ACC Football Kickoff

Cam

Helluva Engineer

If true, that would answer the question on whether CJ was going to get the starting spot. It's tough for him. Came in with such promise and faced a clear starting roll for 2015. Injury just set him too far back. From a team perspective, we'll be fine given the depth there. But from an individual perspective, I'm sorry it turned out this way. I hope he does well wherever he transfers to.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
What depth do we have at B-Back? We really only have two guys who have played there, and Allen hasn't played much and seems to be injury prone. I would actually say we are thin there. I mean, we have bodies, but we had bodies last year too. Not trying to be negative, that's just how I see it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What depth do we have at B-Back? We really only have two guys who have played there, and Allen hasn't played much and seems to be injury prone. I would actually say we are thin there. I mean, we have bodies, but we had bodies last year too. Not trying to be negative, that's just how I see it.

The rumors are that Mills and Marshall are both the real deal with Q being solid as well, and Marcus Allen is good when healthy. We have reasons for not being anxious.

If Marshall comes through, and Allen does at least as good as he did last year (although hopefully better), we should be ok. Quaide should be a hoss too, although he has yet to sniff the field.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Word is mills might be the best player on the team, add that with another year under MM and Allen if healthy I would say we have good depth and potential we just have to see it come alive now. Plus we have Quaide who could be a bruiser type back.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Word is mills might be the best player on the team, add that with another year under MM and Allen if healthy I would say we have good depth and potential we just have to see it come alive now. Plus we have Quaide who could be a bruiser type back.

yep on Mills--how good are you when you come in as a HIGH SCHOOL PLAYER and stand out at Spring ball?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Hope for the best with Leggett.
Griffin playing would be huge. If he can start at RG that would be immense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Here's the transcript:
http://www.theacc.com/page/media_days_m-footbl_2016_live

CPJ didn't hear the question on Griffin and Whitley. He asked, did you ask about Chris Griffin, and then gave the answer printed.

Here's some answers that seem to reflect some positive spin for us:
Q. Take a look at the chemistry between Justin Thomas and the runningbacks you've had through the spring so far, what can you say about team chemistry offensively.
COACH JOHNSON: I think each year it's a work in progress. It starts probably in the off-season, then spring, then summer conditioning, fall camp. It's an ongoing deal.

Last year what people didn't realize, and two years ago we were really good on offense, I mean, really good. We lost two wide receivers to the NFL. We lost our top four slot backs. We lost our two runningbacks. We had seven injuries to the A backs in spring and fall camp. We lost our top two B backs coming in.

Justin was surrounded by guys who had never played. So the chemistry was not going to be that good. I looked on the field last year at Miami, the score was 7-7. We were in the start of the second quarter. We had the ball on their four yardline. I have nine freshmen playing offense. When that happens, it's tough to be successful in our league, on this level in general.

I think Justin will be a little more comfortable this year having some guys who have played. We're still going to be young in the skill positions. But fortunately those guys all played a year ago, so it's not going to be like they're totally starting brand-new.

I think that will make him a better player.

Q. On the defensive side of the ball, you had two freshmen that got some good reps last year. What do you expect from them this year?
[question actually mentioned Brant Mitchell and AJ Gray]
COACH JOHNSON: We had to play a lot of freshmen everywhere, especially over there. I thought that Brant Mitchell ended up being our starting inside linebacker. I expect he's going to really grow.

A.J. Gray probably had as good a spring as anybody on our football team. He was surviving last year on pure athleticism out there because he wasn't sure what he was doing as a true freshman playing safety. I think he's got the opportunity to be one of the all-time great players at Georgia Tech. If he can build off his spring, he had a tremendous spring, I think you'll be excited to watch him play this fall.

So we've probably got more depth than we've ever had, especially on defense. I feel like we've got probably eight guys we can play on the defensive line. We're going to be new in the secondary a little bit. But A.J. comes in at one safety that's played, and the other safety, they're competing right now, probably be Corey Griffin if we played today.

We got a couple of corners that transferred in, sat out last year. Overall I expect to be much better on defense than we were a year ago. Certainly hopeful.

By the way, this last paragraph is badly edited. He mentioned, iirc, "a couple corners," but then mentioned both a transfer in and Step Durham "who's played." It came off more as examples for hope rather than a top two or a limit at corner.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
123.PNG

Techster

Helluva Engineer
BB will be fine. M^2 will be the starter (and a good one with breakway speed), Allen is probably our best overall BB if he can stay on the field, and Mills is a stud in the making. QFro will be a solid BB with starter potential in the future. BB is the position I worry about the least on offense.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
BB will be fine. M^2 will be the starter (and a good one with breakway speed), Allen is probably our best overall BB if he can stay on the field, and Mills is a stud in the making. QFro will be a solid BB with starter potential in the future. BB is the position I worry about the least on offense.

I agree. And there is Benson. Swilling is also practice and emergency help.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
So is mills looking that good at BB? This and the news on Griffin is big time. Bryan and Griffin at the guard spots wow.