ACC Spring Overreactions

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Long has been solid everywhere.
I’m not denying that. I’m simply saying I see a lot of savior believing in Long and I’m leery because Collins is his boss. I’d be more optimistic if Long was Collins boss because Collins has shown us what he can do. Also, if Long were all world he wouldn’t be the OC at a school like GT.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I’m not denying that. I’m simply saying I see a lot of savior believing in Long and I’m leery because Collins is his boss. I’d be more optimistic if Long was Collins boss because Collins has shown us what he can do. Also, if Long were all world he wouldn’t be the OC at a school like GT.

Not quite sure about the last part of your statement. I believe he’s a top 25 OC easily. He was ran out of Notre Dame after having a top 10 offense. I think everyone is underestimating just what a steal he was. PJ was a hell of an offensive mind. Would you consider Mike Bobo a better OC because he was calling plays at a better football school?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This implies that we CAN’T have a good coach at Tech. You might be right going forward but the money will always sway some to roll the dice.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
No I’m not implying we can’t have good coaches. I‘m saying, not implying, that thru whatever circumstances happened Long went to Tulane and is now at a triple year 3 win team. I am worried that we have overblown expectations for Long because he had success at ND. A lot of coaches would have that kind of success with an OLine of 4th and 5th year studs. Eli, just stated he believes Long is a top 25 OC. Those kind of statements don’t jive with the reality that he is the OC for a top 75 team. If he were a top 25 OC he would have been hired by someone other than GT. I hope he is the real deal, but he may be but with our OLine Spurrier couldn‘t OC us to 6 wins.

Eli, everyone knew Bobo sucked but UGA had been known up to now to make stupid hires, especially alum hires (sound familiar). That’s what held them back. They had a string of dumb jock coaches from Donnan onward. Unfortunately, Kirby is the real deal. He’s a jock who knows the game.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I pretty much disagree with essentially all of this (and the previous post by this font...and probably most of them after this post). I know @SOWEGA Jacket wants us to win and wants us to win with this coaching staff, so I just can't buy into all the negativity, especially in May.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
No I’m not implying we can’t have good coaches. I‘m saying, not implying, that thru whatever circumstances happened Long went to Tulane and is now at a triple year 3 win team. I am worried that we have overblown expectations for Long because he had success at ND. A lot of coaches would have that kind of success with an OLine of 4th and 5th year studs. Eli, just stated he believes Long is a top 25 OC. Those kind of statements don’t jive with the reality that he is the OC for a top 75 team. If he were a top 25 OC he would have been hired by someone other than GT. I hope he is the real deal, but he may be but with our OLine Spurrier couldn‘t OC us to 6 wins.

Eli, everyone knew Bobo sucked but UGA had been known up to now to make stupid hires, especially alum hires (sound familiar). That’s what held them back. They had a string of dumb jock coaches from Donnan onward. Unfortunately, Kirby is the real deal. He’s a jock who knows the game.
So where would have you considered Paul Johnson as far as coaches in the NCAA before Tech hired him? Was he 119th best head coach in the country because he was at Navy for 8 years? Your logic is kind of off

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what to expect from Tech this year. Again. But I will say this.

Expecting a massive and quick turn around is unrealistic. The bevy of new coaches will probably make a difference. I expect much more seriousness on the sideline and on the field. I also expect better schemes and generally better play. However, the combination of inexperience and a really tough schedule will probably result in a maximum of 5 wins and it could be worse. With a better schedule and another year, this team might get back on its feet, but I expect a major shift at the top will be necessary to achieve that. But, for heavens sake, let's not put all that on Long and co. They didn't get us Into this situation.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So where would have you considered Paul Johnson as far as coaches in the NCAA before Tech hired him? Was he 119th best head coach in the country because he was at Navy for 8 years? Your logic is kind of off
No it’s not. What does Paul Johnson have to do with any of this? He chose to coach at Navy. Nobody forced him to pass up opportunities at bigger programs. I’m a huge Johnson fan going back to Southern. I’m a South Georgia guy so I know more about Johnson than those who jumped on him when GT hired him. I enjoyed every minute of it but he had the career he chose.

Its simple - you say Long is a top 25 OC. He may be. But the industry says different. He went from a top tier program in ND to a bottom feeder program in Tulane. I get it - circumstances caused that. Fine. But then when the job opportunities came for him GT was the best he could do. If the industry believed he was a top 25 OC then his agent would have been getting calls from top 30 programs. The best Long could do was us. And if the industry agrees with you he’ll be a one and done at GT because we aren’t even close to top 50 let alone top 25.

I think Long will be better than PNode simply because he worked for Brian Kelly and I think my wife would be a better OC than PNode so that’s a low bar. But, I think way too many fans on this board are putting undue hope in Long. Long will not have a NFL OLine and 3 NFL TE’s to work with. I like a lot of our players but I have little faith that Collins can get out of the way. And my belief that Key is anything other than a yes man is gone.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan
No it’s not. What does Paul Johnson have to do with any of this? He chose to coach at Navy. Nobody forced him to pass up opportunities at bigger programs. I’m a huge Johnson fan going back to Southern. I’m a South Georgia guy so I know more about Johnson than those who jumped on him when GT hired him. I enjoyed every minute of it but he had the career he chose.

Its simple - you say Long is a top 25 OC. He may be. But the industry says different. He went from a top tier program in ND to a bottom feeder program in Tulane. I get it - circumstances caused that. Fine. But then when the job opportunities came for him GT was the best he could do. If the industry believed he was a top 25 OC then his agent would have been getting calls from top 30 programs. The best Long could do was us. And if the industry agrees with you he’ll be a one and done at GT because we aren’t even close to top 50 let alone top 25.

I think Long will be better than PNode simply because he worked for Brian Kelly and I think my wife would be a better OC than PNode so that’s a low bar. But, I think way too many fans on this board are putting undue hope in Long. Long will not have a NFL OLine and 3 NFL TE’s to work with. I like a lot of our players but I have little faith that Collins can get out of the way. And my belief that Key is anything other than a yes man is gone.
You're talking as if the coaching industry is purely a meritocracy. There are plenty of highly qualified minority coaches who would tell you differently. Coaching acumen has something to do with it, but so does your connections. Not getting calls from top tier programs isn't indicative of your coaching ability. Look at guys like Tom Herman and Mark Helfrich who have coached at top programs and had success, yet they are currently without jobs.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
We are going to Double our win total this year at least. 6, maybe even 7 wins. We have paid our dues for this crap hire and failed experiment, time to make a little lemon-aid. The fans are going to start coming together now that that we know coaching is more important than recruiting. (Not saying recruting is not important) but coaching is 10X more important. I feel like we have some good coaches as long as CGC does not find a way to mess things up. CGC needs to do his thing and let the real coaches coach.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You're talking as if the coaching industry is purely a meritocracy. There are plenty of highly qualified minority coaches who would tell you differently. Coaching acumen has something to do with it, but so does your connections. Not getting calls from top tier programs isn't indicative of your coaching ability. Look at guys like Tom Herman and Mark Helfrich who have coached at top programs and had success, yet they are currently without jobs.
Tom Herman could have a number of jobs if he wanted. Rumor for now he is that he is enjoying working as an analyst in the NFL while still being paid 6+ million a year by Texas.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Plenty of teams wanted Long when he had top 10 offenses at Notre Dame. Just like Auburn wanted PJ after winning the orange Bowl at Tech and not so much after going 3-9. I love PJ so no disrespect in the last comment it’s just how it is in the coaching ranks. Long interviewed with Bama in 2019

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Plenty of teams wanted Long when he had top 10 offenses at Notre Dame. Just like Auburn wanted PJ after winning the orange Bowl at Tech and not so much after going 3-9. I love PJ so no disrespect in the last comment it’s just how it is in the coaching ranks. Long interviewed with Bama in 2019

That's a big reason a lot of coaches make a move to a bigger program after a big win season. Rhule is a good example but he is struggling in the pros.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
We are going to Double our win total this year at least. 6, maybe even 7 wins. We have paid our dues for this crap hire and failed experiment, time to make a little lemon-aid. The fans are going to start coming together now that that we know coaching is more important than recruiting. (Not saying recruting is not important) but coaching is 10X more important. I feel like we have some good coaches as long as CGC does not find a way to mess things up. CGC needs to do his thing and let the real coaches coach.
I think you’re right and I agree on coaching vs recruiting but I think this debate is as heated as politics. People have already made up their minds and they are just looking for supporting evidence. They’ll unite behind getting rid of the guy who isn’t delivering but will immediately revert to the notion that “he just wasn’t doing the important part right.... it’s STILL the most important part.”
Obviously you have to have talent to compete. Being equal or superior in talent doesn’t mean much if its ill conceived or unprepared.
The only way to stop the debate and unite the fans is to win!
;)

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck

Then Bama hired Sarkisian, who was probably more sought after at the time.

This article talks about why Long was let go from ND: https://irish.nbcsports.com/2019/12/12/notre-dame-brian-kelly-fire-chip-long/

So then, he looked for a job late in December, and ended up at UTenn as an OA. Then got the OC role at Tulane, pretty big jump back after not OC'ing for a year. Now he's with us. I'm sure there are a lot of teams that would have liked to have landed him

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Then Bama hired Sarkisian, who was probably more sought after at the time.

This article talks about why Long was let go from ND: https://irish.nbcsports.com/2019/12/12/notre-dame-brian-kelly-fire-chip-long/

So then, he looked for a job late in December, and ended up at UTenn as an OA. Then got the OC role at Tulane, pretty big jump back after not OC'ing for a year. Now he's with us. I'm sure there are a lot of teams that would have liked to have landed him
There's not really any evidence of that being true. What other teams were after him that we beat out? More realistically we were probably the best offer he could get a year after Tulane was the best offer he could get. I think he is better than our previous OC, but the efforts here to brand him as one of the best OCs in college football that we were super lucky to get are kind of foolish. He was once seemingly at that level but his career took a pretty sharp downturn for whatever reason. Here's hoping he reverses the trend.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
He took a chance to come to GT.
Ehh, not really. He has been floundering for a few years, including at Tulane. He's probably better than his last two stops at UT and Tulane would suggest, but probably not going to give us the Notre Dame level offenses that everyone seems to be basing this "head coach tryout" nonsense on either. IOW, it's never as good or as bad as it seems.