"ACC Title Game Helped Draw Skov to Tech..." AJC

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Skov will be a major surprise. He seems perfectly built for the position, he's mature, smart, and he just needed the right opportunity. We have a solid o-line, and I think he'll put up big numbers. I just don't see Allen keeping the starting spot from Skov.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Also, I think our ACC title game appearance and the way we played, plus our awesome victory in the Orange Bowl will pay dividends in recruiting over the course of the next couple of years. We got in front of a lot of recruits on National TV in a prime time, featured game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If a DL happens to get by Shamire Devine (good luck with that)...they get the opportunity to tackle Skov the bowling ball coming down hill. Good luck, ACC.

That said, I think Allen will remain the starter and Skov will get a lot of carries as well. I have a feeling Allen will be a good BB for us, and get better as the season goes along.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
In addition to his football skills, I think a huge benefit of Skov joining the team will be the leadership, maturity and work ethic he will bring to the classroom, the weight room and the gridiron.

Read up on his personal history - kid is tough and comes from a very good family.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think Skov will be a major surprise. He seems perfectly built for the position, he's mature, smart, and he just needed the right opportunity. We have a solid o-line, and I think he'll put up big numbers. I just don't see Allen keeping the starting spot from Skov.
Not so fast. I am hopeful of Skov, too, but a kid's physique does not make a football player. Daniel Drummond ring any bells?

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
It's all going to depend on when the light comes on with regards to hitting the right hole and adjusting to the nuances of our scheme. Physically he's a great fit, but it will be like Days - you just don't know when he will get it. I hope it's sometime in July!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Seriously? What does Daniel Drummond have to do with any of this?
There's a lot of talk about Skov's physical appearance and how that will automatically make him a stud Bback. You can walk any campus in the country and find perfect physical specimens that can't play a lick of football. Daniel, fair or not, was anointed before he stepped on campus largely due to his physique.

Now Skov is a little different in that he combines maturity and experience with size. Time will tell and I think it's a good bet he'll work out well. However, I don't get that feeling by just looking at a photo.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
There's a lot of talk about Skov's physical appearance and how that will automatically make him a stud Bback. You can walk any campus in the country and find perfect physical specimens that can't play a lick of football. Daniel, fair or not, was anointed before he stepped on campus largely due to his physique.

Now Skov is a little different in that he combines maturity and experience with size. Time will tell and I think it's a good bet he'll work out well. However, I don't get that feeling by just looking at a photo.
Daniel was hampered by injuries, off field issues, and, to some extent imho, Al Groh. As difficult as it is to be a student athlete at Tech, Daniel also lost his father at the time he was contributing on the field. From what little I've read about Skov, he has the physique and the skills, but none of the outside drama and distractions.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Daniel was hampered by injuries, off field issues, and, to some extent imho, Al Groh. As difficult as it is to be a student athlete at Tech, Daniel also lost his father at the time he was contributing on the field. From what little I've read about Skov, he has the physique and the skills, but none of the outside drama and distractions.
Did not know all that about Daniel. I was mainly referring to the fact that he didn't have what it took at Bback, that's where he started and that's what he was recruited for. He washed out at Bback way before any of the stuff you mentioned.

Also, I think our ACC title game appearance and the way we played, plus our awesome victory in the Orange Bowl will pay dividends in recruiting over the course of the next couple of years. We got in front of a lot of recruits on National TV in a prime time, featured game.

If you saw Synjyn Days go 69 yards to the house in the Orange Bowl, and you knew he was graduating, and you could be that guy---anybody would jump at that chance.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Did not know all that about Daniel. I was mainly referring to the fact that he didn't have what it took at Bback, that's where he started and that's what he was recruited for. He washed out at Bback way before any of the stuff you mentioned.
He played defensive end as well as running back in high school. If you look back on the team makeup at the time, we probably needed an athlete like Daniel on defense more than we needed additional depth at B-Back.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
To Piggyback on 00Burdell's comment above about Skov, he's right: Skov is a leader and has a great mental makeup. He seems like the perfect student-athlete. I think he'll be motivated to come in and contribute heavily, as this may be his last chance to, A: showcase his talent for the NFL, & B: play a major role on a college football team. Again, while I think physically he is perfect for BB, his mental makeup, maturity, intelligence, and leadership is the primary reason he will be a major surprise for us at BB. You'd be hard-pressed to find anything negative on this guy. He is spoken very, very highly of.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not so fast. I am hopeful of Skov, too, but a kid's physique does not make a football player. Daniel Drummond ring any bells?
I seem to remember that Drummond couldn't keep weight on once he was clean. He also lost a good bit of explosiveness. His physique was not a product of hard work and muscle milk. DD probably isn't a good comparison to anyone.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
To Piggyback on 00Burdell's comment above about Skov, he's right: Skov is a leader and has a great mental makeup. He seems like the perfect student-athlete. I think he'll be motivated to come in and contribute heavily, as this may be his last chance to, A: showcase his talent for the NFL, & B: play a major role on a college football team. Again, while I think physically he is perfect for BB, his mental makeup, maturity, intelligence, and leadership is the primary reason he will be a major surprise for us at BB. You'd be hard-pressed to find anything negative on this guy. He is spoken very, very highly of.

Yup...just rewatched UGA game. Real TEAM win. Lots of guys doing their part, doing their dirty work and enjoying it. So many guys played key roles.

Skov will be a great teammate...whether he plays a down of BB or rocks it on special teams. You want guys like that around. Speed to the hole and learning the meshpoints we will have to see. He can block and catch a pass fine, and I dont doubt he'll give his all every play.

Should make a great blocker in the return game as well.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Skov played nearly every game since he was eligible for Stanford. He played fullback on a team that uses the fullback very very frequently. This isn't an impressive gym rat were talking about here.

He's
-played with his hand in the dirt
-used to lining up tight behind the qb
-used to blocking
-very physical and accustomed to running behind his pads and with good lean

Again, he's proved all of that on a very good p5 club.

He's absolutely nothing like Drummond. Drummond was a weight lifter who played some football

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Having known the Skov family for a few years now, please do not assume they haven't had a lot to deal with. They have, and then some. I really don't want to expand on it. Just trust me. Both of those boys, Shayne (the only one I really know) and Patrick have had to deal with things most people their age can't even comprehend.

I haven't really watched Patrick play football at all, so I don't want to comment in that regard. I just love their family.

Personally, I think we should just end the Drummond comparisons. I agree Daniel was an impressive looking figure. Let's be honest. You can shake a tree and an impressive physical specimen will fall out. Finding great athletes (football players) is far more challenging.