ACC Tournament - MBB Edition

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Too big a hole to climb out of. I think we only have 2 players that would start for ND. Future looks bright however. Now let's get that big in the tranfer portal to pair up with Ndongo. Gapare at the SF.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
ND has 2 excellent freshmen guards. Don't undersell those 2. We have 2 excellent freshmen, our 2 best players. We have a ways to go to climb the ACC latter. The good news is our 2 best players are freshmen. Now let's hope we keep them both and add some more guys as good as Bye and Nait.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I won't dwell on negative. What an effort to get back into it. We had our chances late, which we created. ND survived.

If someone told you the FROTY was in that game, but you didn't know who it was, it would've darn tough to guess. Nait was grait lait. Ndongo was a man, man.

Lots to build on and lots to sell. Pay attention, 'cruits. Somethings cookin' in the A.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
ND has 2 excellent freshmen guards. Don't undersell those 2. We have 2 excellent freshmen, our 2 best players. We have a ways to go to climb the ACC latter. The good news is our 2 best players are freshmen. Now let's hope we keep them both and add some more guys as good as Bye and Nait.

Did we see a future ACC title game preview today?

Future could be bright for us both.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We got more hosses coming. Got Mustaf (G), Sutton (F), and a big C coming in next. Keep Kelley (G), George (G), and Coleman (G) to go with Ndongo (F), Gapare (F), Reeves (G), and Terry (G), and see what we've got. That could be a group to ride with.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We got more hosses coming. Got Mustaf (G), Sutton (F), and a big C coming in next. Keep Kelley (G), George (G), and Coleman (G) to go with Ndongo (F), Gapare (F), Reeves (G), and Terry (G), and see what we've got. That could be a group to ride with.
This offseason will be very interesting to see who stays at GT and who we can bring in from the Portal. I doubt any of us have a real clue!

slugboy

Staff member
I wish I could have had it running in the background at work, even with the loss. I’ll look for the replay.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like we probably aren’t going to re-hash the game too much (don’t really want to either). But damn that Deebo 3 that rimmed out late… we win if it drops. I hope he doesn’t dwell on it too much because he gave us some good minutes. Actually wish we went to him earlier.

It took too long for us to start playing together and desperate, but at least we did see it. Essentially a microcosm of the season.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The upside at crunch time was we actually planed good defense for the shots - rebounding was an issue when we needed it. Ndongo needs 15 more lbs and we need a 4 we can play against bigs.
Offense was the same combination of a missed shot(s) when we had it and turnovers when we needed crisp execution.

Judging by the tweet of CDS's quote post game I expect improvement will come from some growth by the freshman and a lot of roster turnover.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Good fight! Disappointing end to the season. Love the way the two freshman played today. The turnovers later hurt, but it is what it is. As a team, we have to play with defensive intensity the entire game and we didn’t today. The play that flipped it back to ND at the end was the Deebo miss and Burton layup. That 3 would have put us up 4 with about a minute to go. Instead, they were up 1. Makes and misses happen, but that one hurt. Looking forward to next season as we add some more punch to the team.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Microcosm of our season. Dig ourselves into holes, turnovers at inopportune times, and let one player go ham on us.

I thought we had a good chance of at least 2 wins, but you got to win the first one. We were in position to win in it very late, but we GT'd our way out of that win.

Now GTMBB moves on to portal watch...

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Ndongo and George are as good as it gets for FR.WE need Kelly back and really Terry also-- with another portal big.Reeves is the biggest question for me.He started strong but disappeared some.. Lots of potential.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
We got back in the game with defensive pressure and letting George go right at Burton. We take a one point lead and stop the pressure and let the ailing Kelly, Coleman and Sturdivant start jacking threes. Outside of George the rest of the team shot 3 of 19 from three (16%). And that was the game. Ndongo is a productive player but he missed 5 bunnies in the first half of that game and that also really hurt GT.

We need A LOT more talent to win the way Damon Stoudamire wants to do it. He doesn't give the team much schematic advantage at all. It is all my best against your best, mano y mano. He doesn't give the opposition much to think about. It is okay as long he brings in more guys who can win those match-ups.

George and Ndongo are the core and we absolutely NEED those two players to come back. To be frank, I really won't shed a tear over losing any other player on the roster. I think every other player is replaceable.

GT finishes the season rated # 249 (out of 352) in offensive efficiency and # 254 in defensive efficiency. That is awful. That is >70th percentile which means we are far, far, far away from being good at either end of the court.

I went as far back as the 1998 season and this season was the only second time that GT was ranked worse than 200 in both offense AND defensive efficiency. the only other time was last season where we finished ranked #224 on offensive efficiency and #240 in defensive efficiency (Yep this year's squad was ranked lower than last year's team on both ends of the court). We were #277/199 the year before that. Those two seasons got Pastner fired.

Bottom line: We have a LONG way to go to get our heads above water. We desperately need defense all over the floor. We are not competent in any particular area on defense and our coach doesn't try to confuse or fool anybody. We need more strength, quickness, explosiveness and competitiveness. We need way more guys who can win the hustle board stats.

On offense, we need more size and strength and skills down low. We need way better shooting from the perimeter. We need guys who can gain separation and create their own shots and make them.

We flashed sometimes this season and we have a couple of guys with tantalizing potential. But don't be dazzled by those moments. This team was not good and there is a long climb ahead of us.

Mustaf should really help on defense but I'm a bit worried how he fits on offense. Stoudamire has been bitten this year by his insistence on spreading the floor, sending players to the corners that cannot shoot. This is a liability to overcome. If Mustaf is not a decent three point shooter, we run the risk of the same liability. If Stoudamire wants to run these sets, he needs guys who can convert open threes at a decent percentage. Otherwise the defense just sags off of them and dares them to shoot and the lane is clogged..

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
We got back in the game with defensive pressure and letting George go right at Burton. We take a one point lead and stop the pressure and let the ailing Kelly, Coleman and Sturdivant start jacking threes. Outside of George the rest of the team shot 3 of 19 from three (16%). And that was the game. Ndongo is a productive player but he missed 5 bunnies in the first half of that game and that also really hurt GT.

We need A LOT more talent to win the way Damon Stoudamire wants to do it. He doesn't give the team much schematic advantage at all. It is all my best against your best, mano y mano. He doesn't give the opposition much to think about. It is okay as long he brings in more guys who can win those match-ups.

George and Ndongo are the core and we absolutely NEED those two players to come back. To be frank, I really won't shed a tear over losing any other player on the roster. I think every other player is replaceable.

GT finishes the season rated # 249 (out of 352) in offensive efficiency and # 254 in defensive efficiency. That is awful. That is >70th percentile which means we are far, far, far away from being good at either end of the court.

I went as far back as the 1998 season and this season was the only second time that GT was ranked worse than 200 in both offense AND defensive efficiency. the only other time was last season where we finished ranked #224 on offensive efficiency and #240 in defensive efficiency (Yep this year's squad was ranked lower than last year's team on both ends of the court). We were #277/199 the year before that. Those two seasons got Pastner fired.

Bottom line: We have a LONG way to go to get our heads above water. We desperately need defense all over the floor. We are not competent in any particular area on defense and our coach doesn't try to confuse or fool anybody. We need more strength, quickness, explosiveness and competitiveness. We need way more guys who can win the hustle board stats.

On offense, we need more size and strength and skills down low. We need way better shooting from the perimeter. We need guys who can gain separation and create their own shots and make them.

We flashed sometimes this season and we have a couple of guys with tantalizing potential. But don't be dazzled by those moments. This team was not good and there is a long climb ahead of us.

Mustaf should really help on defense but I'm a bit worried how he fits on offense. Stoudamire has been bitten this year by his insistence on spreading the floor, sending players to the corners that cannot shoot. This is a liability to overcome. If Mustaf is not a decent three point shooter, we run the risk of the same liability. If Stoudamire wants to run these sets, he needs guys who can convert open threes at a decent percentage. Otherwise the defense just sags off of them and dares them to shoot and the lane is clogged..
Dang. Just tell it like it is why don’t you?

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Nait George had a huge game, but he committed back to back turnovers on basically our last two possessions that essentially cost us any chance to win the game. The middle screen and roll was simply too predictable and Nait ended up in a tough spot and ND took away his only likely option. I agree with mntwasp that our offensive set is too limited and too predictable, especially considering our poor 3 point shooting.