ACC Expansion

Who do you think the ACC should consider (assuming all would be willing to join)?

• West Virginia

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • South Carolina

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • Vanderbilt

Votes: 48 37.5%
  • UCF

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • East Carolina

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

Techfiend

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know how much of Philly even helps the footprint. Its all Eagles up there. They rather watch a 0 and 10 Eagles team over a 9-1 temple team.

It really doesn't matter if anyone actually watches, just how many homes are in the TV market for carriage fees. Rutgers brought a lot of $$ to the Big 10, and nobody in NJ gives 2 wet farts about watching them play football on TV.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I hope it’s a mute point, I don’t ever want to hear anybody talk about Cincinnati being considered for an ACC spot again. 🤓
I do. Screw academics. We need football schools. None that give GT any more issues recruiting Florida or GA. Give me Cincinnati. They are far and above the best option. New Market, has established rivalries with Pitt and Louisville. They have been a winning program the past decade and historically.
Gives us an IN for Ohio recruits. Gives a team that could possibly make the leap and be an elite team.

UCF should be blackballed by the SEC and ACC just due to recruiting issues. Their best chance is the BIG12. They belong in the BIG12 anyways offense and no defense.

What is extremely funny is Louisville and Cinn are TIED for 84th in academics in the US News and World report. NC State is 80th, Clemson 74th, VT is in the 70s as well... Academics should fit in okay. They may actually improve once they join the ACC.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
It really doesn't matter if anyone actually watches, just how many homes are in the TV market for carriage fees. Rutgers brought a lot of $$ to the Big 10, and nobody in NJ gives 2 wet farts about watching them play football on TV.
I get that, but Rutgers struggling with ticket sales, merchandise sales is across the board not good. You want successful programs with community buy in. Temple does alright, but they lack community buy in. In comparison Temple averages 27k fans a home game, while Cincinnati averages 36k and Cincinnati's attendance has grown the past couple years. Money means a lot, but I think a supported program means almost as much. If the program doesn't have the support they may not have a program for long or you will see a team that has 1-4 wins every year like Rutgers. Competitive teams also make money for the conference.

Simply put, I think the ROI is much better with an Ohio team with a strong fansbase over WVU, another Carolina team, or putting UCF in the ACC. UCF would KILL recruiting for florida state, miami, and even GT.

Deleted member 2897

I do. Screw academics. We need football schools. None that give GT any more issues recruiting Florida or GA. Give me Cincinnati. They are far and above the best option. New Market, has established rivalries with Pitt and Louisville. They have been a winning program the past decade and historically.
Gives us an IN for Ohio recruits. Gives a team that could possibly make the leap and be an elite team.

UCF should be blackballed by the SEC and ACC just due to recruiting issues. Their best chance is the BIG12. They belong in the BIG12 anyways offense and no defense.

What is extremely funny is Louisville and Cinn are TIED for 84th in academics in the US News and World report. NC State is 80th, Clemson 74th, VT is in the 70s as well... Academics should fit in okay. They may actually improve once they join the ACC.

Forbes ranks Louisville #431. I don’t know what category that US News list is ranking. I’m sure they’re decent at something.

Cincinnati is ranked over 300.

UCF has 70,000 CURRENT students. That’s about half of our entire living alumni. With their structure, they’re basically a huge third world money machine. I wouldn’t want to touch any of those. I’d rather take someone out of FCS like Georgetown who fits our academics, school size, and a good media market...and wants to move up in football but hasn’t found a conference to. Georgetown is a stretch, but that was the best illustration I could think of off the top of my head. Duke could finally stop finishing last for a couple years LOL.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Forbes ranks Louisville #431. I don’t know what category that US News list is ranking. I’m sure they’re decent at something.

Cincinnati is ranked over 300.

UCF has 70,000 CURRENT students. That’s about half of our entire living alumni. With their structure, they’re basically a huge third world money machine. I wouldn’t want to touch any of those. I’d rather take someone out of FCS like Georgetown who fits our academics, school size, and a good media market...and wants to move up in football but hasn’t found a conference to. Georgetown is a stretch, but that was the best illustration I could think of off the top of my head. Duke could finally stop finishing last for a couple years LOL.
Why would we take a team that cannot compete in the ACC? James Madison is the only one that could have a chance. But why so stuck on academics? Do we want to win football or study?
I want to win football. 80% of these kids aren't becoming scientists, or business leaders. Lets win football games.

Deleted member 2897

Why would we take a team that cannot compete in the ACC? James Madison is the only one that could have a chance. But why so stuck on academics? Do we want to win football or study?
I want to win football. 80% of these kids aren't becoming scientists, or business leaders. Lets win football games.

I don’t want a team that can’t compete at the P5 level. Why stuck on academics? Because that’s our brand at Georgia Tech and that’s the ACC’s brand. I don’t want us to become the cheating dirty full of stupid dropouts SEC. We can win and do college both at the same time.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I don’t want a team that can’t compete at the P5 level. Why stuck on academics? Because that’s our brand at Georgia Tech and that’s the ACC’s brand. I don’t want us to become the cheating dirty full of stupid dropouts SEC. We can win and do college both at the same time.
Lol can we? By adding Cincinnati that doesn't mean GTs academics go down.... jesus... you really look down on the SEC. I'd argue the ACCs former players on average make the same on average as the SEC in mid career salary. Actually SEC would be higher because they get kids to the NFL more often.

The academics mentality will always be there. But to dwell on it will quickly put GT out of the minor league NFL realm and into a goofy academics based league with the like Duke and Vandy.

I'm trying to build us back to our SEC glory days, I would leave my GT Fandom behind if we ever decided to stop competing with the big players. I want us to always push to compete with uga, bama, ohio state, florida. We belong in that category. That is where we come from. We simply push the academic mentality because we left the SEC which was arguably one of the biggest sports mistakes in sports history short of trading Babe Ruth.

If we stayed in the SEC we would have minimum 6 national championships. Possibly as many as 8 or 9.

We are finally trending back to the good days of a football centric school. My dream is in 10 years when people think GT they think football. Academics will not fail due to the footballs success. That thought process is nuts.

Deleted member 2897

Lol can we? By adding Cincinnati that doesn't mean GTs academics go down.... jesus... you really look down on the SEC. I'd argue the ACCs former players on average make the same on average as the SEC in mid career salary. Actually SEC would be higher because they get kids to the NFL more often.

The academics mentality will always be there. But to dwell on it will quickly put GT out of the minor league NFL realm and into a goofy academics based league with the like Duke and Vandy.

I'm trying to build us back to our SEC glory days, I would leave my GT Fandom behind if we ever decided to stop competing with the big players. I want us to always push to compete with uga, bama, ohio state, florida. We belong in that category. That is where we come from. We simply push the academic mentality because we left the SEC which was arguably one of the biggest sports mistakes in sports history short of trading Babe Ruth.

If we stayed in the SEC we would have minimum 6 national championships. Possibly as many as 8 or 9.

We are finally trending back to the good days of a football centric school. My dream is in 10 years when people think GT they think football. Academics will not fail due to the footballs success. That thought process is nuts.

That thought process is nuts. That’s not what I’m advocating. We can do both.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
LOL we got some day dreamers in here. SC and Vandy even being in the poll is funny.
Yes definitely a pipe dream, but the fit is good. I'd even say UF is a better fit than FSU or Miami when you factor academics as well as sports.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There was talk this summer about Notre Dame permanently joining the conference in football as a result of the ACC allowing them to compete as a member this season. If that were to happen the ACC will likely want another new member to join at the same time to balance the conference scheduling.
The ACC could solve any confusion by just giving Notre Dame the boot. All in or all out. Decide. ND is every year the most overrated team in the country. Yet the ACC allows them to cherry pick under the delusion it will encourage them to join. I want them out.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
The ACC could solve any confusion by just giving Notre Dame the boot. All in or all out. Decide. ND is every year the most overrated team in the country. Yet the ACC allows them to cherry pick under the delusion it will encourage them to join. I want them out.
No no no and just no. They are a money maker whether we like it or not. They significantly improve the brand. Jealousy over that school or their circumstance solves nothing.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I like the U of Houston play. They want a higher profile in football, and the ACC would be a step up. It expands ACC's footprint to the 4th largest city in the country. Pair it with Tulane and it's a natural. Or if you want a cupcake for the schedule, invite the rich kids at Rice to join and make it an H-town double!

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Six national championships since we left the SEC? Or six national championships total which would be two more championships than we currently have now?