ACC Bowl Thread

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Everyone is already pulling the FSU shouldn't have even been in the playoffs card because they played nobody. This is not good for any of us. We may be desperate for Oregon to blowout whoever they play in the championship game as well.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone else besides me think FSU is going to beat Oregon by 14+ points..? I think they are going to beat them silly.. really do.
Same for Bama over OSU...
Go ahead.. I'm ready! :)
Just wanted to provide an exhibit that demonstrates why I don't gamble... very weak prediction :) very weak.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Everyone is already pulling the FSU shouldn't have even been in the playoffs card because they played nobody. This is not good for any of us. We may be desperate for Oregon to blowout whoever they play in the championship game as well.
Right you are, Jeff. For the ACC champs to take a huge licking like that...it's embarrassing for us all. All the more reason the conference should at least appreciate GA Tech for the licking it laid on MSU and Clemson for it's manhandling of OU.

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
We would have best FSU by 20+ if they played like this against us. FSU played their best game of the season against GT. I think Tech vs Oregon would be a good game. FSU losing takes zero away from what Tech did this season. Don't get caught up in conference pride and perception based on the false transitive property. Do you think the Falcons fans care if the Panthers get smoked in the playoffs because it will make the division look bad? Nope.

jeffgt14

We would have best FSU by 20+ if they played like this against us. FSU played their best game of the season against GT. I think Tech vs Oregon would be a good game. FSU losing takes zero away from what Tech did this season. Don't get caught up in conference pride and perception based on the false transitive property. Do you think the Falcons fans care if the Panthers get smoked in the playoffs because it will make the division look bad? Nope.
Doesn't matter what you or I think. I don't believe there's any conference better or worse than the others. Every conference has it's good teams, bad teams, and mediocre teams but right now the national perception is that it's conferences that are better than other conferences instead of teams being better than other teams.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
We would have best FSU by 20+ if they played like this against us. FSU played their best game of the season against GT. I think Tech vs Oregon would be a good game. FSU losing takes zero away from what Tech did this season. --------.
I love our team and what they accomplished but Oregon was impressive today. They are a hurry up and hurry faster offense and their D was very impressive. They were fast, they could tackle,and swarm. I don't know what their D line weight was but the big O line of Oregon out quicked FSU. Oregon is what we can look like with a good D. Will not score as high a point total but would as dominating.
The freshman RB that ripped us apart could not get un-tracked and Oregon forced turn overs. If we could have forced those turn overs our score would have been about the same.
The Championship game is going to be interesting. I think Oregon will eat up the inexperienced QB of OSU.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I love our team and what they accomplished but Oregon was impressive today. They are a hurry up and hurry faster offense and their D was very impressive. They were fast, they could tackle,and swarm. I don't know what their D line weight was but the big O line of Oregon out quicked FSU. Oregon is what we can look like with a good D. Will not score as high a point total but would as dominating.
The freshman RB that ripped us apart could not get un-tracked and Oregon forced turn overs. If we could have forced those turn overs our score would have been about the same.
The Championship game is going to be interesting. I think Oregon will eat up the inexperienced QB of OSU.

The primary difference between us and Oregon is on defense. We have not had enough great athletes on defense to hurry the opposing passers the way Oregon did last night. But frankly, other than that, it was simply karma/bad luck which can happen on any given night to any team.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
By the way, I thought two things about FSU stood out to me:
  1. that most of their players did not participate in post-game handshakes....very poor sportsmanship!
  2. that Winston sat in the post-game press conference and insisted that FSU beat itself and implying that FSU was the better team....dude, be classy and give props to Oregon! So happy to see that dude go the NFL and absolutely convinced he will be a total bust there because of his horrible attitude.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
So watching these playoff games we could easily beat any of these teams.
We would easily beat the FSU team that showed up to play Oregon. FSU had to play a nearly perfect game agaist us and they win by 2. I think we could play with Oregon, tough to make the call that we would win. I feel more comfortable playing Ala. than Oregon. We played several teams similar to Ala. We did not play any team similar to Oregon this year. Oregon is similar to the Clemson team we played last year.

slugboy

Staff member
We would easily beat the FSU team that showed up to play Oregon. FSU had to play a nearly perfect game agaist us and they win by 2. I think we could play with Oregon, tough to make the call that we would win. I feel more comfortable playing Ala. than Oregon. We played several teams similar to Ala. We did not play any team similar to Oregon this year. Oregon is similar to the Clemson team we played last year.
Oregon got penetration and a pass rush, and rattled Winston. We couldn't. The reason that Oregon saw that FSU team is that Oregon's defense disrupted their offense and offensive line. The reason we lost our three games was that we couldn't win the LOS on defense. We'd have the same problem against any of the four semifinalists.

We get a pass rush (and more out of our front 7), and we're in it.

jeffgt14

I still don't know what game y'all were watching but outside of us, that was the best game Winston has played all year. I don't know what pass rush was getting him rattled but if not for drops on easy catches he would've completed about 75% of his passes for over 400 yards. The kid made 2 bad plays the entire game. The option at the goal line and the 4th down fumble that if his receivers could catch shouldn't have been a 4th down at all. Say what you want about the rest of the team but Winston came to play and I don't even like the kid or think he'll be any good in the pros.

Take nothing away from that Oregon offense though. The blocking schemes were impressive and Mariotta looked phenomenal.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Tech could beat Oregon if both teams played their best game; shoot, I'm not sure anybody could be beat Oregon under those circumstances. They obviously got a wake-up call after their game with Arizona, just like we did when we lost to UNC. The Ducks were a different team after that.

That said, Winston was right; FSU gave them that ball game. You can't turn the ball over like they did in a high stakes game and expect to win. And I agree with Jeff: that didn't look like the corps of WRs we played against in the ACCCG. They were dropping balls right and left. What it came down to was that FSU played like they did against Louisville and Oregon is a lot better then Petrino's bunch. Why they weren't ready is anybody's guess, but they certainly weren't.