ACC Bowl Thread

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I think that Alabama losing and what Tech did in the Orange are (or should be) enough to have destroyed the really transparent propaganda narrative that dominated the ESPN led sports media from before the season began. FSU's loss is not that big of a deal all things considered given the disrespect they were shown anyway by the b.s. narrative.

I know this is a pipe dream but my hope would be that ESPN and the media machine next year would promote the products they sell (meaning entities like SEC Network and that conferences games) in an overt and direct manner and rely on the fact that people want to watch college football anyway and don't need to have propaganda and bias shoved down their throats.

Then they can narrate the season in a more open-ended fashion by touting how "any conference" and "any team" that shows up and makes the playoff can win and that parity reigns across the nation. I have never understood why it doesn't seem to make financial sense to ESPN to embrace and promote parity for the good of the sport itself as something which will only enhance the attraction to the games they broadcast. If they gave all conferences and teams a chance to let the season play out and prove themselves on the field and legitimately jostle into places in the polls then (just like in professional sports) the "rising tide" of national interest in the sport would "raise all boats" including ones they invest the most into like the SEC.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
ACC and SEC need to retire from bowl games apparently. I can't count how many all american WRs I've seen drop wide open passes.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Once again, Pitt manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Giving up 29 points in the fourth after giving up 6 the rest of the game isn't snatching defeat. It is total abomination of respectable football play.

And with that, the ACC bowl season ends on a whimper. 4-7 really sucks guys.

NC State, Clemson, VT and GT are the only ones to win that I see. Really sad for what is supposed to be the third best Power 5 conference.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I shudder to think what the media narrative would be if we had played poorly in the orange. GT and Clemson carried the banner for the conference this year.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I still don't know what game y'all were watching but outside of us, that was the best game Winston has played all year. I don't know what pass rush was getting him rattled but if not for drops on easy catches he would've completed about 75% of his passes for over 400 yards. The kid made 2 bad plays the entire game. The option at the goal line and the 4th down fumble that if his receivers could catch shouldn't have been a 4th down at all. Say what you want about the rest of the team but Winston came to play and I don't even like the kid or think he'll be any good in the pros.

Take nothing away from that Oregon offense though. The blocking schemes were impressive and Mariotta looked phenomenal.
I was not able to pen similar thoughts so I will just ditto all of yours about Winston. He can make it in the pros if he has an attitude adjustment but if not NO WAY.

slugboy

Staff member
Louisville, I can give a pass to--they were underdogs before they lost possibly their best player to grades. UNC, Pitt, Duke, FSU, and BC--all awful for different reasons. If it weren't for Pitt, I'd be looking at Duke and BC as the biggest chokes (Duke: a 65 yard kickoff return after taking the lead, then a pick at the ASU 14 yard line?)

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
We live in a glass house, having lost a lot of bowl games. But Duke needs to do better.

The bulk of the ACC losses and SEC wins are a bunch of 500 teams dry humping other 500 teams in front of family and friends.

The overall is a tiny datapoint IMHO. Our game counts more than that alone, and the Bama and FSU losses count more, much more.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
It seems most coaches think they must pass. Early in the game Pitt was slashing Uof H on the ground and then started passing. It seems many bowl teams did the same. I like CPJ's if they can't stop keep doing it. CPJ however has another play that is not necessary pass pass pass in his hip pocket to let loose when they finally adjust.