ACC - Odds to Win Conference 2021

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Huge CGC fan but if we don’t go bowling this season, I am off the CGC train.

I get that we won’t hang with Clemson, ugh, NC but all others should be winnable or at least very competitive.

everybody is complaining about the vanilla spring game. I’m glad it was vanilla with no injuries
Not sure if you meant ND or if you really meant NC, either way, both of those will be tough games. That’s 4 that are very tough.

I could see is drop a 1 or 2 games because of our own mistakes, we’re still very young. Then hang with Clemson, ugh, ND, and UNC but still lose. Might miss a bowl but a clear improvement. That’s the only scenario I stay on the CGC train without a bowl.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The question was what are our odds of wining the Coastal. I said at best 50-1 and likely much worse. My point is we will lose to Clemson near certainly and be heavy underdogs to UNC and Miami who were both much better than we were last year and both are returning excellent QBs with a wealth of talent around them. If we win 5-7 games our odds of winning the Coastal Division are zero. If you disagree let me know how we will win 6 conference games with our schedule. Likely we will be favored against Duke and range from 14-5 point underdogs against the rest. Basically to win the Coastal Division we would need to win at least 6 Conference games. Well there are 3 losses staring us in the face. 50-1 is generous.
You see, we play the games, then we count those games we score fewer points as losses and those games we score more points as wins. Until we play those games, we don't count any games as losses. See how that works?

The great thing is it doesn't matter if your favored or the underdog before the game. If you score more points, you're the winner.

GTBlaze

Banned
Not sure if you meant ND or if you really meant NC, either way, both of those will be tough games. That’s 4 that are very tough.

I could see is drop a 1 or 2 games because of our own mistakes, we’re still very young. Then hang with Clemson, ugh, ND, and UNC but still lose. Might miss a bowl but a clear improvement. That’s the only scenario I stay on the CGC train without a bowl.
damn.. i did leave out ND - Thanks for killin' my BUUZZZ

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It would not be the first time for either of them, the problem is that there is a very real possibility that Tech will struggle mightily as well.
Call me an optimist but I think we make marked improvement on both sides of the ball this season. Our QB has a year under his belt and we have upgraded the OL- I believe our passing game will come alive this year. On def we’ve upgraded some positions and have depth and our young players have more experience. I still expect to lose to CU, UG, and ND (I hope we are more competitive though).....UNC and UM are tough but we could steal one maybe? The rest are very winnable.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You see, we play the games, then we count those games we score fewer points as losses and those games we score more points as wins. Until we play those games, we don't count any games as losses. See how that works?

The great thing is it doesn't matter if your favored or the underdog before the game. If you score more points, you're the winner.
The question was what were the odds of winning the Coastal Division. To place odds you actually have to do that before the games are played. That is a fairly simple concept and the point of the post. Placing odds after games are plaid would be really stupid don't you agree!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Not saying you’re wrong in this case but gamblers who win big don’t do so by picking the winner of Alabama vs Mercer. They win big by picking a 3 win team to then win the division the next year. The hidden secret is that you always lose more times than you win, but just try to win more money than you lose. That’s where odds come in and is the subject of this thread.
Feel free to place a small bet at 50-1 odds on GT winning the Coastal Division. If you can afford the loss you could get very lucky and win big. Just expect to lose the money. Nothing wrong with making a few long shot bets as long as you can afford all the losses. 50-1 rarely pays off.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
The question was what were the odds of winning the Coastal Division. To place odds you actually have to do that before the games are played. That is a fairly simple concept and the point of the post. Placing odds after games are plaid would be really stupid don't you agree!
Sorry, just love spotting the irony. Ignore my post!
Dj Khaled Congratulations GIF

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Right. No problem with the odds. Problem was with what I highlighted only. Before the season starts, I am the ultimate optimist. Until we lose a game, I won't concede it. Realistically, I expect us to play much cleaner than we did last year, and that will account for at least 3 additional regular-season wins. I expect us to be better and that will account for 3 additional regular-season wins. I expect us to surprise two teams and catch them looking past us, which will account for 2 additional regular-season wins. I expect that correctional facility NE of Atlanta to fall apart by the end of the season accounting for another regular-season win. After that, we just punch the rest of the teams we play in the mouth and outrun them.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Right. No problem with the odds. Problem was with what I highlighted only. Before the season starts, I am the ultimate optimist. Until we lose a game, I won't concede it. Realistically, I expect us to play much cleaner than we did last year, and that will account for at least 3 additional regular-season wins. I expect us to be better and that will account for 3 additional regular-season wins. I expect us to surprise two teams and catch them looking past us, which will account for 2 additional regular-season wins. I expect that correctional facility NE of Atlanta to fall apart by the end of the season accounting for another regular-season win. After that, we just punch the rest of the teams we play in the mouth and outrun them.
That would be great. Hope it happens.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
We should almost definitely be better next year. We didn't lose many players from last year, and where we did, we should have equal or better replacements talent-wise. And everyone gained a year of experience, and they will finally have had a full offseason together that didn't involve a monumental transition(TM) or an outbreak of a global pandemic. I would be surprised and really disappointed if we came out looking like the last 2 years. To win the Coastal, I think the UNC game will be a must-win, which I think is doable with the amount of reloading they have to do. UNC lost to FSU and Virginia last year with their 2 drafted RBs and 2 drafted WRs.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Call me an optimist but I think we make marked improvement on both sides of the ball this season. Our QB has a year under his belt and we have upgraded the OL- I believe our passing game will come alive this year. On def we’ve upgraded some positions and have depth and our young players have more experience. I still expect to lose to CU, UG, and ND (I hope we are more competitive though).....UNC and UM are tough but we could steal one maybe? The rest are very winnable.
I love your optimism...unfortunately, I do not share it but willing to be convinced by what I see on the field. So persuade me, I am gullible. As you posted, "The rest are very winnable" They are also loseable sic.

Jmonty71

Banned
Opening odds to win power five conferences were released this week by BetOnline.

ACC:
Clemson 1/8
North Carolina 15/2
Miami Florida 8/1
Florida State 25/1
Louisville 33/1
Virginia Tech 33/1
Wake Forest 33/1
Pittsburgh 40/1
Boston College 50/1
Georgia Tech 50/1
NC State 50/1
Virginia 50/1
Duke 200/1
Syracuse 200/1
Sounds about right. Tough to say, the truth, but; where has GT showed any vast improvements, to debunk this? I am sitting here "hoping" we win 6 games, this coming season. I think outside our fanbase, most folks are giving us 4 wins, maybe 5.....

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Sounds about right. Tough to say, the truth, but; where has GT showed any vast improvements, to debunk this? I am sitting here "hoping" we win 6 games, this coming season. I think outside our fanbase, most folks are giving us 4 wins, maybe 5.....
With our schedule, that sounds about right. We can still be a better team though. But if we aren't 9-3 this fall, there's a group that will be on the attack going after Collins every week

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Real questions, not snark.

What type of offense would you like to see us move to? I thought this was the RPO offense that seems to be really popular now. I get not liking the play calling, but does that include changing the offense. Does changing the offense include the blocking schemes? Just allignment? Reads? I'm interested in what you think will make us a better team.
What matters is what plays are called and when. Do we run plays to set up bigger plays later in the game. Do we change blocking schemes but run same or similar looking plays to confuse the defense. I always liked to watch Lou Holtz run an offense. He was actually a pretty darn good magician. Probably why he liked to incorporate deception in his offense.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
With our schedule, that sounds about right. We can still be a better team though. But if we aren't 9-3 this fall, there's a group that will be on the attack going after Collins every week
You are probably right but to ask this team which has won 3 games each of the past two seasons to magically triple the win total is a bit much. I think 6 wins a bowl invitation is a realistic goal to shoot for but fully expect us to win about 4.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Truthfully its about how we are losing. If we are losign one posession or even 2 possession games in them until the last bit and we get 6 wins? nah we'll have seen improvement if we are losing by 30 constantly agian. Yeah.

One thing that made 2015 bearable was outside of 2 games we were in every single one including the dwags.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
What matters is what plays are called and when. Do we run plays to set up bigger plays later in the game. Do we change blocking schemes but run same or similar looking plays to confuse the defense. I always liked to watch Lou Holtz run an offense. He was actually a pretty darn good magician. Probably why he liked to incorporate deception in his offense.
Holtz was also very deceptive in recruiting too! If I remember correctly he was the only ND coch to get them plced on probation;)

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
So say we win 7 games this year but get beat by 60 again to Clemson and 40 to UGA. Is that better than winning 4 or 5 games and only losing every game by less than 20?