ACC Discussion 2017

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
The point was even with same talent Summers went backwards in pretty much every way last year. As far as Fritz's own recruits, he was only there two years. The only chance they have had is with a terrible coaching staff that made even established players look bad. They went from rushing for 4700 the last year under Fritz to 2700 the next year and returned damn near everybody. Brieda goes from 1600 yards to 600. Fields regresses. Ellison and Upshaw regress. The offense had no identity and the defense wasn't any better. So no I don't see how you can argue that Fritz's recruiting was an issue when Summers proved that he could mess up even established and proven guys. That's why I bring up stars, because it's utterly stupid to claim talent is the issue when there was a staff that proved it could mess up established talent. We have no way of knowing how good the talent is.

Also what's your point with the State game? Fritz won 9 games and a bowl game. Oh he had one bad loss and you think that somehow compares to 0-6 and losing to an FCS team? Fritz has had success at every stop he has been.

Also Hatcher was 7-4 his first year, which was an improvement over the VanGorder disaster, but 6-5 the year after and 5-6 his last year. Look at any successful GSU coach. Their winning% are 70+ not ~55. Both before and after. But more to the point he continued what VanGorder started and that was scrapping what was the identity of GSU football, and that was the option. The fact that they wanted Cook, but then went out and got the OC from the Hatcher years was absurd, but it goes with the fact that Summers didn't really want to run the option and only did so because he knew at GSU you had to, at least to some degree.
You're right about everything you said. I was looking at what you said incorrectly. I apologize. Can we both be happy that Summers is gone?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
What do y'all think the chances are of VT head coach Justin Fuente becoming head coach of Tennessee if they really open up their wallets? I've read where he didn't like being forced to keep Bud Foster as defensive coordinator and he's still pissed about it,

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What do y'all think the chances are of VT head coach Justin Fuente becoming head coach of Tennessee if they really open up their wallets? I've read where he didn't like being forced to keep Bud Foster as defensive coordinator and he's still pissed about it,

It would be stupid to be upset about having one of the best DC's in football. Do you have a link where this is discussed?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
It would be stupid to be upset about having one of the best DC's in football. Do you have a link where this is discussed?

I'd imagine Foster casts a longer shadow than Fuentes there. I imagine that can get old.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think UT will get Petrino, thats a match made in heaven
Bob Petrino will be a huge step up if he's hired by UT. His offense would be pass,pass and more pass which is what UT fans want. It was mentioned on Volnation that Bob might not be able to be hired by an SEC school because of his NCAA difficulties. It was said that the SEC schools signed an agreement that they wouldn't hire a head football coach that had previous troubles with the NCAA. I don't know if that's true however.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Bob Petrino will be a huge step up if he's hired by UT. His offense would be pass,pass and more pass which is what UT fans want. It was mentioned on Volnation that Bob might not be able to be hired by an SEC school because of his NCAA difficulties. It was said that the SEC schools signed an agreement that they wouldn't hire a head football coach that had previous troubles with the NCAA. I don't know if that's true however.
At this point, Tennessee will do literally anything to become relevant again.

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
In honor of Clemson week here's a great GT-Clemson game of the past. Here's the 21-19 win by GT over Clemson in 1990:cool:

Thanks for sharing this video. FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC game..... Clemson was REALLY good that season and only had two losses (one to GT, one at #1 UVa) on the year. The Tigers ended up destroying Illinois in their bowl game.

The goal line stand in the 2nd half was ridiculous. BDS was rocking that day, for sure.

Youngsters take note.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I hope UT makes a good hire, and becomes relevant again, so they can start kicking the mutts arse every year. Fuentes would be a twofer for us as he looks like a pretty good hire by Va Tech so far. Throw the Hokies into chaos once again, and put the mutts on the run. Sweet.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I hope UT makes a good hire, and becomes relevant again, so they can start kicking the mutts arse every year. Fuentes would be a twofer for us as he looks like a pretty good hire by Va Tech so far. Throw the Hokies into chaos once again, and put the mutts on the run. Sweet.
Yeah Justin Fuentes would I think be the best hire for UT and it would cause the VT program to crash and burn for the next 3-5 years which would help GT:cool:

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for sharing this video. FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC, FANTASTIC game..... Clemson was REALLY good that season and only had two losses (one to GT, one at #1 UVa) on the year. The Tigers ended up destroying Illinois in their bowl game.

The goal line stand in the 2nd half was ridiculous. BDS was rocking that day, for sure.

Youngsters take note.
A sold out BDS is a beautiful thing;):cool: