team. It is actually becoming the norm. Snatch a loss from the jaws of victory the tech baseball slogan.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a good time to put this out here. I was talking to HS baseball coach today who has put 4 players in the hands of Danny Hall. They run a drill where they take indoor batting practice with strobe lights blaring at them. I'm not sure the benefit, but it does seem to be a little odd. My point to this is, the wasted time on crap like this might be better served on making routine plays that actually help you win games.
Very odd. But our team BA ranks 2nd in the best conference in the country.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
They don't deserve to go to any regionals. This is obvious, if Purifoy didn't commit the error someone else would have done something stupid. This isn't a new problem with this team. It is actually becoming the norm. Snatch a loss from the jaws of victory the tech baseball slogan.

So, is this our coaches fault ?

It's been said, "We do things just enough to break your heart" or close to it (Quotes)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Maybe because I am traveling overseas but I have a different perspective on the ACC Tournament.

I see that we gave up 4, 6 and 5 runs in regulation. I frankly expected without Gold that those numbers would be much higher, double digits even. Maybe the ball park helped us, maybe the weather was good for the pitchers...I have no idea, but those aren't terrible compared to my expectations about GT pitching against 3 legitimate NCAA Tourney teams (two likely hosts?).

So, all in all, I am not bothered but the results, and it actually gives me little hope for next weekend, which is FAR more important than this week was for our team.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's gonna be a long bus ride back to Atlanta for Peurifoy. If I'm him I'm apologizing to every single member of the team and coaching staff and then finding a hole to crawl into for a while. Good thing this game is largely meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Baseball is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. We all need things that hold our interest for a while and then move on .......

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Baseball is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. We all need things that hold our interest for a while and then move on .......
Well said.

I've been trying to put into perspective this specific play. Let me say... watching it was BRUTAL. There is not a more routine pop fly. The odds of that not being an out have to be right up there with a hole-in-one in golf. Therefore, I have a hard time calling it anymore than an EXTREME outlier & not indicative of any problem with prep or coaching. Don't get me wrong, Tech probably needs to look hard at both. However, that unimaginable mis-play is not anything more than a fluke. It came at a time in the game that generates the maximum emotional response. Believe me.... I felt it & wanted so bad to explain it somehow. But it's unexplainable.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
It was like the infamous Steve Garvey(?) playing the World Series when he blew a routing ground ball to lose the game. Peurifoy will never get over this play. However he had two earlier games in which he slipped down and led to runs that cost two games. I am just as mad at Justus, who made a terrible throw to first in extra innings that was saved by English. He then swung at ball three with the bases loaded and no strikes on him. Then grounded out to end the inning, when patience at the plate would have likely won the game.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It was like the infamous Steve Garvey(?) playing the World Series when he blew a routing ground ball to lose the game. Peurifoy will never get over this play. However he had two earlier games in which he slipped down and led to runs that cost two games. I am just as mad at Justus, who made a terrible throw to first in extra innings that was saved by English. He then swung at ball three with the bases loaded and no strikes on him. Then grounded out to end the inning, when patience at the plate would have likely won the game.

It was Bill Buckner not Garvey. I remember watching that game and couldn't believe it happened. Sort of the same feeling on Peurifoy's drop.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Peurifoy is human and makes mistakes. He screwed up. There were a lot of other bad plays in the game (both sides), his was the most glaring and at the end. NC State gifted us several runs in the fourth.

Peurifoy is not a great fielder but pretty good this season - .966 fielding %. But not a good hitter - .238 average (lowest of our fielders). I hope he gets over it by next season, but the emotional scar should always be there. I've really screwed up some things that I remember decades later. That's life.

But that drop epitomized the season that could have been.

So, is this our coaches fault ?

It's been said, "We do things just enough to break your heart" or close to it (Quotes)
Indirectly yes. I played college baseball at the juco level and at the time D2 level. I can with astounding assurance we were drilled daily make the easy play. Also, called baseball fundamentals 101. Danny Hall teams don't and that is not debatable, stats prove it. Last night just put a blaring spot light on the problem. I've played a lot of baseball and I've never and I repeat never had a teammate drop a can of corn. Yes errors occur, but some types of errors should never occur. Last night's error was a lazy error in a big game.

Indirectly yes. I played college baseball at the juco level and at the time D2 level. I can with astounding assurance we were drilled daily make the easy play. Also, called baseball fundamentals 101. Danny Hall teams don't and that is not debatable, stats prove it. Last night just put a blaring spot light on the problem. I've played a lot of baseball and I've never and I repeat never had a teammate drop a can of corn. Yes errors occur, but some types of errors should never occur. Last night's error was a lazy error in a big game.
A direct reflection on the coaching.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Peurifoy is human and makes mistakes. He screwed up. There were a lot of other bad plays in the game (both sides), his was the most glaring and at the end. NC State gifted us several runs in the fourth.

Peurifoy is not a great fielder but pretty good this season - .966 fielding %. But not a good hitter - .238 average (lowest of our fielders). I hope he gets over it by next season, but the emotional scar should always be there. I've really screwed up some things that I remember decades later. That's life.

But that drop epitomized the season that could have been.
Didn't he drop one against Clemson that cost the game?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
The minute that Purifoy hit the dugout his a_ _ would have been quarantined to the end of the bench. He would never had seen the field again. Note that we was at bat again later with RISP and fanned, something he did much of the series. I know some of you think that it was a mistake by a college kid, but there are plays in sports that just have to be made and that was one of them!!

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I would say that this error by Purifoy probably costs Tech an NCAA bid.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Didn't he drop one against Clemson that cost the game?

I think he tripped coming up to the ball. Looking at the stats again, Peurifoy should have been benched for a better hitter. But Hall playing for the players rather than the team left him in.

Baseball is many small (and some large things). I don't think Peurifoy made or lost us the NCAAs, there were thousands of plays that went into getting to where we are. Some just more obvious than others. We have a below average ACC baseball team. That's shown by us finishing 9th or 10 the last three years of the regular season.

When the players change but the results stay the same, it's the coaching staff.

I think he tripped coming up to the ball. Looking at the stats again, Peurifoy should have been benched for a better hitter. But Hall playing for the players rather than the team left him in.

Baseball is many small (and some large things). I don't think Peurifoy made or lost us the NCAAs, there were thousands of plays that went into getting to where we are. Some just more obvious than others. We have a below average ACC baseball team. That's shown by us finishing 9th or 10 the last three years of the regular season.

When the players change but the results stay the same, it's the coaching staff.
Amen

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this is a good time to put this out here. I was talking to HS baseball coach today who has put 4 players in the hands of Danny Hall. They run a drill where they take indoor batting practice with strobe lights blaring at them. I'm not sure the benefit, but it does seem to be a little odd. My point to this is, the wasted time on crap like this might be better served on making routine plays that actually help you win games.

They don't do this. I have a relative who played at GT a few years ago and he said that never happened. Guess it's remotely possible they do it now, but I highly doubt it. Your point still is valid though because I was told they don't practice a whole lot on fundamentals such as base running and little things like that which can be the difference in wins and losses.

They don't do this. I have a relative who played at GT a few years ago and he said that never happened. Guess it's remotely possible they do it now, but I highly doubt it. Your point still is valid though because I was told they don't practice a whole lot on fundamentals such as base running and little things like that which can be the difference in wins and losses.
They may not do it now, but they have in the past. I'm 100% confident that my source is not lying or exaggerating. I'm not going to burn bridges and name names, but the coach I talked to is friendly w/ Danny. I'm not here to convince you, but you can think what you want. Not practicing fundamentals is common knowledge for anyone that knows former or current players. Whit Robbins and I talk regularly and he's shared information that would make you shake your head and say can't be true, seriously.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They may not do it now, but they have in the past. I'm 100% confident that my source is not lying or exaggerating. I'm not going to burn bridges and name names, but the coach I talked to is friendly w/ Danny. I'm not here to convince you, but you can think what you want. Not practicing fundamentals is common knowledge for anyone that knows former or current players. Whit Robbins and I talk regularly and he's shared information that would make you shake your head and say can't be true, seriously.

Yeah, the not practicing fundamentals is what is most disturbing. Seems yearly the basics are what hurt us the most.

Funny how the fan base will blast the basketball coaches when the team can't shoot FT's or can't handle the ball or they blast Roof when the defense can't tackle or Sewek when the OL sucks, but Danny gets a pass when his teams routinely commit errors and play poor baseball. Doesn't make sense or am I missing something.