ACC Discussion 2019

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
What I saw last night was a TON of physical talent on both sides of the ball....speed especially...and I saw a TON of undisciplined play on both sides of the ball....and undisciplined is the polite word to use for the stupidity and thuggery on display last night. If either team can get their players to calm down, act in the best interests of the team and not showing off for themselves...they could both be extremely dangerous teams.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
  • I've seen better high school games.
  • Florida is not a Top 10 team and would not do well playing other ACC teams.
  • Dan Mullen spent too much time fussing at #41 for his late hit.
  • Florida really exposed Miami's offensive line weakness.
  • I respect the efforts of the Miami players and the Florida defensive line, but too many boneheaded mistakes.
  • Coaching on both teams was very unimpressive.
  • I hate to say it, but running the triple option for the full 4th quarter would have beaten Florida, but not so much for the 3 other quarters.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
THAT was not a hold on the fake FG, but I have seen UF holding many times that were more significant, and no flags. Yes, Miami gets the "OBVIOUS" calls, but they don't get the close ones. There have been several that the ref called on the U that should have been NO CALLS. I hate the SEC. No, I don't like the Coral Gables Detention Center, but I hate the SEC.

Another question on the fake FG.

Why wasn't the ball downed where the snapper caught it? Snapper catches with knee on ground and pitches back to punter who runs it. Must be some special rule for snappers, otherwise you could never kick a FG (the ball would be down when the snapper places it).

Back to the game, the ACC is now tied for last place in all OOC records. :cautious: I wanted both to lose and have to say there were really good, but undiciplined althetes playing. A lot of first game mistakes but also some just plain stupid plays with the unsportsmanlike penalties.

Animal02

Banned
Another question on the fake FG.

Why wasn't the ball downed where the snapper caught it? Snapper catches with knee on ground and pitches back to punter who runs it. Must be some special rule for snappers, otherwise you could never kick a FG (the ball would be down when the snapper places it).

Back to the game, the ACC is now tied for last place in all OOC records. :cautious: I wanted both to lose and have to say there were really good, but undiciplined althetes playing. A lot of first game mistakes but also some just plain stupid plays with the unsportsmanlike penalties.
The kick holder is allowed to have his knee on the ground per rule. Otherwise he would be down when he receives the snap.
Could not believe all the stupid fumbles in the game.....just careless.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The kick holder is allowed to have his knee on the ground per rule. Otherwise he would be down when he receives the snap.
Could not believe all the stupid fumbles in the game.....just careless.

OK, but there was no kick so he wasn't the kick holder ....... I'm sure someone here has the rules to look up. I'm lazy but interested in this special teams play.

Related note. How much better is our ST team going to be rated this year? Football Outsiders had us at 65th last year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Bunch of bone head plays in the game. Neither team looked like a top 25 team. But they are both physical. About all you can come away with.

In the first game of the season, bonehead plays are more common. Most teams exhibit a big improvement from game one to game two.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think a lot of us would like to discuss ACC football and how other teams on our schedule are playing. So, to kick it off, here is my take on the Miami-Florida game:

Miami should consider putting at least some of their OL on the travel squad. Otherwise their new FR QB is going to be in hospice before November. But, the Canes looked like a talented, but poorly coached, team. Hopefully the coaching remains at this level for a while.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think we're going to have the worst OL in the Coastal despite converting from the TO. Miami going to need three or four qb's before year end. We play UM on Oct 19th. Probably we will be catching the 3rd string guy in his first start or second start, or the second string guy when he's too beat up do much.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Miami had every opportunity to win that matchup, given Florida's turnovers and Miami's huge rushes.

On an unrelated note, that Hawai'i vs Arizona game was amazing, especially the end. Felt like Superbowl 34 all over again.
Arizona head coach Kevin Sumlin may be canned in December if Arizona has another losing season. He's sitting on a very hot hotseat right now!

Last edited: