ACC Discussion 2020-21

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer

Techster

Helluva Engineer

... Well thats an interesting list Jeff. Missing GT though.

Eeh...early list. We were picked to finish 8th this season in the ACC even though we finished 5th the previous and had pretty much everyone back. We finished in the top 4 and could have finished in the top 2-3.

Our top 3 players are still in limbo with their decisions so kinda hard to predict until they all decide. If all 3 come back, hard not to pick us repeating if not exceeding our top 4 finish from this season.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

... Well thats an interesting list Jeff. Missing GT though.

Make this list again in a month and it probably looks wildly different. Like VPI at 10 is hilarious, but believe they return the starting 5 of a competent team. Obviously they didn’t dig too deep into their #3 ACC finish, but we do already know they return a lot of production where a lot of other rosters are being flipped.

Right now we’re not a Top 25 team in terms of projectability. If all return we’re among / if not the ACC favorite.

Regardless, for as useless an exercise preseason rankings are, this next year will take the cake. Probably gonna be under 50% roster retention from this year to next across the country.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Honestly it is just way too early to do any real potential rankings for next season, especially given how much turnover is likely to occur.

If the big 3 all decide to play professionally next year than GT is a bubble NCAA team. If all 3 return they should be Top 20 pre-season.

A number of the teams mentioned in his top 25 are rumored to kose more players and most teams are shopping the portal and still expecting to add players.

Talk to me in august/Sept about how to rank teams, it is going to be very difficult to get a read on teams until then, Who else leaves, who comes back, who transfers in and out.

This is going to be the wildest offseason in NCAA Basketball history. Just a perfect storm. You have the pandemic messing with every team in terms of players (esepcially new players) not really getting a typical season of practice and development and more importantly not getting a normal year of college, so that is part of why you see so many players in the portal. Also, this is likely to be the single biggest year ever for the portal due to the combination of the SR getting an extra year and everyone expecting to get to play immediately. But with the number of players that are likely to use their 'free' transfer this year, that will reduce the number of players who will likely do it next year.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess I should have mentioned I was more posting it because of some of the crazy projections like UCLA at #2. I know these way-too-early top 25 are usually just for fun, because I don't know how he can look at UCLA and be like.. yup #2. Was hoping we'd randomly make it because positive ranking news, regardless of accuracy, is good for us.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Talk to me in august/Sept about how to rank teams, it is going to be very difficult to get a read on teams until then, Who else leaves, who comes back, who transfers in and out.

This is going to be the wildest offseason in NCAA Basketball history. Just a perfect storm. You have the pandemic messing with every team in terms of players (esepcially new players) not really getting a typical season of practice and development and more importantly not getting a normal year of college, so that is part of why you see so many players in the portal. Also, this is likely to be the single biggest year ever for the portal due to the combination of the SR getting an extra year and everyone expecting to get to play immediately. But with the number of players that are likely to use their 'free' transfer this year, that will reduce the number of players who will likely do it next year.
Mark Packer uses hyperbole to make the same point: just assume every college player is leaving his current school, then show me a final roster next fall and we’ll talk pre-season rankings then.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Honestly it is just way too early to do any real potential rankings for next season, especially given how much turnover is likely to occur.

If the big 3 all decide to play professionally next year than GT is a bubble NCAA team. If all 3 return they should be Top 20 pre-season.

A number of the teams mentioned in his top 25 are rumored to kose more players and most teams are shopping the portal and still expecting to add players.

100%
These lists are generated to receive clicks. We won’t know anything until late June. Which is great, I get a couple months off

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The year over difference in turnover margin for this team was probably the single biggest factor in our improvement this year. In conference play we went from -3.3 ahead of just Wake and 1.5 behind UNC to +4.12 1st by 1.3. So nearly a 7.5 swing in turnover margin.

When you think about average points per possession, that is a huge swing in point total right there before factoring in things like momentum.