ACC Discussion 2020-21

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Fine by me. I know less than 5 dook undergrads who are good, decent people.
That may 100% correct. If so, Duke is doing something right. The Duke grads I know in NC are definitely "good, decent people."

Like you, I hate everything about their basketball team. That doesn't make them bad people.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That may 100% correct. If so, Duke is doing something right. The Duke grads I know in NC are definitely "good, decent people."

Like you, I hate everything about their basketball team. That doesn't make them bad people.
Hmmm, similarities between basketball and politics? I'll stop right there (it's a joke, bro!)

Deleted member 2897

UNC fans call Duke "the New York Day Care Center". Can sub New Jersey for New York depending on the day.

Yep, and University of New Jersey at Durham.

In all seriousness, almost all the Duke grads I've met are good people. I can still hate the rat faced cheater rat though.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yep, and University of New Jersey at Durham.

In all seriousness, almost all the Duke grads I've met are good people. I can still hate the rat faced cheater rat though.
I live 10 miles from both schools. Lots of friends from both Duke and UNC. There are some big egos from both schools. More from out of state at Duke.

Deleted member 2897

Someone posted these on reddit. Charts of ACC finishes since 2014 alignment:

Really puts into perspective what a good job Pastner has done (credit /u/byniri_returns)

Boston College's chart by every other sport will look very similar, with a few limited exceptions. Its really crazy.

For example, in the latest year (going back to 2019 to pre-covid schedule cancelings in some cases):
Baseball: Last place in the Atlantic, 12th overall.
Football: 3 way tie for 6th
Volleyball: 14th place at 1-12 overall.
Men's tennis: Dead Last.
Softball: Dead Last
Men's Soccer: 3 way tie for 7th
Women's Soccer: Tied for 2nd to Last
Field Hockey: 2nd from Last
Women's Basketball: 3rd from Last

Last edited by a moderator:

lauraee

Helluva Engineer

Duke (115.4% above ACC median, 89.4% above average)
Kentucky (108.1% above SEC median, 88.9% above average)

The two biggest brands in college hoops are the only two programs that exceeded $20M in basketball expenditures, and it’s not hard to see why. They have the two highest-paid coaches in the country by an extremely comfortable margin. Both programs print money, though (revenue north of $35M, per the same government report), so it’s not exactly a financial strain.

Some random fun facts

• Combined basketball budget for the 21 MEAC/SWAC schools: $22,940,904
  • Duke’s basketball budget: $22,178,473
  • Duke’s budget is the highest in the country, but 61 schools still spend more on football.
  • The top 69 programs (heh) spend more combined money than the bottom 284.

Tech is # 77 2 spots above BC. I'm sure both are last in the ACC. 😞 C'mon guys time to make donations earmarked solely to basketball.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer

The two biggest brands in college hoops are the only two programs that exceeded $20M in basketball expenditures, and it’s not hard to see why. They have the two highest-paid coaches in the country by an extremely comfortable margin. Both programs print money, though (revenue north of $35M, per the same government report), so it’s not exactly a financial strain.

Some random fun facts

• Duke’s budget is the highest in the country, but 61 schools still spend more on football.

Tech is # 77 2 spots above BC. I'm sure both are last in the ACC. 😞 C'mon guys time to make donations earmarked solely to basketball.
Top 20 in spending

Team
Duke
Kentucky
Louisville
Florida St.
Alabama
TCU
UCLA
Marquette
Syracuse
Villanova
Michigan St.
Georgetown
Virginia
Indiana
Kansas
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
Texas
UNC
Providence

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Top 20 in spending

Team
Duke
Kentucky
Louisville
Florida St.
Alabama
TCU
UCLA
Marquette
Syracuse
Villanova
Michigan St.
Georgetown
Virginia
Indiana
Kansas
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
Texas
UNC
Providence
I wonder how this would compare to highest head coach salaries.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder how this would compare to highest head coach salaries.

I'd love to see a staff salary chart. I'm betting a lot of the top 10 teams are paying a lot in assistant salaries. That's where we are at the most disadvantage.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

I'd love to see a staff salary chart. I'm betting a lot of the top 10 teams are paying a lot in assistant salaries. That's where we are at the most disadvantage.
There is a correlation, but there are some schools with big budgets that are not spending a large portion on the head coach.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Would be nice once in a while to see GT not being last in this type of metric. Then again, you need to EARN revenue. It’s not just given to you.

slugboy

Staff member
I wouldn’t mind at all if we could move up into the top 50 in this list, but we have a bunch of NCAA and NCAA-capable teams surrounding us.

269FF987-145E-4C5B-A06B-E6F223D755A8.jpeg

If you look in the 40-60 range, that’s about $2 million/year more, but that’s probably all head coaching salary:

7B797EE7-AD1B-45A0-BD72-A8920EA384A4.jpeg

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

Some random fun facts

There is no accounting standard for these numbers. Some schools include basketball recruiting expenses in the basketball budget, others have them in a general recruiting budget, others do it differently from that. The numbers aren't accurate enough to draw much of a conclusion.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Jordan Goldwire is planning to use his extra year, but will transfer from Duke.

Looks like they will use combo guards to cover the 1 spot next season, most likely DJ Steward and if they get his commit 5* Trevor Keels.