ACC Stadium Experiences

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
A thread inspired by a David Hale tweet. How would you rank ACC venues from your own experience?

I always enjoy going to Clemson. I haven't been to UNC since 1990 and really don't remember anything about it other than that we gave them the game. I have only been to VT once, and it was the "lightning bowl" that got cancelled, and I never got inside the stadium. I have been to Duke several times, and it's TERRIBLE there. As good as Clemson and probably FSU are, I just can't imagine any better experience than a big night game at BDS.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
At the 2010 UNC game, I struck up a conversation with a man from Michigan who said that it was louder in BDS when good things happened for Tech than big at the Big House. On that afternoon, maybe 45,000-48,000 were louder and more into a game than 100,000+. BDS is a special special place.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
FSU is very fun tailgating in the hoods surrounding the stadium. FSU fans near our tailgate were very friendly and it felt like a giant block party. The stadium was huge as was the crowd and electric too. (09 lightening delay game). I can still see Nesbitt stealing it back!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is a fun place. We've always had a fun and respectful rivalry with them. Tailgating is always a blast.

Technically ND isn't an ACC member in football, but the 2015 trip and stadium atmosphere was pretty awesome. One of the better game atmospheres...even though the ending to that game wasn't what we had hoped.

Not being a homer here, but it's really hard to beat BDS at night with the Atlanta skyline glowing around the game. Big games at BDS are amazing, and to be able to cross the bridge to celebrate amongst GT fans after a win is one of the best parts of GT games. Experienced it with Atlanta United games as well BDS can definitely be one of the best college game day environments when GT has everything clicking.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
FSU was ok. Clemson our seats where on the next to last row fans were nice getting to seats was the problem for a fat guy. Duke I liked seat anywhere good place to take small kids but no atmosphere like a high school game. WF was poor. NCState ok. UNC no room to move.
I like our Stadium the night games are great no still don't care for Thursday night games.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Miami should be below GT. They play in a rented stadium. Clemson's Death Valley is over built and fans in the upper level are not involved in the game. I would rate VPI over Clemson. I would rate Lakewood Stadium over Wallace Wade.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Thinking about it, the author appears to be just throwing something out and sees what sticks. There is no way Miami should be rated over GT.
1-miami-new-facility-steve-mitchell.jpg

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
@CuseJacket could this be more accurately described as "Experiences in the pressbox at stadiums"
Interesting question.

To levelset
  • In the press box I've been to: Clemson (x2), Miami (x2, one of which was Orange Bowl), GT, Virginia, UNC and Duke
  • As a fan I've been to: Clemson, VT, FSU, GT and Cuse

Miami is by far the worst press box experience, for both a regular game and Orange Bowl, if you can believe it. Corner end zone of the stadium, horrible acoustics, general 1980's look, and behind glass (personally hate this). Underserves on food both in quantity and quality, relative to every other game I've covered. I don't know what Hale is thinking, unless somehow last year was his first time there. But I'm 99% sure he was at the 2014 Orange Bowl, though bowl games are not an apples to apples comparison.

AND, I will go as far as saying, outside of the Orange Bowl game, the fan experience in Miami has to be one of the worst. Last year probably masked the issues of prior years. But I'd personally rather see a game @ Virginia, Cuse, UNC based on those I've personally visited in some capacity. Again, maybe it'd be more interesting now that Miami is relevant. I wasn't there for last year's game.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Interesting question.

To levelset
  • In the press box I've been to: Clemson (x2), Miami (x2, one of which was Orange Bowl), GT, Virginia, UNC and Duke
  • As a fan I've been to: Clemson, VT, FSU, GT and Cuse

Miami is by far the worst press box experience, for both a regular game and Orange Bowl, if you can believe it. Corner end zone of the stadium, horrible acoustics, general 1980's look, and behind glass (personally hate this). Underserves on food both in quantity and quality, relative to every other game I've covered. I don't know what Hale is thinking, unless somehow last year was his first time there. But I'm 99% sure he was at the 2014 Orange Bowl, though bowl games are not an apples to apples comparison.

AND, I will go as far as saying, outside of the Orange Bowl game, the fan experience in Miami has to be one of the worst. Last year probably masked the issues of prior years. But I'd personally rather see a game @ Virginia, Cuse, UNC based on those I've personally visited in some capacity. Again, maybe it'd be more interesting now that Miami is relevant. I wasn't there for last year's game.
"rather see a game at cuse"

notsurprisedkirk.jpg

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
"rather see a game at cuse"
Assume tic but in all seriousness, if given the choice to visit any venue, I would probably choose every other school over Miami, except for when they're relevant, such as last year.

At least if I'm resigned to go to a dilapidated morgue, it's easier to get into and out of Wallace Wade. Also I prefer the atmosphere of on campus stadiums over pro venues, for a variety of reasons.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Miami should be below GT. They play in a rented stadium. Clemson's Death Valley is over built and fans in the upper level are not involved in the game. I would rate VPI over Clemson. I would rate Lakewood Stadium over Wallace Wade.

Absolutely, they should actually be near the bottom with Pitt and duke