ACC Coastal Title

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Everyone lately has looked at Duke's schedule and commented on how they've got the clearest shot at the Coastal. The way I look at it, Duke is still our easiest in-conference game. It would be Virginia, but they always give us Hell. Last year for Duke was a combination of timing, surprise, weak strength of schedule and luck. No way they're overlooked this year. I'll wager they go 3-5 in the ACC this year (they beat UNC, Wake and Virginia) and barely makes a bowl game (if they beat Kansas).

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we are using the past results rule and players…
  • VT no longer has Logan Thomas who has had his best games against us.
  • Miami still has D Johnson. They killed us in the air and DJ killed us on the ground. I understand your pessimism here…
  • Sammy is a beast…any reloading here?
  • UNC had Ebron and he is a beast as well… any reloading here?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Until we can beat VT and Miami (CPJ is 1-5 against both), I'm not marking either of them down for a win. We play Clemson at home where we've historically been the better team, plus they no longer have Sammy Watkins to run all over our pass defense, so I feel a lot better about Clemson than the previous 2 years.

Duke really doesn't scare me. I think they'll go bowling, but they won't beat us. UNC is UNC...lots of good players, but they can't seem to put it all together. Will be a tough fight as usual, but we'll pull away in the 4th quarter.

The key will be keeping JT healthy, and hope our OL gels and matures over the first 3 games before the meat of the schedule begins.

So your saying VT Miami loss and we run the rest of the ACC? 6 and 2 ACC record? Hate to loose two in our division, but decent year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Who knows...the coastal is wide open. As others have said we have a good a shot as anyone.
This is why being a Tech fan is fun. We have a decent shot at the division. Anything can happen in the title game. It could be a very good year. Or not. That's what makes it fun being a GT football fan. One thing's for certain, we have guys we can be proud of on and off the field. Tech men.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You know, I wonder about UNC.

I don't know how many of you saw the heartbreaking TV segments about the "education" UNC was giving its football players. UNC is relentlessly exploiting these young men and I'm betting that they are coming to realize it. What I've noticed is that their best athletes, the ones who have a good chance of making the NFL, play well. It's the rest of their outfit that tend to take plays off, give half efforts, show a lack of concentration, ect. And the result is continuing underperformance. I thought when Fedora went up there that the conference was in a heap of trouble, but even a coach as good as he is has the same problem. To me that shouts out that the team has a morale problem and I bet it's because of the indefensible way those young men are treated.

If I were a UNC fan, I'd be ashamed to show my face in civilized company until this whole situation is addressed. I'm serious.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Virginia Tech loses 7 starters on defense including 3 defensive linemen and their best player (Kyle Fuller). They also lose 5 starters on offense including Logan Thomas. The only thing they got going for them is Bud Foster. If we CPJ can figure out what they are doing on defense early and make the correct adjustments I wouldn't be shocked if we pull of the upset in Blacksburg this year.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Virginia Tech loses 7 starters on defense including 3 defensive linemen and their best player (Kyle Fuller). They also lose 5 starters on offense including Logan Thomas. The only thing they got going for them is Bud Foster. If we CPJ can figure out what they are doing on defense early and make the correct adjustments I wouldn't be shocked if we pull of the upset in Blacksburg this year.
They have their 20th generation Fuller playing too.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
VT will be a different game as CTR is preparing the O for the VT defensive pressure. Of course, VT could bring a new game plan.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
VT will be a different game as CTR is preparing the O for the VT defensive pressure. Of course, VT could bring a new game plan.

I'm pretty sure they do this prep every year. IIRC, CPJ said that vpi did nothing which we didn't prep for.

Last year, we had bad breaks. VPI didn't do anything to cause two wrs and 6+ false starts. We had a nice drive stopped by a questionable interception in the redzone, etc.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
The past few series against vpi were more a result of us sucking. The last time they really dominated us was when Marcus conVick was their qb. They're beatable if we stop beating ourselves.