ACC Tournament 2021

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Look at how each pool has a natural rivalry in it. Pretty wild.

The complete schedule for the 2021 ACC Baseball Championship will be released late Sunday morning (May 23).

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Look at how each pool has a natural rivalry in it. Pretty wild.

The complete schedule for the 2021 ACC Baseball Championship will be released late Sunday morning (May 23).

That is, a strange coincidence that I'm sure the ACC isn't mad about.

I'm torn, I want to win of course but I'm much more concerned about playing well in the NCAAs. Clearly we can win our pool though, maybe that would be enough to secure a 1 seed in regionals?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

I'm torn, I want to win of course but I'm much more concerned about playing well in the NCAAs. Clearly we can win our pool though, maybe that would be enough to secure a 1 seed in regionals?
I really have gotten to the point where I almost don’t care who we play. Outside of a couple of teams, everyone in the NCAA’s will be better than us and will have better pitching records than us. Since we can beat anyone we play just as we can lose to anyone we play, my attitude is “bring ‘me on” and let’s just see what happens.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

I do agree that the NCAA’s matter more to me than the ACC Tournament

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Nope, I think we'd have to win the ACC and even then I doubt we'd be a 1 seed as that would imply we were top 16. Our OOC record is really bad (which leads to our 45 rpi).

But as @MWBATL said, doesn't really matter. We can beat or lose to anyone.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Nope, I think we'd have to win the ACC and even then I doubt we'd be a 1 seed as that would imply we were top 16. Our OOC record is really bad (which leads to our 45 rpi).

But as @MWBATL said, doesn't really matter. We can beat or lose to anyone.

Id argue against that actually. ACCT champ (assuming 4-0) would make us 25-15 in conference. That’s an easy excuse for the selection committee to rectify the travesty of having a top 2 (possibly best) conference in the country only having one 1 seed.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
I really have gotten to the point where I almost don’t care who we play. Outside of a couple of teams, everyone in the NCAA’s will be better than us and will have better pitching records than us. Since we can beat anyone we play just as we can lose to anyone we play, my attitude is “bring ‘me on” and let’s just see what happens.
Classic GT baseball - strong hitting and limited effective pitching depth. Has been this way for many years eh! Maybe one of our pitcher's replicates what Buck Farmer did a few years back and dominates the Tourney!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Id argue against that actually. ACCT champ (assuming 4-0) would make us 25-15 in conference. That’s an easy excuse for the selection committee to rectify the travesty of having a top 2 (possibly best) conference in the country only having one 1 seed.

Hope you're right. It's a real stretch to say we win the 4 games in a row and take our winning streak to 6 (longest of the year) given our bipolar nature. But I'll play.

With us at 25-15, we'd have the second best ACC conf winning % (we can't overtake ND). And very hot having gone 11-3 in our last 14 games (Clempy, Miami. uGag, UNC + tourney). So being arguably the best in the ACC (having won the tourney) or second best (on winning % in ACC), we should be in the top 16.

But our OOC rpi is 128 given our bad 4-4 against >100 rpi teams. (Sorry, while the rpi isn't accurate +/-20 it certainly is +/-100 IMHO).

That's what leads to our 42 rpi. Yes rpi is an awful measure and life isn't fair with that being a central metric the NCAA committee apparently used in assigning the potential host fields.

Classic GT baseball - strong hitting and limited effective pitching depth. Has been this way for many years eh! Maybe one of our pitcher's replicates what Buck Farmer did a few years back and dominates the Tourney!

Also classic GT baseball includes good defense. In the last month our defense has become much better, as good as any. We had so many highlight defensive plays over the "weekend".

Deleted member 2897

I agree. If Georgia Tech or NC State or some team like that wins the tournament, that’s an easy 1 seed. NC State is hot as balls right now - I’d give them a 1 even for being runner up.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree. If Georgia Tech or NC State or some team like that wins the tournament, that’s an easy 1 seed. NC State is hot as balls right now - I’d give them a 1 even for being runner up.
Are we making this too complicated? Seems you'd have to find a reason NOT to give Coastal champ a #1. They played their hand there by giving Pitt (division leader at the time) a potential host.

I'm much more interested in regional location & match-ups than whether it's a #1 or #2 ... although, those probably go hand in hand.

Deleted member 2897

Are we making this too complicated? Seems you'd have to find a reason NOT to give Coastal champ a #1. They played their hand there by giving Pitt (division leader at the time) a potential host.

I'm much more interested in regional location & match-ups than whether it's a #1 or #2 ... although, those probably go hand in hand.

Well remember, if I could change my ID, it would be @PerpetualButthurt. Complaining and overthinking is what I do. 🤣

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
@gtrower & @GTNavyNuke
I think you know this, but as top4 seed, Ga Tech can go 3-1 & win the tournament. Bonus... I'm pretty confident the schedule will have the lower seeds play first. Ga Tech will know who it must beat to advance to Sat semi... the Lou/Clem winner.

Yeah I’m just not sure 3-1 would be as convincing to get us the 1 seed.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Schedule was posted. In all 4 pods, the lower seeds play each other before the top seed plays.