ACC - Odds to Win Conference 2021

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask you this. If we improve our national standings a small amount in nearly all phases of the game, showing clear statistical improvement, yet we go 3-9 with 30+ point losses to Clemson and UGA, would you consider that a successful season?
That's a fair question and I honestly don't know the answer. Probably not. But it would depend on what the team looked like in the games we lost and won. If there were 3 other games on there that we should have won but had a bad break or two such as key injuries that tilted a game here and there then that might influence how I evaluated the season. Also let's say we go into the UGA game and we have a rash of injuries to our DL and OL but we play hard from start to finish, keep it close for a little while, but then get outmanned then I might not look at that as an indication of failure as much as an issue of enough quality and experienced depth to hang with a team that is filled with future NFL players.

So to recap. I likely would not call that a successful season but I'd also need to look at the circumstances before I rendered a final opinion.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It's way too early to have expectations about wins and losses. Absolutely time to have expectations about how the team looks on the field and how they've progressed since last year.
Hmmmmm. Seems a lot like "accepting mediocrity" to me.

But, yes, looking more like a team on the field and winning a few more games would be an improvement.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Let me ask you this. If we improve our national standings a small amount in nearly all phases of the game, showing clear statistical improvement, yet we go 3-9 with 30+ point losses to Clemson and UGA, would you consider that a successful season?
This means we probably only have 1 ACC win. This will not be a successful season. There better be other circumstances around this such as a rash of injuries to key players.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Nearly all major offensive statistics improved 50% last year. We took 7 great transfers in huge areas of need, such as kicker and defensive line. Playing 0.500 ball even with our schedule wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

I don’t give a **** what others say - they predict 3 and 4 wins almost every year.
Last year I predicted we would win 6 and we won half of that. This year I am staying with my prediction of 4. IIWII

Deleted member 2897

Last year I predicted we would win 6 and we won half of that. This year I am staying with my prediction of 4. IIWII

You were close. We were within 1 score in the 4th quarter in 70% of our games. There was no way to predict we’d miss 20 points of kicks and some of the other crap that happened.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so question. Purely hypothetical, Let's say we win 5 this year, jump to 7 in year 4 win 8 in year 5 and drop back to 7 or 6 in year 6. During this period we do not beat either Clemson or UGA. What happens in year 7? is it time to change coaches? We will have not achieved what CPJ did but basically did what Chan did.
Right now Chan may not be such a bad thing.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Nope. Another 3 win season will almost certainly begin to affect recruiting. A "Bull Gator" (don't ask) once told me that the one thing ADs fear above all else is not the media criticism, nor is it fans burning up the talk shows and forums such as this, nor is it even boos and bags over fans' heads it is APATHY. Empty seats, and no one caring enough to even get mad. At that point, you are in Vanderbilt or Tulane territory and a afterthought to rivals, the national media and recruits.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so question. Purely hypothetical, Let's say we win 5 this year, jump to 7 in year 4 win 8 in year 5 and drop back to 7 or 6 in year 6. During this period we do not beat either Clemson or UGA. What happens in year 7? is it time to change coaches? We will have not achieved what CPJ did but basically did what Chan did.
Well, that’s a very real possibility because that’s basically what GT is regarding football. Until we invest real competitive money into it we are what you describe. I’ve accepted that years ago which is why I loved the Johnson hire and why I like the Collins hire. Trying something different at least shows someone is putting some thought into the program. I’d rather do that than become like 60% of programs and just go decade after decade going with the flow and living with mediocrity. Think NC State, Kentucky, South Carolina types. Johnson did it his way and we had some fun seasons and some fun wins. But the model was just too inconsistent (I still believe if we get Johnson a decade earlier he could have gotten established and counter acted the TO negative recruiting/media bias). I believe Collins has the best methodology to bring GT back in this day and age. I don’t agree with it but today’s world isn’t about hard work and tough love, it’s about catering to egos and telling everyone how great they are. I think Collins is a perfect guy to stroke egos and get us players.

Deleted member 2897

Just stumbled across this gem. This is the type of bull**** that made me quit that site years ago. What kind of fan site has their own writers troll their own teams? What an explosion of fecal matter that site is.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Was that before or after we changed to a 10-game ACC schedule? Was that before or after we had a 3-week hiatus? Was that before or after we lost one of our scheduled games? Last year was a scrimmage year. Nothing should be gleaned from the outcome of last year except that we were a young team learning to get better.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Was that before or after we changed to a 10-game ACC schedule? Was that before or after we had a 3-week hiatus? Was that before or after we lost one of our scheduled games? Last year was a scrimmage year. Nothing should be gleaned from the outcome of last year except that we were a young team learning to get better.
I don't doubt that every team with a record similar to ours last year felt the same.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just stumbled across this gem. This is the type of bull**** that made me quit that site years ago. What kind of fan site has their own writers troll their own teams? What an explosion of fecal matter that site is.

I read through it. Was it critical and perhaps harsh? yes. But it was hard to argue with anything the writer said and I thought the concluding paragraph was spot on. The TL,DR read version - It essentially said what many others have said here....we need to look much better overall this year in terms of penalties, TO's, mental errors, etc. That is controllable.

Deleted member 2897

I read through it. Was it critical and perhaps harsh? yes. But it was hard to argue with anything the writer said and I thought the concluding paragraph was spot on. The TL,DR read version - It essentially said what many others have said here....we need to look much better overall this year in terms of penalties, TO's, mental errors, etc. That is controllable.

It is fine as a comment on a page or as part of a discussion. But by a lead author of a site to just cherry pick nothing but negatives and to never mention anything positive (there were a lot of improved stats last year too) is just creepy. I kept waiting for the bright side and there wasn’t any, the article just ended.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It is fine as a comment on a page or as part of a discussion. But by a lead author of a site to just cherry pick nothing but negatives and to never mention anything positive (there were a lot of improved stats last year too) is just creepy. I kept waiting for the bright side and there wasn’t any, the article just ended.

It's an opinion piece labeled as such during a week where the site prints various opinions. Not all opinions are rosy...

Deleted member 2897

Welcome to the state of the program.

That's just unnecessarily negative. There are certainly plenty of bad stats to point out from last year - defensive efficiency, penalties, turnovers, kicking.

But there's also a lot of positives:
Offensive Yardage: Up 35%
QB comp %: Up 22%
QB yards: Up 27%
QB total TDs: Up 40%
Yards per rush: Up 15%

We return the top 5 rushers.
We return 5 of the top 7 receivers.
We return 14 of the top 17 tacklers on defense.

We filled tremendous areas of need in the transfer portal, including:
1) The #2 receiver from Northwestern with 4 years of experience.
2) 2 talented offensive linemen in Devin Cochran (32 games played and pre-season all-SEC in 2019) and Nick Pendley
3) One of the nations leaders in tackles-for-loss in Keion White
4) High 3-star LB Ayinde Eley from Maryland, who with 79 tackles would have been 1 tackle out of 2nd place on Georgia Tech's team.
5) 4-star LB Kevin Harris from Alabama
6) High 4-star DB Kenyatta Watson from Texas
7) 4-year Kicker Brent Cimaglia from Tennessee - a career 74% kicker. Never missed a kick under 30 yards. 85% career inside 40 yards.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That's just unnecessarily negative. There are certainly plenty of bad stats to point out from last year - defensive efficiency, penalties, turnovers, kicking.

2) 2 talented offensive linemen in Devin Cochran (32 games played and pre-season all-SEC in 2019) and Nick Pendley
4) High 3-star LB Ayinde Eley from Maryland, who with 79 tackles would have been 1 tackle out of 2nd place on Georgia Tech's team.
7) 4-year Kicker Brent Cimaglia from Tennessee - a career 74% kicker. Never missed a kick under 30 yards. 85% career inside 40 yards.
I think you left off a OL transfer- Kenneth Kirby

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

When you are 95th in the NCAA in PPG, then offensive scoring up 50% isn't really much to crow about. Those offensive stats, other than yards per rush, had nowhere to go but up anyways.

Returning the top rushers is huge, but the top receivers stat is still questionable. Gibbs was our second best receiver in terms of yds (and our top returning receiver) and having him back is a plus, but it speaks to the fact that we need a WR to step up and claim that #1 spot. As for defense, I'd like to believe we will be better. We can't get much worse there.

Your bottom paragraph I largely agree with. There are some good players coming in. Hopefully they can assimilate quickly and their production can push us over the hump this year.