ACC Stadium Experiences

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Assume tic but in all seriousness, if given the choice to visit any venue, I would probably choose every other school over Miami, except for when they're relevant, such as last year.

At least if I'm resigned to go to a dilapidated morgue, it's easier to get into and out of Wallace Wade. Also I prefer the atmosphere of on campus stadiums over pro venues, for a variety of reasons.
Gotta “like” this simply because you nailed the analogy that I was searching for: “Wallace Wade = morgue”.;)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Duke would be the absolute bottom feeder from a game day standpoint.
I dunno. I have been there a couple of times, and had a great time sitting at the 50 on the Duke sideline, In the shade. That was before they won a few and I doubt you could buy single tickets there now. I do think the parking is bad.

But Clemson rates right up there in my limited visits there. Great people, great stadium.

Clemson is a fun place. We've always had a fun and respectful rivalry with them. Tailgating is always a blast.

Technically ND isn't an ACC member in football, but the 2015 trip and stadium atmosphere was pretty awesome. One of the better game atmospheres...even though the ending to that game wasn't what we had hoped.

Not being a homer here, but it's really hard to beat BDS at night with the Atlanta skyline glowing around the game. Big games at BDS are amazing, and to be able to cross the bridge to celebrate amongst GT fans after a win is one of the best parts of GT games. Experienced it with Atlanta United games as well BDS can definitely be one of the best college game day environments when GT has everything clicking.
I concur about your experience at South Bend in 2015, but it was even better when we went there and won. Even in a loss, the ND fans were friendly and gracious. I was very much impressed.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Miami is by far the worst press box experience, for both a regular game and Orange Bowl, if you can believe it. Corner end zone of the stadium, horrible acoustics, general 1980's look, and behind glass (personally hate this).
That must be near where Hooters had their box when I was there. It was the Dolphins but I can tell you watching a game at Hooters inside the stadium with handpicked waitresses was one of the best times I ever had at a football game- exceptions being of course the National Championship game. Orange Bowl, ACC Championship game & several mutt beat downs.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Obviously I am biased, but GT takes my top spot. That said, I have been to almost all of the stadiums in the ACC at least once. In fairness, a few of those games, (such as Syracuse, VT, Miami, and Pitt), I didn't see GT play, but rather saw a college football game with a friend who lived in the area of the team. Here's how I would rank them.

#1 GT by a landslide.
#2 VT It's close, but it's the second best experience I've ever had at stadium. The fan base is into the game start to finish, and the pregame is awesome too. Fans are a bit pretentious for a team that has never won anything of import though.
#3 Clemson Friendly fans, awesome tailgating, great atmosphere. Seating is awful though, and they really need more than one road into and out of the stadium.
#4 FSU Horrible location, hot as #$^%, ignorant fans, but great atmosphere during the game
#5 NCSU Really just a great venue. Fans were super friendly and tailgating was awesome.
#6 Wake Forest Pretty campus, great fans.
#7 UNC Better than others on this list, worse than some Pretty much mediocre
#8 SU I hate domes, but considering the late fall weather possibilities there, I'll forgive them.
#9-11 Pick an order, I've never been to UVA, BC, or UL
#12 Dook Even empty, it's better than playing in an oversized NFL stadium without the fan support to come anywhere close to filling it.
#13 Pitt Plays in an oversized NFL stadium without the fan support to come anywhere close to filling it.
#14 Miami Plays in an oversized NFL stadium without the fan support to come anywhere close to filling it and their fans are largely classless jerks that cheer injuries.

Caveat: We aren't including ND it appears, but if we did, they would be a solid #2 and everyone else would move down accordingly.

Animal02

Banned
Obviously I am biased, but GT takes my top spot. That said, I have been to almost all of the stadiums in the ACC at least once. In fairness, a few of those games, (such as Syracuse, VT, Miami, and Pitt), I didn't see GT play, but rather saw a college football game with a friend who lived in the area of the team. Here's how I would rank them.

#1 GT by a landslide.
#2 VT It's close, but it's the second best experience I've ever had at stadium. The fan base is into the game start to finish, and the pregame is awesome too. Fans are a bit pretentious for a team that has never won anything of import though.
#3 Clemson Friendly fans, awesome tailgating, great atmosphere. Seating is awful though, and they really need more than one road into and out of the stadium.
#4 FSU Horrible location, hot as #$^%, ignorant fans, but great atmosphere during the game
#5 NCSU Really just a great venue. Fans were super friendly and tailgating was awesome.
#6 Wake Forest Pretty campus, great fans.
#7 UNC Better than others on this list, worse than some Pretty much mediocre
#8 SU I hate domes, but considering the late fall weather possibilities there, I'll forgive them.
#9-11 Pick an order, I've never been to UVA, BC, or UL
#12 Dook Even empty, it's better than playing in an oversized NFL stadium without the fan support to come anywhere close to filling it.
#13 Pitt Plays in an oversized NFL stadium without the fan support to come anywhere close to filling it.
#14 Miami Plays in an oversized NFL stadium without the fan support to come anywhere close to filling it and their fans are largely classless jerks that cheer injuries.

Caveat: We aren't including ND it appears, but if we did, they would be a solid #2 and everyone else would move down accordingly.
I agree the NFL stadiums are the worst for college football. Sterile, not a part of campus, Who wants to tailgate under a freeway bridge like they do in Pittsburgh?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I live in RTP area so will only judge the NC stadiums. I actually like going to Wake Forest. Easy to park and reasonable seat location for visiting fans.
NCSU is okay. Parking is pretty good around stadium unless it is week of the state fair which is nearby. Seats are not great. Their fans are passionate and get good crowds. Of course there isn't much else to do in Raleigh either.
Duke has terrible parking. The open lot is a long way from the stadium. I did that last year and swore I will never do that again. I usually go as a guest of a dookie who has parking privileges. The visiting seats are in the end zone which is a joke since it is never full. Better to buy seats through duke directly as location is better and often much cheaper.
UNC is the worst. Worst fans, no place to park on campus, and visitor seats are terrible. I park at a local shopping center and take a bus. No good place to tailgate. My son went there and was hit by a beer bottle thrown in the student section at a game. I truly dislike that place. I was given seats in the unc alum section 4 years ago when JT was QB. Their fans were yelling for someone to hurt him to get him out of the game. Totally classless.

JCTNJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
BDS at night for a big game is of course my favorite.
Duke gets points because you can sit wherever you want, go in and out, and the locals know to bring their coolers and access them at halftime just outside the gate. Parking there is a 3/4 - 1.5m walk to the stadium. Never have to plan in advance or worry about tickets.
UVA is a cool stadium design, a little worn, but nice place to see a game. Sat in the high dollar donor section one time and heard the most nasty blatant racist things I've heard in my life. I had a middle aged woman dressed to impress turn around and put her finger in my chest every time UVA did something good. Thank god her husband took her out at halftime, it was about to go off the rails. No parking at stadium and no accommodation for handicap access- 2 mile walk to stadium for my 90 year old Father-in-law from where GT tailgate was.
VT is a good atmosphere, the tailgating areas are not the best- people basically tailgate in the ditches around the edges of campus, many of the places are 45 minute walk to the stadium. Had a good experience as a visitor with a friend for the Ohio State game- no rudeness or nastiness. Been there twice for GT games- not so nice- Saw the "Goose Gossage to Calvin for 4TD's in the first half " game, and got a heavy dose of nasty redneck in my ear. Other time was more recent, and our friends had their RV vandalized to the tune of $1000's of dollars damage.
Haven't been to the others besides the Orange Bowl, which half filled doesnt do much for me.

I live in RTP area so will only judge the NC stadiums. I actually like going to Wake Forest. Easy to park and reasonable seat location for visiting fans.
NCSU is okay. Parking is pretty good around stadium unless it is week of the state fair which is nearby. Seats are not great. Their fans are passionate and get good crowds. Of course there isn't much else to do in Raleigh either.
Duke has terrible parking. The open lot is a long way from the stadium. I did that last year and swore I will never do that again. I usually go as a guest of a dookie who has parking privileges. The visiting seats are in the end zone which is a joke since it is never full. Better to buy seats through duke directly as location is better and often much cheaper.
UNC is the worst. Worst fans, no place to park on campus, and visitor seats are terrible. I park at a local shopping center and take a bus. No good place to tailgate. My son went there and was hit by a beer bottle thrown in the student section at a game. I truly dislike that place. I was given seats in the unc alum section 4 years ago when JT was QB. Their fans were yelling for someone to hurt him to get him out of the game. Totally classless.
Duke has seats in the endzone ??? Last time I was there, admittedly more than 5 years ago, the visitor seats were on the sideline. Mine were on about the 20 yard line, although I probably could have moved to the 50 with no problem.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
At the 2010 UNC game, I struck up a conversation with a man from Michigan who said that it was louder in BDS when good things happened for Tech than big at the Big House. On that afternoon, maybe 45,000-48,000 were louder and more into a game than 100,000+. BDS is a special special place.
Been to both. And BDS can get louder. VT game was the loudest game I’ve been too. Living in Michigan I don’t get back to many Tech games but the few I have I can say I agree with what your UM fan said.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Duke has endzone seats in one end and open in the other. I was on the goaline last year in the Tech section. I have bought directly from duke once and was on the 40. The parking location is my biggest complaint.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Duke has endzone seats in one end and open in the other. I was on the goaline last year in the Tech section. I have bought directly from duke once and was on the 40. The parking location is my biggest complaint.
Long ago and far away I went to a couple of Duke games. That was before they became somewhat competitive. (Sorry, I am not a Duke fan. In anything. Well, no. Its health system is good.) But then this little gem of a place with 33,000 seats or so, none at all in one end zone, locker rooms for the visitors over in another time zone was, if one has the right seat, a great place to watch a game. Until they started winning a bit, one could buy a seat on the Duke side, halfway up, on the 50-yard line. When they got mediocre you could still get a seat. That was mostly because Dookies are frontrunners. When the going gets tough, Duke fans quit. So the deal was to buy a cheap seat, wait until Georgia Tech got ahead, generally by early second quarter, and then go over and sit half way up at the 50-yard line on the Duke side. Because those season ticket holders quit and went home to drink or back to the office to file lawsuits or whatever Duke fans do.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
I went to the BC game back in 2008 and while the stadium isn't much to talk about, the walk through the neighborhood and surrounding BC campus after getting off their subway, along with the changing leaves was rather picturesque. Headed to VPI this season and hopefully another win.