Miami plays Louisville and FSU
UNC plays Clemson and NCS
GT plays Clemson and NCS
VT plays Wake and Boston
Duke plays Wake and Syracuse
Virginia plays Louisville and FSU
Pitt plays Syracuse and Boston College

Given the above and my biassed opinion:

Maimi has an uphill battle with a new QB and two tough cross divisional games. Virgina is double hit with a team that struggled last year along with two tough cross divisional games

Pitt, Duke, and VT have the advantage in cross divisional games. Duke, Pitt, and VT have new QB's.

UNC and GT has one tough cross division, GT at home and UNC is in death valley. New QB's almost all the way around.

Ranking based on last years performance and cross divisional games:
  • Duke is in its own driver seat with an easy cross schedule and good performance last year. I don't like giving them this spot and I do without consent from my head or heart. They do have an easy schedule and victories last year to prove it is possible. I would not bet on it.
  • GT is not far behind and would need to beat VT to be in the drivers seat with a loss to Clemson.
  • UNC needs to beat GT to be in the drivers seat with a loss to Clemson.
  • VT, I struggled with this one. Here or ahead of GT? I put them here because I think we win this one. VT does have the advantage in 2 easy cross divisional games. The head says higher, the heart says here.
  • Maimi has a tough road and needs to beat two good teams to keep from being one or two back when playing the coastal teams.
  • Pitt has two easy cross divisional games and many are saying they are a dark horse this year. But I cannot bring myself to say they will not loose to at least 2 coastal teams and one of those 2 will have at least one cross divisional game won.
  • Virginia is would have to have a significant turn around.
6 and 2 goes to the championship. GT goes 5 and 1 in coastal and at least 1 of 2 in cross division. Breaks the tie with any other 6 and 2 team by a direct win or more wins in the coastal.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Two words: New QB and no Ebron... Four words and an abbreviation.

Not sure I'd really consider Marquise Williams a "New QB". He started 6 games last year including the last 5. Starting QB in their bowl win over Cinci, went 4-2 overall. 21 TDs 6 INT last year. It's not like he's some experienced veteran but it's not like he's an unproven starter or a "New QB".

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
These were the Bovada (Vegas) odds couple weeks back:

Miami 3/2 (40%)
UNC 7/4 (36%)
VT 6/1 (14%)
GT 15/2 (12%)
Duke 15/2 (12%)
Pitt 25/1 (4%)
UVA 25/1 (4%)

Adds up to much more than 100%, because Vegas likes to keep your money. :)

I think Miami and UNC are very bad bets, but there are good arguments for VT, GT and Duke. Maybe also for Pitt.

Most importantly, there is a lot to play for, anybody's game pretty much, except UVA. :)

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Cross Division Play
Miami plays Louisville and FSU
UNC plays Clemson and NCS
GT plays Clemson and NCS
VT plays Wake and Boston
Duke plays Wake and Syracuse
Virginia plays Louisville and FSU
Pitt plays Syracuse and Boston College

Given the above and my biassed opinion:

Maimi has an uphill battle with a new QB and two tough cross divisional games. Virgina is double hit with a team that struggled last year along with two tough cross divisional games

Pitt, Duke, and VT have the advantage in cross divisional games. Duke, Pitt, and VT have new QB's.

UNC and GT has one tough cross division, GT at home and UNC is in death valley. New QB's almost all the way around.

Ranking based on last years performance and cross divisional games:
  • Duke is in its own driver seat with an easy cross schedule and good performance last year. I don't like giving them this spot and I do without consent from my head or heart. They do have an easy schedule and victories last year to prove it is possible. I would not bet on it.
  • GT is not far behind and would need to beat VT to be in the drivers seat with a loss to Clemson.
  • UNC needs to beat GT to be in the drivers seat with a loss to Clemson.
  • VT, I struggled with this one. Here or ahead of GT? I put them here because I think we win this one. VT does have the advantage in 2 easy cross divisional games. The head says higher, the heart says here.
  • Maimi has a tough road and needs to beat two good teams to keep from being one or two back when playing the coastal teams.
  • Pitt has two easy cross divisional games and many are saying they are a dark horse this year. But I cannot bring myself to say they will not loose to at least 2 coastal teams and one of those 2 will have at least one cross divisional game won.
  • Virginia is would have to have a significant turn around.
6 and 2 goes to the championship. GT goes 5 and 1 in coastal and at least 1 of 2 in cross division. Breaks the tie with any other 6 and 2 team by a direct win or more wins in the coastal.

Like your analysis. Requires GT to beat 2 of UNC, Miami, and VT...and not trip up to Duke or Pitt. Long shot but doable. with one trip up could upset UC and still get there. Like our longshot chances.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Duke was 4-2 in the Coastal last year. I don't see them beating vpi d'ohU & unc this year.

MW @ QB is no problem (bonus) as @Longestday says, but they lost their OC to UF.

Of the real top 4, imo, d'ohU has toughest crossover and vpi the easiest. GT & unc the same. I think it works out close to a pickem

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I think it comes down to us and Miami. Im gonna say we lose to them and clemson. They lose to FSU and Louisville and possibly Duke or VT.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think it comes down to us and Miami. Im gonna say we lose to them and clemson. They lose to FSU and Louisville and possibly Duke or VT.
That would stink to not win both tough home games! Let's at least win one.............................................and win the other in overtime: )

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If our players got to smoke something then print the following, wad it up, stick in your pipe, and smoke it… feels good!

"Unlike some previous years, Georgia Tech doesn’t have the ridiculous task of playing a division rival on just five days rest. No Thursday night games, no Labor Day games in Blacksburg, no mid-season road games in Provo, Utah, and for the love of Dodd, no game in Clemson for the first time since 2011.

The Yellow Jackets don’t play Florida State and they play Clemson in Bobby Dodd Stadium, a place the Tigers haven’t won since ’03. There are games against NC State and Virginia, two teams that combined to go 0-16 in conference play last year, and games vs. Duke and North Carolina, which Paul Johnson has beaten a combined 11 times in 12 meetings over the last six years."

http://deanbuchan.com/2014/07/14/5-reasons-georgia-tech-will-be-better-than-you-think/

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
MW @ QB is no problem (bonus) as @Longestday says, but they lost their OC to UF.

I assume by MW you are talking about Marquise Williams, who plays for UNC. Their OC left to be the HC at Arkansas State, not UF. Duke's OC Kurt Roper left for UF. Regardless, I think it's a little premature to say MW will be "no problem". I think he is going to be very good for them, their fans are just as excited about him as we were Vad, except MW has a larger sample size entering the season they were slated to start. I don't see how playing against him is a bonus. Their offense was more explosive with him than Renner. I assume other fans will think going against JT will be a bonus as well?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I assume by MW you are talking about Marquise Williams, who plays for UNC. Their OC left to be the HC at Arkansas State, not UF. Duke's OC Kurt Roper left for UF. Regardless, I think it's a little premature to say MW will be "no problem". I think he is going to be very good for them, their fans are just as excited about him as we were Vad, except MW has a larger sample size entering the season they were slated to start. I don't see how playing against him is a bonus. Their offense was more explosive with him than Renner. I assume other fans will think going against JT will be a bonus as well?

Thanks. I errantly conflated Duke and UNC in my head, shifting QBs during season and losing OC. My bad.

Anyway, I meant no problem (bonus) for them not us. Stupid shorthand by me.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Until we can beat VT and Miami (CPJ is 1-5 against both), I'm not marking either of them down for a win. We play Clemson at home where we've historically been the better team, plus they no longer have Sammy Watkins to run all over our pass defense, so I feel a lot better about Clemson than the previous 2 years.

Duke really doesn't scare me. I think they'll go bowling, but they won't beat us. UNC is UNC...lots of good players, but they can't seem to put it all together. Will be a tough fight as usual, but we'll pull away in the 4th quarter.

The key will be keeping JT healthy, and hope our OL gels and matures over the first 3 games before the meat of the schedule begins.