ACC Tournament - MBB Edition

techgrad

Jolly Good Fellow

He plays dirty. He did a throw down on Miles Kelly at the end of our win over them.

(I have a gif of the video but won't load correctly.)

SUvCl.gif

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Few random thoughts:
  • If we are able to get by ND, I hate having to play Wake Forest again. That buzzer beater will be fresh on their minds.
  • I don't see anyone beating UNC, I think that they cut down the nets and use this as a springboard for the big dance.
  • UVA will beat Duke....They got thrashed at Durham a few weeks ago, and that will serve as motivation if they get the rematch.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Few random thoughts:
  • If we are able to get by ND, I hate having to play Wake Forest again. That buzzer beater will be fresh on their minds.
  • I don't see anyone beating UNC, I think that they cut down the nets and use this as a springboard for the big dance.
  • UVA will beat Duke....They got thrashed at Durham a few weeks ago, and that will serve as motivation if they get the rematch.
Agree on the first 2 bullets. Duke will not lose to UVA. The talent mismatch far exceeds anything Bennett can do for UVA.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Few random thoughts:

I'd certainly love to see GT take our chances against UNC again. We seem to be a different team against the elite teams.

Maybe playing in a tournament type atmosphere (see: Diamond Head Classic) helps us in terms of focus and keeping things loose because the turnaround is so short.

The ACCT is certainly an absolute battle of attrition for the lower seeded teams. If GT makes it that far to play UNC, I'll take it as a win for us regardless of the outcome.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The main reason it is set up like this is to have a maximum of 4 TV windows in a day and to play all of the games at the same place. This is the easiest way to do that.
I understand this. I do think 4 teams having to only play 3 games to win the ACC tourney is beyond reasonably fair against other teams having to win 5 in 5 days. I've always been okay with the top teams getting a bye, just not this gross of an advantage.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I understand this. I do think 4 teams having to only play 3 games to win the ACC tourney is beyond reasonably fair against other teams having to win 5 in 5 days. I've always been okay with the top teams getting a bye, just not this gross of an advantage.
They earned the advantage. With all the yapping this board has done about regular seasons mattering this is reasonable.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
They earned the advantage. With all the yapping this board has done about regular seasons mattering this is reasonable.
A 2-game advantage? No way. Nothing you can say will dissuade me of that opinion.

I agree the top team earns a bye if there are uneven teams, but 2 playing 15 is a big enough advantage. Win the regular season and earn a bye. Monday/Tuesday to get to 8. Thursday to get to 4. Friday to get to 2, and the Championship on Saturday. Done and fair to ALL the teams (including the top teams that earned games against the weaker teams).

This format is about getting as many teams into the NCAA tourney as possible ($$$$), not having a conference tournament to name a champion. I've been a big proponent that the P5 conferences get both the regular season and the tournament champion automatic bids.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
A 2-game advantage? No way. Nothing you can say will dissuade me of that opinion.

I agree the top team earns a bye if there are uneven teams, but 2 playing 15 is a big enough advantage. Win the regular season and earn a bye. Monday/Tuesday to get to 8. Thursday to get to 4. Friday to get to 2, and the Championship on Saturday. Done and fair to ALL the teams (including the top teams that earned games against the weaker teams).

This format is about getting as many teams into the NCAA tourney as possible ($$$$), not having a conference tournament to name a champion. I've been a big proponent that the P5 conferences get both the regular season and the tournament champion automatic bids.
Just be the best regular season teams and reap the rewards. Makes all games count a lot.

Next year the bottom 3 don’t go to the tournament. Lot of incentive to not be in that group.