ACC By the Numbers

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
The key to Georgia Tech’s success this season has been less about big highlights and more about doing the little things well. And in the crazy Coastal, that’s a recipe for a lot of wins.

Against FBS foes, no team in the nation has a lower percentage of three-and-outs than Georgia Tech (7.3). The next closest in the ACC is Florida State (12.3 percent).

The Yellow Jackets rank No. 2 in the ACC in red-zone TD percentage (75 percent) and have the second-best red-zone defense (41.6 percent touchdowns).

The Georgia Tech defense has been strong, but the offense has helped. No team in the nation averages more plays per drive than Tech (6.73), it’s fifth among Power 5 teams in time of possession against FBS foes, and the Jackets are one of just 17 teams to have not allowed more than one score off a turnover.

espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id...rs-week-6-recap

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great stats! Our offense is back up at the high end of stats. Also parts of our STs are doing good.

But I didn't see anything that supported "The Georgia Tech defense has been strong". I figure you were being nice. Football outsiders has us as 87th in Defensive Efficiency. Later on the stats will be adjusted for quality of opponent. But that won't help much since we gave up a lot of points to low ranked teams in the first three games.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Great stats! Our offense is back up at the high end of stats. Also parts of our STs are doing good.

But I didn't see anything that supported "The Georgia Tech defense has been strong". I figure you were being nice. Football outsiders has us as 87th in Defensive Efficiency. Later on the stats will be adjusted for quality of opponent. But that won't help much since we gave up a lot of points to low ranked teams in the first three games.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef

That was only against FBS foes (according to the article).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Our D has not been strong, but it has made plays when needed. Our yards/play D has been horrible.

The points allowed stat is misleading since our O limits possessions and puts pressure on opposition O.

Imo, our talent is better than our stats on D. Let's get better.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Our D has not been strong, but it has made plays when needed. Our yards/play D has been horrible.

The points allowed stat is misleading since our O limits possessions and puts pressure on opposition O.

Actually, if you take away the Georgia Southern game, our defense has actually acquitted themselves pretty well, especially making terrific halftime adjustments in the other 4 victories (just not against GSU). Don't forget, we came into the system with a relatively "young" (read that inexperienced) team which has been getting more confident every game, which is exactly what (I think) everyone was hoping for coming into this season, based on our schedule.

I don't know how many actually thought we'd be 5 -0 right now, based on our "youth," but I figure many hoped we'd be 4 - 1, but think many thought we'd actually be 3 - 2 with losses to VA Tech and Miami. Now we've seen Duke lose to Miami, NC State get destroyed by Clemson, North Carolina lose to virtually everyone, Pittsburgh going down the toilet, and even Virginia barely winning against bad teams. The only two teams left on our schedule which look "difficult" are Clemson, which lost to FSU (and they should have gotten beat by NC State), and UGA (who should have gotten beat by Tennessee, who just lost to Florida).

In other words, at this particular juncture of our season, if we stay healthy, and our defense continues to improve, then I don't see any game on our schedule that isn't "winnable". Just my opinion.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have found ways to get opponents off the field and have been very opportunistic. That has been our saving grace. The hard part is trying to be optimistic about the future when the yards per play is so high. You can't count on winning the TO battle every game. Or can you? It sure helps that our O has shortened games and finished drives well. We have athletes back there who can make plays on D. There is speed on the field. At this point I am reconciled to the weaknesses, but I just want the kids to keep working and get better. That is all they can do.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Right, I was looking for the points per possession stat and couldn't find it. I'm sure it's somewhere on Football Outsiders........ or Study Hall and couldn't find it.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I expect this weekend to be the biggest test for our defense to date. I don't know if Duke's defense can stop our offense, but Duke's offense has been effective passing the ball when the QB has time. Miami was able to beat them by getting pressure with their front four. I'm not sure our guys will be able to do that.

Couple that with our defense appearing to literally lose some WR's when we're playing zone and I fear we may be in for a high-scoring affair that we're going to have to win 42-38 or something.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually, if you take away the Georgia Southern game, our defense has actually acquitted themselves pretty well, especially making terrific halftime adjustments in the other 4 victories (just not against GSU). Don't forget, we came into the system with a relatively "young" (read that inexperienced) team which has been getting more confident every game, which is exactly what (I think) everyone was hoping for coming into this season, based on our schedule.

I don't know how many actually thought we'd be 5 -0 right now, based on our "youth," but I figure many hoped we'd be 4 - 1, but think many thought we'd actually be 3 - 2 with losses to VA Tech and Miami. Now we've seen Duke lose to Miami, NC State get destroyed by Clemson, North Carolina lose to virtually everyone, Pittsburgh going down the toilet, and even Virginia barely winning against bad teams. The only two teams left on our schedule which look "difficult" are Clemson, which lost to FSU (and they should have gotten beat by NC State), and UGA (who should have gotten beat by Tennessee, who just lost to Florida).

In other words, at this particular juncture of our season, if we stay healthy, and our defense continues to improve, then I don't see any game on our schedule that isn't "winnable". Just my opinion.
Just to add onto to what you said at the end, I also don't see any game that isn't loseable either

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck

When comparing stats, I don't like including running option-based teams as they tend to screw up the stats and are apples/oranges to non-option passing teams. You have to throw out the stats from GT, Wofford, Ga Southern, and the military schools because the game is so radically different when they are involved.

For example, GT often draws teams with good run defense and racks up 3 games worth of rushing yards in one game. This destroys the stats of the teams that have to play running option-based teams.

Also, we played Ga Southern, not GSU. Same conference, same state, very different team.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Southern, i
When comparing stats, I don't like including running option-based teams as they tend to screw up the stats and are apples/oranges to non-option passing teams. You have to throw out the stats from GT, Wofford, Ga Southern, and the military schools because the game is so radically different when they are involved.

For example, GT often draws teams with good run defense and racks up 3 games worth of rushing yards in one game. This destroys the stats of the teams that have to play running option-based teams.

Also, we played Ga Southern, not GSU. Same conference, same state, very different team.

Georgia Southern is actually Georgia Southern University, ergo, the original "GSU" football team since Georgia State just started playing football.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Georgia Southern, i

Georgia Southern is actually Georgia Southern University, ergo, the original "GSU" football team since Georgia State just started playing football.
Georgia State University:
ga+state.gif

Georgia Southern University:
georgia-southern-fb.jpg