ACC Football Kickoff

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Griffin hasn't even played a game at guard, was injured all last year...and somehow he's going to jump Bryan (who's probably our best technician on the OL) and Shamire (easily our most physically gifted OL in the last decade) at guard? The last time Griffin saw action was at OT two years ago. Our fans sure love to just jump guys over experienced vets for some reason.

Griffin has great size, but he's got some things work on physically. I think he'll either be "next man" at guard, or return to OT where we lost both starters from last season. Our OL has a history of injuries, so our 2 deep is going to get more than their share of snaps throughout the season.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Griffin hasn't even played a game at guard, was injured all last year...and somehow he's going to jump Bryan (who's probably our best technician on the OL) and Shamire (easily our most physically gifted OL in the last decade) at guard? The last time Griffin saw action was at OT two years ago. Our fans sure love to just jump guys over experienced vets for some reason.

Griffin has great size, but he's got some things work on physically. I think he'll either be "next man" at guard, or return to OT where we lost both starters from last season. Our OL has a history of injuries, so our 2 deep is going to get more than their share of snaps throughout the season.

You're wrong.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Having read over several threads in various sub forums on here, I think a certain someone is doing a summer hit and run trolling to get a rise out of people.

Don't do it, folks...

Chris sat out last year, but was slotted as starting RG by coaches in the Spring before it became clear that he hadn't fully recovered.

So, it's not like "some fans" are being unreasonable. It's not "jumping" when it's returning to a pre injury (albeit only in practice) position.

I'm sympathetic to your opinion, but a person can state their opinion without creating a straw man argument to attack the opinion of others. When you do that, you're wrong.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Chris sat out last year, but was slotted as starting RG by coaches in the Spring before it became clear that he hadn't fully recovered.

So, it's not like "some fans" are being unreasonable. It's not "jumping" when it's returning to a pre injury (albeit only in practice) position.

I'm sympathetic to your opinion, but a person can state their opinion without creating a straw man argument to attack the opinion of others. When you do that, you're wrong.

My point still stands. Griffin hasn't seen a real snap at OG, yet somehow he's going to jump two guys with experience there?

Coaches "slot" guys at places they never end up playing in all the time. Qua Searcy was "slotted" to play WR...Christian Campbell was "slotted" to play QB...Marcus Allen was "slotted" to play BB, then LB, then back to BB...Chris Milton and Jemea Thomas were both "slotted" to play AB....I could go on with this.

If you're going to say "You're wrong", you may want to expound on why a poster is wrong (ironically, something you get on other posters for). Otherwise, it just appears you're just doing what you're doing in other threads...making it look like you're just trying to get a rise out of people with your hit and run posts.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My point still stands. Griffin hasn't seen a real snap at OG, yet somehow he's going to jump two guys with experience there?

Coaches "slot" guys at places they never end up playing in all the time. Qua Searcy was "slotted" to play WR...Christian Campbell was "slotted" to play QB...Marcus Allen was "slotted" to play BB, then LB, then back to BB...Chris Milton and Jemea Thomas were both "slotted" to play AB....I could go on with this.

If you're going to say "You're wrong", you may want to expound on why a poster is wrong (ironically, something you get on other posters for). Otherwise, it just appears you're just doing what you're doing in other threads...making it look like you're just trying to get a rise out of people with your hit and run posts.

Why do you say "somehow" as if it's a crazy idea when it looked to be the actual plan in the Spring? Before his injury, Chris was one of our best and most versatile OL.

Will played Tackle, not guard last year. He was moved to guard during the Spring because of injuries. Chris was ahead of both him and Shamire on the depth chart. That's what I meant about slot, not your straw man hand wave.

Listen, don't get me wrong. I'll be surprised if Chris ends up healthy enough to play. I'm also willing to eat crow because I wasn't sure Shamire would get in shape like it seems he has. As I said before, I'm sympathetic to your opinion of how things turn out.

I think you're wrong in your characterization of Chris as so low on the depth chart that it'd be unheard of for him to end up a starter.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Why do you say "somehow" as if it's a crazy idea when it looked to be the actual plan in the Spring? Before his injury, Chris was one of our best and most versatile OL.

Will played Tackle, not guard last year. He was moved to guard during the Spring because of injuries. Chris was ahead of both him and Shamire on the depth chart. That's what I meant about slot, not your straw man hand wave.

Listen, don't get me wrong. I'll be surprised if Chris ends up healthy enough to play. I'm also willing to eat crow because I wasn't sure Shamire would get in shape like it seems he has. As I said before, I'm sympathetic to your opinion of how things turn out.

I think you're wrong in your characterization of Chris as so low on the depth chart that it'd be unheard of for him to end up a starter.

LOL

I have nothing against your logic on Chris. He was a very promising player before injuries. But that's ex post facto to your original reply.

I just have issues with your tact. You like to get on people for not explaining themselves, so when you just say "you're wrong"...you might want to explain yourself. Otherwise it just looks like your responses in several other threads lately.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
LOL

I have nothing against your logic on Chris. He was a very promising player before injuries. But that's ex post facto to your original reply.

I just have issues with your tact. You like to get on people for not explaining themselves, so when you just say "you're wrong"...you might want to explain yourself. Otherwise it just looks like your responses in several other threads lately.

Cool, so you admit you were wrong with your, "somehow he's going to jump" language to which I responded.

Yjacket82

Georgia Tech Fan
I would love for Mr. Griffin to be healed enough to jump, period. There are still some issues with that knee concerning pain and I just hope he makes it back onto the field. More so, I hope that the knee pain issue can be resolved enough so that it does not present problems for him post GT, whether he ever plays again or not.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Cool, so you admit you were wrong with your, "somehow he's going to jump" language to which I responded.
I admit you need to explain yourself and you should stop with the hit and run posts.
So how about this guys, coach will put the best 5 ol on the field and it could look like Bryan Devine and griffin all get on the field. I agree griffin will have to come in and prove himself, but we could have a line look like
LT Bryan or griffin
LG Bryan or griffin
C Burden
RG Devine
RT klock

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The State: Coastal schools don’t see ACC title as race between Clemson, FSU
“We’re 5-4 against Clemson and 3-2 against Florida State. What distance is that?” Johnson said. “If you watched the ACC championship game it’s not like they ran away and hid from North Carolina.

“There are good teams in both divisions is all I’m saying. I’m not trying to say Clemson and Florida State aren’t good teams and good programs because they are… But to make it like there’s nobody in our league that can compete with them is not true.”
A team with aspirations of mixing up the top of the ACC is Georgia Tech, despite Johnson’s club finishing 3-9 a year ago.

The Yellow Jackets lost six games by a touchdown or less but were able to upset Florida State at home and enter this year’s game against Clemson having not lost to the Tigers in Atlanta since 2003.

“It’s not like they’re winning by 50 points every game,” Yellow Jackets defensive lineman Patrick Gamble said of Clemson and FSU. “Those are the two perennial powers. OK. I like being on the outside looking in and not getting all of that attention because sometimes it’s better for it.”

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Today's U Sports: Georgia Tech QB Justin Thomas a year wiser for 2016
“Sometimes I felt I wasn’t doing enough,” Thomas said. “This year I’ve learned you can only do so much. You have to stay within the offense and make sure everyone knows what they’re doing. Our offense is like a machine. If one part is missing it’s not going to work.

“Two years ago our veterans had the fourth-quarter experience in crunch time. We didn’t have that last year. If something bad happened everybody hung their head. These guys know what it takes and how it feels to be in such situations now. They’ve gotten better for it.”

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Dwag site. No slant on this one, mainly quotes on UGA and ACC.
Georgia Tech on going up against Kirby Smart as UGA coach
The new dynamic, of course, for Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson is that for the first time in his nine seasons with the Yellow Jackets, the Georgia coach on the other sideline will be Kirby Smart. Johnson isn’t sure what that could mean for the rivalry.

“I have no idea, we’ll see,” Johnson said. “I’ll have a better idea in a couple of years I guess. They’re always going to have good players. The place recruits itself. That’s not going to change for sure. It will be interesting to see how they do. It would be hard to say until we watch them play.”

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So how about this guys, coach will put the best 5 ol on the field and it could look like Bryan Devine and griffin all get on the field. I agree griffin will have to come in and prove himself, but we could have a line look like
LT Bryan or griffin
LG Bryan or griffin
C Burden
RG Devine
RT klock
This. Am I the only one worried about Fromayan (the sausage king of Chicago) starting?