ACC - Odds to Win Conference 2021

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Better question is 7 wins, with big losses to uga and Clemson or 4 wins and a victory over uga.
Depends on if your question is better for the program or better for me personally. For the program 7 wins with a big losses to ugag and Clemson is the best, no question!

However, I have a very unhealthy hatred of the school 74 miles to the east of Atlanta, so personally I would prefer the latter. 🤷

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Depends on if your question is better for the program or better for me personally. For the program 7 wins with a big losses to ugag and Clemson is the best, no question!

However, I have a very unhealthy hatred of the school 74 miles to the east of Atlanta, so personally I would prefer the latter. 🤷
IF the timelien of 4 wins with one being UGA has to happen... i hope it keeps UGA out of a playoff just to throw salt on it.

Deleted member 2897

Sounds about right. Tough to say, the truth, but; where has GT showed any vast improvements, to debunk this? I am sitting here "hoping" we win 6 games, this coming season. I think outside our fanbase, most folks are giving us 4 wins, maybe 5.....

Nearly all major offensive statistics improved 50% last year. We took 7 great transfers in huge areas of need, such as kicker and defensive line. Playing 0.500 ball even with our schedule wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

I don’t give a **** what others say - they predict 3 and 4 wins almost every year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Nearly all major offensive statistics improved 50% last year. We took 7 great transfers in huge areas of need, such as kicker and defensive line. Playing 0.500 ball even with our schedule wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

I don’t give a **** what others say - they predict 3 and 4 wins almost every year.

For two years in a row they've been right...

To the core of your argument you are correct. While we were vastly improved in most areas (offensively) last year, we were hurt somewhat because of three major factors: our defense, special teams, and almost DOUBLING our penalties per game. I think we all expected another growing year with the offense, but the regression on defense was startling considering we have a former DC as a HC. ST will undoubtedly be better with the addition of a tested K to the roster, and I doubt the defense will continue to hemorrhage like last year. The real question will be whether we see continued offensive growth at the same pace as last year. If so, then it's very possible this could be the breakthrough year. That's my hope. I can honestly see us winning 6-7 games this year, if everything goes right. The problem is that things rarely ever break 100% in any teams direction. With the teams we are playing and the continued growth needed, I think we are most likely going to win 5 games this year and be primed for the explosion into 2022. 3 wins would be absolute floor if things break in a wrong direction. (Injuries, etc...) I just don't want to see pitchforks out for CGC if we only win 4-5 this year as I think he's just about ready to turn the corner. If 2021 isn't the year, then 2022 will be.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I just don't want to see pitchforks out for CGC if we only win 4-5 this year as I think he's just about ready to turn the corner. If 2021 isn't the year, then 2022 will be.
if he doesn't want to see the pitchforks if we only win 4or 5 game then he better take a serious look at the assistant coaches and make the changes he needs to make. if not then it's all on him.

Deleted member 2897

To the core of your argument you are correct. While we were vastly improved in most areas (offensively) last year, we were hurt somewhat because of three major factors: our defense, special teams, and almost DOUBLING our penalties per game. I think we all expected another growing year with the offense, but the regression on defense was startling considering we have a former DC as a HC. ST will undoubtedly be better with the addition of a tested K to the roster, and I doubt the defense will continue to hemorrhage like last year. The real question will be whether we see continued offensive growth at the same pace as last year. If so, then it's very possible this could be the breakthrough year. That's my hope. I can honestly see us winning 6-7 games this year, if everything goes right. The problem is that things rarely ever break 100% in any teams direction. With the teams we are playing and the continued growth needed, I think we are most likely going to win 5 games this year and be primed for the explosion into 2022. 3 wins would be absolute floor if things break in a wrong direction. (Injuries, etc...) I just don't want to see pitchforks out for CGC if we only win 4-5 this year as I think he's just about ready to turn the corner. If 2021 isn't the year, then 2022 will be.

Broken clocks are right twice a day. Three times during daylight savings changeover.

BTW they weren't right last year. Most people picked us to finish dead last in the ACC, predicting us to go 0-10. Then we won our first game...on the road. OOPS. Then we won 2 more conference games. OOPS. We were within 1 score in the 4th quarter in like 4 other games. We have only finished last in the ACC once in the last almost 30 years. Duke finishes last half the time. LOLOL Why not pick them? Because these predictors are ****ty dickholes.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Broken clocks are right twice a day. Three times during daylight savings changeover.

BTW they weren't right last year. Most people picked us to finish dead last in the ACC, predicting us to go 0-10. Then we won our first game...on the road. OOPS. Then we won 2 more conference games. OOPS. We were within 1 score in the 4th quarter in like 4 other games. We have only finished last in the ACC once in the last almost 30 years. Duke finishes last half the time. LOLOL Why not pick them? Because these predictors are ****ty dickholes.

Semantics. They were right that we would lose a lot of games. They were wrong that FSU would crap the bed. And I don't recall "most people" picking us to go 0-10. I do recall Vegas picking our win total at 3.83 and 247 picked us to finish middle of the pack in the Coastal. Not sure why you die on this hill every year...

Vegas has released their new projected win totals for the ACC. Would you know it, we aren't last!!!

This is based off of the 10 game conference schedule. Not including the +1 game.

Syracuse, BC, WF, and MIAMI are behind us! I've heard a lot of hype with Miami, but I'm guessing this number is based on they expect Miami to have some covid issues??? I'm an avid sports gambler and love tracking how vegas views us. Last year they were dead on opening at 4.5 wins and moving to 3.5 wins. Last year we didn't cover 3.5 and this year I think we add a win or two. Id take anything 3.5 and under for us.

Miami at 3.5 wins sounds like free money, but they know something I don't. Clearly... View attachment 8818

1621345949484.png

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Semantics. They were right that we would lose a lot of games. They were wrong that FSU would crap the bed. And I don't recall "most people" picking us to go 0-10. I do recall Vegas picking our win total at 3.83 and 247 picked us to finish middle of the pack in the Coastal. Not sure why you die on this hill every year...

View attachment 10552
how In the hell do they think Pitt and UVA are worse than Duke? And that VT is better than Miami?

honestly aside from Clemson the ACC is wide-open, any of those teams are very beatable by any of the others on any given day. Forgive me if I don’t buy the UNC hype.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
how In the hell do they think Pitt and UVA are worse than Duke? And that VT is better than Miami?

honestly aside from Clemson the ACC is wide-open, any of those teams are very beatable by any of the others on any given day. Forgive me if I don’t buy the UNC hype.

These were the predictions for 2020.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
if he doesn't want to see the pitchforks if we only win 4or 5 game then he better take a serious look at the assistant coaches and make the changes he needs to make. if not then it's all on him.
LOL! I preface this with the fact that I don't know you personally, so I can't swear to this, but, I'd bet if he only won 4 games this year, if you saw him on the street, you'd tell him how glad you are to meet him and that you're 100% behind the team. I doubt most grumblers would actually have the balls to tell him to do better straight to his face.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

You are correct. I predicted 4 wins last year thinking we would be better on defense.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
LOL! I preface this with the fact that I don't know you personally, so I can't swear to this, but, I'd bet if he only won 4 games this year, if you saw him on the street, you'd tell him how glad you are to meet him and that you're 100% behind the team. I doubt most grumblers would actually have the balls to tell him to do better straight to his face.
I don't know. Bill Battle woke up one morning after losing to Alabama...again and saw a moving van parked outside. Alabama fans were not quite so clever with Ray Perkins he had a rock chucked through his office window. The worst any Tech coach had to endure was probably Chan's public service announcement that got roundly booed. I was out of state during the Bill Lewis years so I don't know about any improprieties then. I was here during the Bill Curry years and about the only thing I remember was a lot of empty seats and people turning their heads in embarrassment. Pepper probably got people riled up as he was extremely divisive sort of fellow. A lot of the alumni could not stand him. Could be worse. The joke among my Florida friends is that the perfect season for many Gator faithful is to go 12-0, beat Notre Dame in the national championship and fire the coach under the goal posts after the game. The first coach to have a "fire coach's name" site was the immortal Ron Zook in the early 2000s at UF. I think it went up before the first game. IIWII a rough way to make a living.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
To start with I didn't hire him and I don't pay him so he would not give 2 sh*ts about how I feel. I really don't think if I saw him I would speak to him , but you are right about me being 100% behind the team just like I was when B** L**** was here just didn't want him here, Don't read something in what I say. I'm am right now 100% behind CGC all I said was if we only win 4 or 5 games next year that he needs to look at his coaches, If he didn't then it's on him and if we had a bad season in year 4 I would feel about him like I did about B** L****. but I would still be 100% behind the players, You don't get season ticket since 1981 because of a coach all coaches come and go.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I meant my previous comment to be lighthearted, not attacking. Need to include more emojis. You’re generally one to keep it light in here, so I wasn’t trying to be that way.
I don't know. Bill Battle woke up one morning after losing to Alabama...again and saw a moving van parked outside. Alabama fans were not quite so clever with Ray Perkins he had a rock chucked through his office window. The worst any Tech coach had to endure was probably Chan's public service announcement that got roundly booed. I was out of state during the Bill Lewis years so I don't know about any improprieties then. I was here during the Bill Curry years and about the only thing I remember was a lot of empty seats and people turning their heads in embarrassment. Pepper probably got people riled up as he was extremely divisive sort of fellow. A lot of the alumni could not stand him. Could be worse. The joke among my Florida friends is that the perfect season for many Gator faithful is to go 12-0, beat Notre Dame in the national championship and fire the coach under the goal posts after the game. The first coach to have a "fire coach's name" site was the immortal Ron Zook in the early 2000s at UF. I think it went up before the first game. IIWII a rough way to make a living.
I understand all of this. I was merely pointing out that we puff our chest out a lot on this site and say "If X doesn't happen, then Y will," or "Coach better win X games this year, or else!" My point is there really is no "or else" until it becomes really bad, and Year 3 / Year 4 in this instance is not that bad.

AND, I really wasn't jumping on @stech81 as it came across because he is usually very lighthearted about his comments on here.