ACC Discussion 2021-22

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The issue for Boeheim is that he has a really good class coming in, but it is not a class that is likely to lift the program by itself above .500. It will need time to develop.
If he wants to win this year he is going to have to get some help out of the portal.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The issue for Boeheim is that he has a really good class coming in, but it is not a class that is likely to lift the program by itself above .500. It will need time to develop.
If he wants to win this year he is going to have to get some help out of the portal.
Cuse has three recruits signed and commitments from three more. It will be tough to honor all those commitments and bring in significant help from the portal. They willl need to wear nametags during practice. And, none of the recruits is taller tha 6'6". It will be interesting.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Cuse has three recruits signed and commitments from three more. It will be tough to honor all those commitments and bring in significant help from the portal. They willl need to wear nametags during practice. And, none of the recruits is taller tha 6'6". It will be interesting.
Your recruiting info is bad or outdated. I'm guessing you saw 247, where they don't have material coverage. You are accurate that they need portal help, and they can create room in 1-2 spots.

Here's the class, all coming, and includes size:
1649102440134.png

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Had a chance to chat with Mike Young at NABC. Not over-burdened with personality, but the man clearly knows hoops. I hope he stays at VPI for a while. He will have them competitive most / every year and that's good for the conference. And he's not a raving *** like Uncle Fester Greenberg.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Duke Was a legit National Championship Contender this season. They had tremendous individual talent across the board and had great size and strength across their lineup. But they were one on one players. They had great individual talent, enough to win the whole deal, but they did not play great team basketball. It was all about match-up exploitation on offense (an NBA approach). They were not the inspired defenders of Duke teams of days gone by.

I wonder what the future is of this one and done model being perpetrated most purely by Duke and Kentucky, but also Auburn, Arizona, et. al.?

On one hand, it seems to be the most efficient model to maintain and perpetuate recruiting success. Get the talent that would have been drafted anyway if it were not for the NBA one-and-done rule, then establish your program as the surest way to a high draft status (which was high anyway). For the player, it is the fun and safe way to spend a year before being draft eligible.

But the on the court results seem riddled with inconsistency from year to year. The one-and-done model seems to have demonstrated that it is a less efficient and consistent way to build a winning team as the players are immature and have their minds on their own draft status. There are lots of examples of the teams simply not meshing very well.

Do we continue to see the top programs trying to horde the one-and-dones and ride individual physical talent to a championship or do we see the likes of Duke and Kentucky back-off and try mix-in and balance the draftable talent with mature and team oriented players?
Duke had an 8 man rotation with six getting most of the minutes, The other 2 got about 12 minutes . Of the 6 primary players 3 were freshmen2 were sophomores and 1 was a junior. The 2 getting 12 minutes were a grad transfer and a senior. They were young but not a pure one and done group. I think they would have matched up very well with Kansas in the final game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Duke is hiring Amile Jefferson as an assistant. They keep it in the family don't they. Scheyer seems to be carrying on the tradition of bringing in top recruits.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
So we get another year of watching opposing bigs pick up 3 fouls in 5 minutes so he can dominate against back ups and out of plsition players. Yay.

Eh I like his old-school game. Guys need to move their feet and box out much better (Howard, etc)

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am not a UNC fan by any means, but I like Bacot as a player. I wish we had one like him.

Leaky Black is staying as well. “Word” around RTP is they are making more on NIL than they would in whatever level of pro ball they would move to

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
They also want another shot at a national championship.
Easy decision to stay on campus, make good cash, be BMOC. Reality for Leaky and Bacot means playing for less cash and no fame in Greece or Italy. Neither Leaky nor Bacot have a realistic chance of playing in the NBA.