ACC Coaches set

Richt at Miami is probably not too much of an adjustment. I find the UVA hire of Mendenhall interesting. In the end, I think it will be good. The circumstances he is walking into will be quite different, requiring an adjustment on his part I'm sure. He will have younger kids on average with a bit of a culture change thrown in. Bottom line, I think he is a good coach who will have success.
Was BYU not eligible for the playoffs? Seems like a crazy move otherwise, especially given the other jobs that were open.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Hey, many of us wanted real football on the Flats not Weak Florist and Acorn St every week.

Time to man up and quit whining. We got a taste of what a real schedule feels like this year. We were clearly not ready.

We got our butts kicked this year but atleast the competition on the other side of the ball was much better. Just need to step it up and compete.

I think we'll find our way and this year will be like the first dose of medicine we needed to get healthy. We were denying we were weak even though the evidence in front of us suggested otherwise. I know I was hoping against reason we would pull off a program turning year by winning consistently with all those senior graduating and a thin/inexperienced bench.

The next 2 years will tell whether we're the ACC's ***** or we're going to be a force to be reckoned with.

CPJ better put his big boys pants on.

UVA completes the 3-3 strong hires with BYU's Bronco Mendenhall. He was 99-42 at BYU.

FWIW, CPJ is 10-13 against the current ACC Coastal coaches.

Cutcliffe - 6-2
Richt - 2-6
Fedora - 2-2
Narduzzi - 0-1
Mendenhall - 0-2
Fuente - 0-0

RamblinRed
That is a potentially a real Murders' Row shaping up for us. Five years ago Duke and UVA were at least a break in the action. Now they may be rising to the top. Throw in Dabo and Jimbo, and occasionally Notre Dame---whew. It never gets easier, does it?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Such as? Difficult recruiting the area with Virginia Tech, all the tobacco road schools, all major programs cherry picking the D.C. area talent. I think they will continue to be middlin.

UVA's resources trumps VT's. Hell trumps Maryland's too. Just never had the right coach. London grabbed 4 & 5 star players with the program being crappy. I'm not sure how strong a recruiter he is but if he can tap into Tidewater & DC he'll do just fine.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Two pages in and no one is concerned about the vacancy yet to be filled at Syracuse? We have a showdown in 2020 for crying out loud.

Anyway, most up there want Dino Babers. I think that would be a good hire.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am far less worried about other programs and who their coaches are than I am about GT and whether we get it together. When we have our act together, we can beat just about anybody. When we don't, we can lose to just about anybody.

It's us, not them.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I am far less worried about other programs and who their coaches are than I am about GT and whether we get it together. When we have our act together, we can beat just about anybody. When we don't, we can lose to just about anybody.

It's us, not them.
This guy gets it. Spot on Brother!

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Babers is a very underrated coach IMO. I think he will perform well wherever he lands. I would have hired him over Smart at UGAg.

The coastal has made some good hires. I think that there will be even more parity in the Coastal than before. It will probably hurt the chances of a coastal team getting to the playoffs. Time will tell. I think the shakeup in coaching helps us in recruiting in the short term. Maybe we can steal some DL talent.

Mechaniik

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey, many of us wanted real football on the Flats not Weak Florist and Acorn St every week.

Time to man up and quit whining. We got a taste of what a real schedule feels like this year. We were clearly not ready.

We got our butts kicked this year but atleast the competition on the other side of the ball was much better. Just need to step it up and compete.

I think we'll find our way and this year will be like the first dose of medicine we needed to get healthy. We were denying we were weak even though the evidence in front of us suggested otherwise. I know I was hoping against reason we would pull off a program turning year by winning consistently with all those senior graduating and a thin/inexperienced bench.

The next 2 years will tell whether we're the ACC's ***** or we're going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Was last year not real football?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Was last year not real football?
Not sure you could argue that last year's schedule was anywhere near as difficult as this year's. We were also fortunate we drew Miss St in the Orange Bowl instead of Mich St. Would have been a much tougher game had that happened as we got the overhyped SEC West team instead of a legitimate Top 10 team. As it stand right now we've played 4 Top 10 teams. Has anyone else even played 2?

Milwaukee

Banned
As it stand right now we've played 4 Top 10 teams. Has anyone else even played 2?

Notre Dame
USC
Clemson
Illinois
Maryland
Nebraska
Northwestern
Penn St
Purdue
Rutgers
Wisconsin
Boston College
NC State
Wake Forest
Miami
Pittsburgh
Virginia
Virginia Tech

I got tired of looking. I'm sure there are many more.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure how much tougher the schedule will get for us. Because:

• There's absolutely no guarantee that UNC will not revert to type under Fedora. They had Williams in 2014 and sucked. Except against us, of course.

• I think Mendenhall will find success at UVA a lot harder to maintain then at BYU. Remember, BYU is like Notre Dame for Mormons; he had a steady flow of recruits that he won't be able to count on now. And, btw, he has, like, zero Virginia connections.

• It is true that Watson will make life difficult for Clemson's opponents until he leaves. But, hey, so did Taj Boyd. We beat him in his senior year. I don't have any long run fears about competition with the Tiggers.

• Same story with Puke. They've been lucky two years in a row against us. That won't last, no matter what Cutliffe does.

• VPI is rebuilding. 'Nuff said.

• We almost beat Pitt this year. We will next year.

• Miami will be getting used to Richt. I expect him to chase off some of their better talent. Long run da U may become more formidable, but they've been trying that with good coaches for years without success. I'll believe this when I see it.

Then there's FSU. If we keep getting them for our cross-division opponents we will have trouble. They're the only school in the ACC that has been consistently excellent. As long as we avoid ND and get Wake or NCSU as a cross-division opponent more regularly, I don't really see any looming doom here. It might be there, but with as much uncertainty as we see in the division today, I'm not particularly worried. Unless we lose almost our entire starting O backfield by the end of fall practice again, that is.

Milwaukee

Banned
Duke will fall back down once Cash is gone. I've never seen one player come in and impact a team as much as he did.

He was a 5* from Ohio State, got kicked off the team or something and transferred to Duke if I remember correctly.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I totally agree!
If kids think they will have a fair chance to play they self recruit to come to the highest level of competition.
ACC getting tougher is great for us.
Say what u want we play uga every year and thats a big game. Uva , duke, unc, plays ??
ADD ND AND FSU EVERY OTHER YEAR.

We are in ATL! Center of college football.
Just need to get this offense and aggressive defense going.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Duke will fall back down once Cash is gone. I've never seen one player come in and impact a team as much as he did.

He was a 5* from Ohio State, got kicked off the team or something and transferred to Duke if I remember correctly.

Please find us a transfer like cash or 9 from ND

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Not sure you could argue that last year's schedule was anywhere near as difficult as this year's. We were also fortunate we drew Miss St in the Orange Bowl instead of Mich St. Would have been a much tougher game had that happened as we got the overhyped SEC West team instead of a legitimate Top 10 team. As it stand right now we've played 4 Top 10 teams. Has anyone else even played 2?

Statements like this make me really wonder about our fan base. Year after year we some guys like to either discredit or put a disclaimer on our wins.